SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

AlphaMikeFoxtrot

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/unds-brent-johnson-and-jakob-hellsten-enter-the-transfer-portal

Johnson, a third-round pick of the Washington Capitals, has high-end offensive abilities, generating scoring chances through his skating and stickhandling.

But his issues defending left him at No. 8 on UND’s depth chart for the second half of the season.

Hellsten, who is 6-foot, 185 pounds, was looking at the prospect of being a backup to a transfer again as a junior. The Fighting Hawks will look to add a goalie out of the transfer portal this summer to compete for the starting job.

Hellsten’s departure also increases the likelihood of UND bringing in goalie commit Hobie Hedquist from the British Columbia Hockey League next season.

6 minutes ago, SiouxFanSince1990 said:

Any idea on why he’s leave UMASS? Too much competition?

He played the most games of all four of their goalies so I’m not sure on what the reasoning is. He last played Feb 17th after a 7-3 loss to BC. 

He did shut out Denver earlier in the season, so there’s that. 

55 minutes ago, brianvf said:

So far no "unexpected" portal entrants from UND, which would be a huge plus if it ends up that way.
If we're able to retain 18, 4, 24, etc...that'd be welcome for next season.

And I wonder how long until we hear future plans for Frisch, Gaber, etc.

I wouldn’t hold my breath.  Could be more. 

1 minute ago, Siouxfancrazy92 said:

I wouldn’t hold my breath.  Could be more. 

Yes, of course there could be.
But, you would think if you were already set on going portal route, that you'd want to get your name on the portal list as soon as possible to help your chances of getting picked up.
As Sicatoka mentioned earlier, a good chunk of the portal entrants don't find a new school as it is anyway.

14 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Yes, of course there could be.
But, you would think if you were already set on going portal route, that you'd want to get your name on the portal list as soon as possible to help your chances of getting picked up.
As Sicatoka mentioned earlier, a good chunk of the portal entrants don't find a new school as it is anyway.

You would think so, but it's surprising how often this hasn't been the case. Calder wasn't until 04/08, Budy 04/26. I do think you start to feel better after a week of it being open though. 

7 minutes ago, AJS said:

You would think so, but it's surprising how often this hasn't been the case. Calder wasn't until 04/08, Budy 04/26. I do think you start to feel better after a week of it being open though. 

Geez forgot all about Budy last year.
Looked him up...didn't realize he was playing for RPI this season.
30gp - 0g - 5a.

I think you could see the Swede back in his home country.  Just didn't do enough in the time he had the net to pass the eye test.

That's honestly one of the more confusing moves I've seen from the coaching staff.  Gotta take risks though I guess, just didn't pan out. 

4 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I think you could see the Swede back in his home country.  Just didn't do enough in the time he had the net to pass the eye test.

That's honestly one of the more confusing moves I've seen from the coaching staff.  Gotta take risks though I guess, just didn't pan out. 

You could see the athleticism in him. Just couldn't find the consistency.

3 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

You could see the athleticism in him. Just couldn't find the consistency.

It felt to me he would have a couple good games where you felt maybe he could be able to emerge as a future starter but then about the third game in a row he started would just be a complete stinker. 

• Upvote 1

Goalies that intrigue me:

-Kraws.  6'5, invited to Coyote camp last year.  2 years remain due to Covid year.

-Pavivich.  Big minutes in hockey east, two years left as well.

-Veltri.  Tons of games this past season.  Over 2,000 minutes in the net with 37 starts.  

-Lush.  25 year old Canadian...Wooger would love it!!

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Goalies that intrigue me:

-Kraws.  6'5, invited to Coyote camp last year.  2 years remain due to Covid year.

-Pavivich.  Big minutes in hockey east, two years left as well.

-Veltri.  Tons of games this past season.  Over 2,000 minutes in the net with 37 starts.  

-Lush.  25 year old Canadian...Wooger would love it!!

If Close comes back for his Covid year the Gophers will already have a 25 year old Canadian goalie.

6 is a real head-scratcher. I certainly understand why he is leaving but the treatment he received from the coaching staff is baffling. No ice time after early December when 4 and 24 looked lost a lot of their time on the ice. There is a story there - I hope we get to hear it. UND did him no favor by bringing him in before he was ready for D1 hockey.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

6 is a real head-scratcher. I certainly understand why he is leaving but the treatment he received from the coaching staff is baffling. No ice time after early December when 4 and 24 looked lost a lot of their time on the ice. There is a story there - I hope we get to hear it. UND did him no favor by bringing him in before he was ready for D1 hockey.

I could see him ending up in a Big Ten locker room next year.  Like an Ohio State or Penn State. 

3 hours ago, brianvf said:

So far no "unexpected" portal entrants from UND, which would be a huge plus if it ends up that way.
If we're able to retain 18, 4, 24, etc...that'd be welcome for next season.

And I wonder how long until we hear future plans for Frisch, Gaber, etc.

I could live with 24 entering too. He was the 4th or 5th best D on his AJHL team, underwhelmed in the USHL.

Give the minutes to a young D. 

1 hour ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

Yep, played in the USHL in his 17-18 year old season and could have easily done 1 more.
Being redundant here, but again, coaching staff tells Scott Morrow he has to wait a year - he bails. 

So they're brining in a smallish defenseman at age 18, while at the same time telling another defenseman who's 8 months older he's not ready (who a simple google search would tell you had 1st rd pick potential.)

Any time the state of our blueline comes up I just can't get over it. Especially seeing as the player has came out and straight up said he decommitted because the coaching staff didn't believe in him. No speculation or room for interpretation there, that is 100% our staff bungling it.