SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

AlphaMikeFoxtrot

1 hour ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

11 fowards 2 recruits for next year 

3 D   With 5 recruits 

1 G with 1 recruit 

yep this team will look way different next year. 

Um ... 

16F: two age out, one portal out, two expected recruits -> 15F
8D: three age out, two portal out, one expected to sign, one might, five recruits -> TBD (expect to land at 8D) 
3G: one age out, one portal out, expect two incoming (source TBD) -> 3G 

It'll look different at G and D but the forwards have a lot of continuity. 

27 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I saw Kleven become a much, much more responsible defender and much smarter physical player down the stretch, this year. Plus, he had some massive goals. This is a blend he has to find no matter what league he plays in unless he wants to donate his brain to science one day.

Completely agree. Without better O (specifically vision) he’s going to have a very hard time staying in the NHL. 

45 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I saw Kleven become a much, much more responsible defender and much smarter physical player down the stretch, this year. Plus, he had some massive goals. This is a blend he has to find no matter what league he plays in unless he wants to donate his brain to science one day.

There was a play against the wall behind our net in the St Cloud game where there was a big hit to finish and he pulled up.  He really cleaned up his act down the stretch.

1 hour ago, dustnyou said:

College hockey is the wrong league for Mr. Kleven right now. Coming back to und would actually be bad for his development . Time to go. 

Could go either way. He was a beast down the stretch, when he basically eliminated hitting from his game. He could get some benefit rounding out the rest of his game for an entire season + would get his choice of where to go pro and pick a favorable spot. 

On the other hand, part of his pro appeal is the physicality, which you're right - is absolutely being officiated out of the current college game. The possibility of a major hanging over your head every time you play the body is not ideal. 

27 minutes ago, sparky8701 said:

Could go either way. He was a beast down the stretch, when he basically eliminated hitting from his game. He could get some benefit rounding out the rest of his game for an entire season + would get his choice of where to go pro and pick a favorable spot. 

On the other hand, part of his pro appeal is the physicality, which you're right - is absolutely being officiated out of the current college game. The possibility of a major hanging over your head every time you play the body is not ideal. 

I completely agree with your take here. Can he further round out his game ? I think so. But I envision his best shot at being a future NHL mainstay is a 3rd pairing, hard hitting, shut down defenseman . And for that purpose I think he would be better off signing now, potentially making an nhl debut this season and developing in the AHL next year. But as a selfish Sioux fan I would be ecstatic if he returned. 

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/riese-gaber-to-return-to-und-for-senior-season

"This place means everything to me," Gaber said. "I've been so fortunate to get three years here. To have a fourth, and the opportunity that stands ahead, is pretty exciting."

"It was the toughest decision I've ever had to make," Gaber said. "One day, I would be leaning toward that I was going to leave. Then, an hour later, I'd be looking the other way. There were a lot of conversations had. I think I have more to give. As a team, everyone has a bad taste in their mouths from this year. It's something we can learn from and make an exciting year happen next year."

"As far as personal accolades go, I'm not worried about any of those," Gaber said. "I'll set some individual goals, but as of right now, making the national tournament and making a run at that ninth banner is first on my list."

Gaber's return gives UND a loaded forward group for next season.

Among the top contenders to play on the top two lines: NCHC rookie of the year Jackson Blake, Detroit Red Wings pick Dylan James, Philadelphia Flyers pick Owen McLaughlin, Boston Bruins pick Jake Schmaltz, Vancouver Canucks pick Jackson Kunz and USHL star Jayden Perron, who will be a freshman.

UND is still waiting for a decision from senior Judd Caulfield on whether he will turn pro or use his COVID-impacted year to come back for a fifth season. Caulfield is a Pittsburgh Penguins pick.

"Knowing the group we're going to have was definitely very appealing," Gaber said. "Obviously, with the amount of firepower we have, that's something that's very exciting."

• Upvote 2

A good nucleus of forwards coming back.  Find the playmaker that can play center between 17 and 9.  Maybe he's not on the team yet, maybe 22 has a summer with Poolman and becomes the guy. 

Judd coming back to play on a grind line with Ness and Albrecht wouldn't be the worst thing.  More news coming soon. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Some of that frustration is directed at the posts and crossbars though, haha. If he can be less predictable, look out.

Right and use his teammates a bit more. But again, his coming back is huge.

27 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

A good nucleus of forwards coming back.  Find the playmaker that can play center between 17 and 9.  Maybe he's not on the team yet, maybe 22 has a summer with Poolman and becomes the guy. 

Judd coming back to play on a grind line with Ness and Albrecht wouldn't be the worst thing.  More news coming soon. 

A hard no to Albrecht coming back, even though he played OK for the last month or so. I see no point to keeping forth liners. They don't contribute enough to justify clogging up the pipeline.

• Upvote 1

In summary - this season was a disaster - we are offloading some guys who didn't develop at all here including some draft picks.  We are hoping to get home ice next year - it will be the third year we get a portal goalie.  Meanwhile in the big picture - 3 of our big rivals are loaded, top seeded, and playing fast and with skill - Gophers, Michigan, and of course Denver.  Even if next year pans out like we hope we will be light years away from the top.  Look at the Gophers top line and then look at ours.  Berry and Co. need a course correction now or we could be in for a long slow ride.  We need top talent again and soon.  So far all we hear from Berry is the "culture" talk.  

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

16 minutes ago, Irish said:

In summary - this season was a disaster - we are offloading some guys who didn't develop at all here including some draft picks.  We are hoping to get home ice next year - it will be the third year we get a portal goalie.  Meanwhile in the big picture - 3 of our big rivals are loaded, top seeded, and playing fast and with skill - Gophers, Michigan, and of course Denver.  Even if next year pans out like we hope we will be light years away from the top.  Look at the Gophers top line and then look at ours.  Berry and Co. need a course correction now or we could be in for a long slow ride.  We need top talent again and soon.  So far all we hear from Berry is the "culture" talk.  

Can we just get one thread that doesn't devolve into this? Just one?

We get it. You don't like program right now. Does it have to be repeated over and over?

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, brianvf said:

"This place means everything to me," Gaber said. "I've been so fortunate to get three years here. To have a fourth, and the opportunity that stands ahead, is pretty exciting.

Don't suppose the Coaching staff had anything to do with him thinking this place is special and means everything to him?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Can we just get one thread that doesn't devolve into this? Just one?

We get it. You don't like program right now. Does it have to be repeated over and over?

As long as we have seasons and droughts like this one - yes. Are you happy with how things are going with our program?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

40 minutes ago, Irish said:

How did we ever beat them on their home ice and take them to overtime the other game when we were playing poor defensive hockey.

2 minutes ago, tnt said:

How did we ever beat them on their home ice and take them to overtime the other game when we were playing poor defensive hockey.

A great game followed by a long slide.  It showed our potential and what possibly could have been. We expected a team like this for the season and a top 5 team nationally.  

12 minutes ago, Irish said:

As long as we have seasons and droughts like this one - yes. Are you happy with how things are going with our program?

No! We all know it's not been good! Do we have to hear about it 700 times in every thread though? My goodness. Just makes this place so miserable. All of the same points are just railroaded over and over and over

• Upvote 4