SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

AlphaMikeFoxtrot

10 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

Whoaaaaa Nellie if they DON’T make the NCAA’s next season.  That “Boo Berry” thread will be LIT!

I don't know where BB's contract sits, but next year will be pivotal in a LOT of people's minds, including those who have stood by him.

• Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, burd said:

I don't know where BB's contract sits, but next year will be pivotal in a LOT of people's minds, including those who have stood by him.

Grand Forks Herald

By Brad Elliott Schlossman

March 02, 2022 at 10:05 AM

Berry signed a new deal that will keep him under contract with the school through the 2025-26 season. Berry's previous contract, a five-year deal, was set to run out in June 2023.

Berry will make a base salary of $450,204 beginning next season and will receive 3 percent raises each year for the remainder of his contract. He also has numerous incentives in his contract — winning the Penrose Cup (8 percent of base salary), hosting playoff games (2 percent), winning NCAA tournament games and team academic benchmarks (6 percent) to name a few — that could push the value higher.

10 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

Whoaaaaa Nellie if they DON’T make the NCAA’s next season.  That “Boo Berry” thread will be LIT!

I put Berry and Sather in the same category in 2023-24: We're watching ... tick-tock ... 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Thinking it won't matter because Kleven will be a Senator soon.:lol:

I have a feeling Frisch is back.  He's a get your masters type kid.  If he's back let it ride with 4, 24, and the frosh d men, although likely one lefty d man on the way from the portal.

Two portal goalies if Hedquist is staying in the BCHL.  If he's coming then you've got to be sure your Portal guy can play 20 plus games. 

Agree on Kleven (burn a year on the ELC if you can). 

I pray you're right on Frisch. I'd run him and 4 and 24 and 5 freshmen also. Got a name on this "lefty D" you assume? And a lefty D would stun me.*

I'd bring in two goalies no matter what, be they both portal or portal + HH. I'd tell 32 it's up to him if we run 3 or 4 G in the fall. 

Left shot D (in-house or pipeline): Moore Bast Benoit Jubenvill Wiebe Livanavage Ausmus Strathmann McInnis
Right shot D (in-house or pipeline): Frisch(?) and Komzak 
assumed five in coming freshmen are bold; we need right shot D

16 hours ago, tnt said:

Next season starts by the coaches forcing themselves and their team to watch the NCAA selection show today and knowing they all had a hand in us watching rivals being seeded in what should have been our regional.  Maybe they will work this off-season to correct that.

They should also be forced to watch all of the Gopher, Michigan, and Denver playoff games to see what teams with talent and speed look like.  However, if looking at our goalie situation doesn't dial them in I don't know what will.  It's been a long long time since I have seen a Sioux Hockey coaching staff flounder this much.

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, Irish said:

They should also be forced to watch all of the Gopher, Michigan, and Denver playoff games to see what teams with talent and speed look like.  However, if looking at our goalie situation doesn't dial them in I don't know what will.  It's been a long long time since I have seen a Sioux Hockey coaching staff flounder this much.

Bubs if @Irish gets his way ... 

naranja_mecanica2.jpg

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

And the Swede is in the portal.  Two new goalies for sure, one of them Hedquist.

1 hour ago, AJS said:

This is a good move by the Coaching staff. Hedquist / Portal Goalie is the way to go next year.

Agreed.
That seems the logical path here.
Hedquist gets groomed by a portal goalie with NCAA experience and then takes over the reigns in a year or two.

1 hour ago, johnsowe said:

ugh another year of no goalie and defense

If we find a shutdown goalie out of the portal, that will cover a lot of sins by the young d-corps.

52 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

Maybe we can even find a portal goalie with more than one season of eligibility…

That'd be a huge plus.

So far no "unexpected" portal entrants from UND, which would be a huge plus if it ends up that way.
If we're able to retain 18, 4, 24, etc...that'd be welcome for next season.

And I wonder how long until we hear future plans for Frisch, Gaber, etc.