SiouxSports.com Forum

Potential NIT Style Post Season Hockey Tourney

nodak651

Potential NIT Style Post Season Hockey Tourney  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Would UND Participate?

• YES
    • NO
  2. 2. SHOULD UND Participate? (For player experience/revenue/etc)

• YES
    • NO

Per Schloss, The Gazelle Group, which runs the College Basketball Invitational, is gauging interest for a secondary college hockey postseason event.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/an-nit-for-college-hockey-a-group-is-exploring-the-idea

Teams will be required to submit a $30,000 bid to host a quarterfinal, $30,000 to host a semifinal and $40,000 to host a championship game. Road teams will receive a travel stipend between $5,000 and $20,000, depending on travel distance.

Host teams would retain revenue from tickets, media, sponsorships, parking and concessions. Host teams also would be responsible for the cost of game operations.

Would likely be an additional revenue driver for the REA/UND, and it would give the younger guys additional ice time and game experience, which would help with the following year.  The hockey team has higher goals, however, and I could see how they wouldn't be interested.  Pretty sure some p5 schools don't participate in the basketball NIT, for example, because they feel like they are above it in a way.  Could see how the coaches would feel the same way.

Thoughts?  Would/should UND participate?  

I don't know how I feel about this. At first glance I'm not super interested. I feel like players are wanting to go pro when the season is done... why add extra meaningless games?  I don't think it us something I would travel to go see because again, what's the point? I assume there is some sort of trophy but what's it for, 17th best team in the country?

22 minutes ago, WiSioux said:

I don't know how I feel about this. At first glance I'm not super interested. I feel like players are wanting to go pro when the season is done... why add extra meaningless games?  I don't think it us something I would travel to go see because again, what's the point? I assume there is some sort of trophy but what's it for, 17th best team in the country?

Omaha, St Cloud and other teams would relish an opportunity to raise that banner.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, WiSioux said:

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Hoping we're in the real one, but not a terrible idea.  Could see guys opting out though.  

From a UND perspective, I agree with both of you.  At the same time, it could also be kinda fun if it was viewed in the same respect as a spring game in college football.  Let the guys who want to sign pro leave.  There are a lot of guys that put in a ton of work during the season that don't see the ice much.  Let those guys and the younger kids get some more game reps than usual and use it to build for the following season.  Let the third string goalie play a period, etc.  Fans would also get to see the team once or twice more.   Biggest draw back imo is that the first round would be the same weekend as regional  but perhaps it could help UND fans cope, lol. 

Could also help to build fan support at smaller or newer programs (see sdsu basketball and their nit run).  

Not really much to dislike if ya accept it for what it is imo.  I'd prob watch regional games instead, personally.

• Upvote 2

Wish the poll had a third option...should but probably won't.

Unpopular take, but (1) only two teams end the year happy; (2) why not get the extra practices and games; (3) if it's a money maker, then the revenue can only help the program and department.  Let the pro-bound bail, but clear the benches and get some ice time for those guys further down the trough.

Also, even if you end up on the road, a chance for UND fans (and prospects) in unusual parts of the country a chance to see the team and its legendary traveling fan base.

Win the darn thing, and feel good about the next season.  Banners optional.

2 hours ago, nodak651 said:

From a UND perspective, I agree with both of you.  At the same time, it could also be kinda fun if it was viewed in the same respect as a spring game in college football.  Let the guys who want to sign pro leave.  There are a lot of guys that put in a ton of work during the season that don't see the ice much.  Let those guys and the younger kids get some more game reps than usual and use it to build for the following season.  Let the third string goalie play a period, etc.  Fans would also get to see the team once or twice more.   Biggest draw back imo is that the first round would be the same weekend as regional  but perhaps it could help UND fans cope, lol. 

Could also help to build fan support at smaller or newer programs (see sdsu basketball and their nit run).  

Not really much to dislike if ya accept it for what it is imo.  I'd prob watch regional games instead, personally.

What if you have the odd situation where 3 or so defensemen want to possibly start their pro career and burn a year on their contract.  I certainly hope it doesn’t happen, because there aren’t that many hockey teams like there is in basketball.  Nearly every team making a postseason tourney seems odd, because many wouldn’t even have winning records.

10 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Unpopular take, but (1) only two teams end the year happy; (2) why not get the extra practices and games; (3) if it's a money maker, then the revenue can only help the program and department.  Let the pro-bound bail, but clear the benches and get some ice time for those guys further down the trough.

Also, even if you end up on the road, a chance for UND fans (and prospects) in unusual parts of the country a chance to see the team and its legendary traveling fan base.

Not sure you'll see many fans traveling for this after a season long of travel, but maybe I'm too pessimistic about the whole idea

11 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Agree.  I just added it as a second poll question.