SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ NDSU 11/19/2022

SiouxFan100

16 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

NDSU has scored on its first run in the Spring 2021 game and its second run last Saturday.  We need to stop with "we are prepared BS".  Bison coaches obviously saw something in film they could exploit in both cases and executed.  I guess we could just say they got "LUCKY".  Set the tone in both games.

Or they knew their corn-fed hogs would blast our DL/LBs

35 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Its always great to be reviewing, evaluating and adapting with everything in life, especially football, but watch the NDSU game again, then watch 2021.  Body type, and base alignment has very little to do with why we are not prevailing against NDSU and SDSU. In fact I think the same case can be made for the spring 2021 game too.  In the last 6 games against the two best teams in FCS during that time period, we are 1-5 and very easily could be 3-3.  IMO it has far more to do with preparation, game planning and in-game coaching and adjustments.  It's the same reason we escape with a close win against an inferior opponent or last years melt-down at Missouri State.  Before you get all bent out of shape think about what I am saying and watch the film again.  Film doesn't lie.

Talent and speed makes up for alot of issues that may arise during a play/game

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, shep said:

Or they knew their corn-fed hogs would blast our DL/LBs

Watch the Spring game. They pull guards AWAY from the run.  Had nothing to do with size/speed/talent and everything to do with preparation.  Here is the second run of game.  Notice the formation and how they got our D to line up.

Screenshot (4884).png

SDSU Defensive participation against us:

DL:

6’3” 250lbs , 6’4”245lbs, 6’4” 280lbs and 6’1” 270lbs  

LB:

5’9” 200lbs, 6’1” 200lbs, 6’215lbs  

Our players are big enough  I did similar comparison earlier with NDSU size on OL and DL  “It ain’t this size of the dog in the fight it’s the size of the fight in the dog”. 
We can’t seem to stay focused on the topic  The fact is if you look at film you can’t tell why we made good plays or why we failed  So much of what is pontificated is nonsense.  Some of you have no answer except fire all of the coaches  Everything is their fault. It isn’t. It’s their  responsibility  Some think we aren’t big enough but comparing ht and wt from team rosters doesn’t bear that out.  This thread should be focused on the next game and Weber State.  If we play up to our full capabilities we can win this  We can’t miss assignments, we can’t miss tackles, we can’t have stupid penalties, we have to cover punts  and KO’s and all 11 guys need to do their job every play all day long  If we do that we can win  It doesn’t matter what the program says about ht and wt  The program doesn’t list heart and desire.  Go Hawks  

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

If you guys couldn't see we are too slow and weak on defense vs the top teams then this board is helpless.  

Every team has strengths and weaknesses.  The job of the coach is to make the sum of the parts greater than those parts individually and to use his strengths to exploit the opponents weaknesses.  Don't forget in the last 2 calendar years we beat SDSU in the spring, had a chance at the end of the game last fall and made the worst coaching decision in the history of UND football early in the third qtr or would have beaten NDSU last fall.  

10 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

DL:

LB:

Our players are big enough  I did similar comparison earlier with NDSU size on OL and DL  “It ain’t this size of the dog in the fight it’s the size of the fight in the dog”. 
We can’t seem to stay focused on the topic  The fact is if you look at film you can’t tell why we made good plays or why we failed  So much of what is pontificated is nonsense.  Some of you have no answer except fire all of the coaches  Everything is their fault  it isn’t  it’s heir responsibility  Some think we aren’t big enough but comparing ht and wt from team rosters doesn’t bear that out.  This thread should be focused on the next game and Weber State.  If we play up to our full capabilities we can win this  We can’t miss assignments, we can’t miss tackles, we can’t have stupid penalties, we have to cover pints and KO’s and all 11 guys need to do their job every play all day long  If we do that we can win  It doesn’t matter what the program says about ht and wt  The program doesn’t list heart and desire.  Go Hawks  

True every single week the last 3 seasons at least.  Let's roll Weber.

11 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Every team has strengths and weaknesses.  The job of the coach is to make the sum of the parts greater than those parts individually and to use his strengths to exploit the opponents weaknesses.  Don't forget in the last 2 calendar years we beat SDSU in the spring, had a chance at the end of the game last fall and made the worst coaching decision in the history of UND football early in the third qtr or would have beaten NDSU last fall.  

I am living in 2022.  Read what I wrote. 

4 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

I am living in 2022.  Read what I wrote. 

I don't disagree, but that is always the case at certain positions and is the case with the guys to our south too.  Did you notice when we got burned on the long pass last weekend when we had NDSU backed up, our "slow" secondary members ran down the SU receiver like he was chained to a post?  Much more going on.  Watch that play.  They are in trips and we have one high safety and man? underneath?  The FS makes a move towards the one receiver side for some reason and Kaupinen lets the WR run right by him.

1 hour ago, iramurphy said:

DL:

LB:

We can’t seem to stay focused on the topic  The fact is if you look at film you can’t tell why we made good plays or why we failed  So much of what is pontificated is nonsense.  Some of you have no answer except fire all of the coaches  Everything is their fault. It isn’t. It’s their  responsibility  Some think we aren’t big enough but comparing ht and wt from team rosters doesn’t bear that out.  This thread should be focused on the next game and Weber State.  If we play up to our full capabilities we can win this  We can’t miss assignments, we can’t miss tackles, we can’t have stupid penalties, we have to cover punts  and KO’s and all 11 guys need to do their job every play all day long  If we do that we can win  It doesn’t matter what the program says about ht and wt  The program doesn’t list heart and desire.  Go Hawks  

Then why do they look bigger? Roster lists are one thing. Reality is another.

This also highlights why I’m a proponent of a 4-3, you can better get away with smallish fast LBs since there is another big body in front of them to eat blocks.

23 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

I know most of you aren’t a fan of Mauch and his antics but I think he’s a top tier troll and I respect it because his play more than backs it up.

I actually agree 100%.. by the way if you have a problem with this go check out our fellas when we played Youngstown this year.

it would have been nice if our guys played more like they did against YSU and less like they did against NDSU.

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

I know most of you aren’t a fan of Mauch and his antics but I think he’s a top tier troll and I respect it because his play more than backs it up.

I paid attention to him quite a bit on Saturday. I didn’t know anything about him but I sat next to his cousin the week before at the UND hockey game.   He’s a special needs man and was very proud to tell me about his cousin.  Told me I’d recognize him by his hair.  I asked if he could get him to transfer to UND but he laughed at me and said he didn’t think so. 

3 hours ago, wheelsup said:

I actually agree 100%.. by the way if you have a problem with this go check out our fellas when we played Youngstown this year.

it would have been nice if our guys played more like they did against YSU and less like they did against NDSU.

Yup noticed quite a few penguin walks at Youngstown - If you don't do it in an opponents face or to their bench it's all in fun I guess. 

22 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

I don't mind trolling.  But that is sorta asking for a taunting flag.  Pretty fun though to see linemen show a little personality though.

On 11/24/2022 at 8:57 AM, iramurphy said:

DL:

LB:

The fight in the dog for UND has been disappointing in big games. Need to either train a meaner dog or get a new one. 

Perpetually defending the coaches is also an extreme end of the spectrum. Everyone needs to do their job. The current program is stale. 

Development is key, but eliminating termination as an option is narrow-minded and foolish, in my opinion.

As for the reality of the situation, carry on. No major changes coming. It’s about everyone doing their job better. 

9 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

The fight in the dog for UND has been disappointing in big games. Need to either train a meaner dog or get a new one. 

Perpetually defending the coaches is also an extreme end of the spectrum. Everyone needs to do their job. The current program is stale. 

Development is key, but eliminating termination as an option is narrow-minded and foolish, in my opinion.

As for the reality of the situation, carry on. No major changes coming. It’s about everyone doing their job better. 

My comments aren’t defending the coaches. It is a comment on the regurgitation of the same stuff week after week by the same posters. I have commented that I believe it derails many discussions. I have felt because there will be no change during the middle of a season it serves no purpose to insert the same complaints about coaches into virtually every discussion. I have believed that before we make wholesale change we better have a viable solution in place that we have full confidence will not set the program back but will likely be an improvement. Most of the fire the coach comments don’t show much more than a shallow understanding (if that much) as to the total picture and the complexities of building or tearing down a program. I am of the opinion that I support my staff up until the day I let them go. Each year staff is evaluated and among other things, they are asked what else they need to be successful. Then as an employer or a supervisor, before I consider change I self evaluate as to whether or not I have provided all of the resources that we mutually agreed were necessary for success. I am not sure that means I’m narrow minded or not. You may think so but I don’t believe I see a depth of understanding in the majority of fire people posts. Some want faster receivers. I posed the question: how fast is fast enough?.  4.6 fast enough? We know 40 times but I would rather know how quick we get off the LOS, how quick we can accelerate to full speed, how quick can we play FB within 20yds on both sides of the LOS. Arguably the fastest WR in our history struggled to catch the FB. We need bigger guys. Our listed sizes are similar to listed sizes for NDSU and SDSU. This is a pretty darn good group of asst coaches and from what recruits and parents have told me they do a good job. Show me an upgrade and I’m all for it, but let’s do that when the season is over. If that’s narrow minded then I’m guilty. Otherwise these guys have slowly improved the program so they have my public support until I see a change that will do better. Just my opinion which is no more valid than most anyone else’s. 

• Like 1