SiouxSports.com Forum

Week #4....The Devils and Vegas....

Wilbur

3 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I'll take that W, but I'm done with outdoor ice gimmickry too. 
So will the rest of hockey fandom the first time bad ice costs a superstar a season. 

I don’t thing Hockey East will ever give up the Frozen Fenway games they are bringing back this year.

On 10/30/2022 at 8:31 AM, ChrisUND1 said:

A regular season loss.  Sucks but oh well. 

This wasn’t the Frozen Four.  I’ve been at some of those semifinal losses and even then still had fun in whatever city it was in.  

True but it’s November tomorow and our NC record isn’t great. We’ve played good teams but I thought our record would be a click better. Getting absolutely dominated by ASU in everything other than the final score was a bit odd. And I actually think ASU will be a solid squad this year. That was no Washington generals squad.

2 hours ago, FightingSU said:

B1G is trash.

I know this is an..... 'I heard it from a guy who heard it from a guy' but I was told about a week ago that we are headed there eventually.  I'm not a fan of that but its what I heard. 

The guy that told me is very well connected with the hockey program and he wouldn't say who it was that told him but only said the source is very high up.   whatever that means. 

I imagine that the $$$ would be the draw. Within a few years each fully participating B1G school will get around $100M annually from their new TV contract.   I assume we'd be hockey only and get a small sliver but even that could be a relatively big number.  

13 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

I know this is an..... 'I heard it from a guy who heard it from a guy' but I was told about a week ago that we are headed there eventually.  I'm not a fan of that but its what I heard. 

The guy that told me is very well connected with the hockey program and he wouldn't say who it was that told him but only said the source is very high up.   whatever that means. 

I imagine that the $$$ would be the draw. Within a few years each fully participating B1G school will get around $100M annually from their new TV contract.   I assume we'd be hockey only and get a small sliver but even that could be a relatively big number.  

If invited, we say yes. Period.

Building up hockey and lacrosse is a good way for B1G to differentiate from SEC. Rutgers lacrosse was in the Final Four and Maryland was the champ this year.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Why are 90% + of all the top recruits goi g there then?

This is a false narrative. Michigan and BU have had a lot of high end recruits over the past 5-10 years and that has recently shifted to Minnesota. However, the rest of the Big Ten combined has one first round pick (Wisconsin) and no 2nd round picks. Over the past 10 years, UND has as many first round picks as any school other than Michigan and Minnesota, and UND is very close to Minnesota. Currently, DU has 4 2nd round picks, UND has 2 2nd round picks, UMD has a first round pick, and SCSU and Omaha have 1 2nd round pick each. UND has also had a lot of recent 1st round picks, including Sanderson, JBD, Jost, Boeser, Schmaltz and Pinto was a high 2nd round pick. The NCHC has also won 5 of the last 6 NCAA tournaments, so the sky is falling narrative isn't resonating with me just yet. 

• Upvote 1

With two losses in destination games to new programs, it feels like a proverbial passing of the torch to the upstarts. Hit the brakes on destinations and focus on scheduling big name OOC opponents.

Felt like we were gonna pot another one to go up 3-0 on the PP, then suddenly we're on the PK and the whole game shifted. Was tough to watch. Had to choose between this weekend and a bucket list trip in a few weeks and can only imagine how mad I'd be if I hadn't chosen the latter.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Gma loves hockey said:

I doubt Arizona would have been celebrating so much if they had considered UND a mediocre  team.  They must have considered this an unexpected win.

Arizona State University considered it a big game, destination & storied program & highly ranked with tons of fans present.  I don't think Arizona saw it as a big game as they are an ACHA club team, maybe play NDSU as their big game.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, skateshattrick said:

This is a false narrative. Michigan and BU have had a lot of high end recruits over the past 5-10 years and that has recently shifted to Minnesota. However, the rest of the Big Ten combined has one first round pick (Wisconsin) and no 2nd round picks. Over the past 10 years, UND has as many first round picks as any school other than Michigan and Minnesota, and UND is very close to Minnesota. Currently, DU has 4 2nd round picks, UND has 2 2nd round picks, UMD has a first round pick, and SCSU and Omaha have 1 2nd round pick each. UND has also had a lot of recent 1st round picks, including Sanderson, JBD, Jost, Boeser, Schmaltz and Pinto was a high 2nd round pick. The NCHC has also won 5 of the last 6 NCAA tournaments, so the sky is falling narrative isn't resonating with me just yet. 

??? Do you follow general recruiting? I do.

im not going to go back 10, but looking back 3 and looking forward…I kind of see what going on. Even MSU has some heavy weights. I mean, we’ll continue to be good and pluck kids here and there (especially Canadians) but I’m not so convinced we’ll keep up with the top big 10 teams from a blue chip standpoint. We’ll have to back fill with over agers.

also (as a reread your entire post)…there’s a difference between great recruiting and bad recruiting. Very large space. I never even closely insinuated the “sky is falling” or we stink at recruiting.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Sol Diablo said:

Arizona State University considered it a big game, destination & storied program & highly ranked with tons of fans present.  I don't think Arizona saw it as a big game as they are an ACHA club team, maybe play NDSU as their big game.

While you're here, what's your review of the new arena? Spacious seats, good sight lines, etc.?

2 hours ago, FightingSU said:

Not after losing two in a row... Vegas may always be an outlier for that because its so easy and (relatively) cheap to travel there and people just enjoy going to Vegas for any reasons, sprinkle a marquise UND hockey game to take in while you're there... but Outside of Vegas, I think the program needs to see some more success before getting 15,000+ to Nashville,  or elsewhere.

150,000 North Dakotans in Arizona every winter.  Need a series in Tempe each year!

6 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Unpopular take, but here it is: 

No more destination games. 

It's too much about the destination and not enough about the game. 

considering the amount of shots in the 3rd periods at Mariucci....i don't the location had much to do with it other than bubs being senile.

2 hours ago, Sundog said:

I was at the Vegas game and have these comments:

As I, a 2x UND grad, watched the over the top intro, I leaned over to my daughter ( who, although never having been to North Dakota, was  a wearing a Sioux Jersey with an ASU hoodie underneath because she is a senior at ASU) and said "after this intro we better freaking win or its going to be embarassing."

After UND scored its second goal, my daughter leans over and says "Two goal lead, worst lead in hockey."

Finally, after ASU's road win in a hostile environment, they get no mention in the state's major newspaper the Arizona Republic.  Not one word.  Which is a shame for ASU and not good if you are trying to grow a college hockey team in Arizona.

After the game my daughter did go out with her ASU hoodie and got some good natured ribbing from some UND fans, but overall everyone was polite. 

Having been born, raised into Jr. high school in GF, but then high school & ASU, I wore a Sioux t shirt under my ASU jersey.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

54 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

I just don’t see the Big Ten member school presidents giving the green light to inviting UND into the conference as an affiliate member. We don’t fit their academic profile of J. Hopkins or Notre Dame. And I don’t say this to disrespect UND as an academic institution, just from what I know about the Big Ten, that’s the impression I get. 

Plus, economically speaking, how much would UND move the needle relative the Big Ten conference’s overall revenue stream? Why would they need UND to help Big Ten hockey? 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

I just don’t see the Big Ten member school presidents giving the green light to inviting UND into the conference as an affiliate member. We don’t fit their academic profile of J. Hopkins or Notre Dame. And I don’t say this to disrespect UND as an academic institution, just from what I know about the Big Ten, that’s the impression I get. 

Plus, economically speaking, how much would UND move the needle relative the Big Ten conference’s overall revenue stream? Why would they need UND to help Big Ten hockey? 

More tickets sold at 3M arena and the Kohl Center but that’s about it

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, SiouxHawkGuy said:

More tickets sold at 3M arena and the Kohl Center but that’s about it

big10 network membership numbers would go up...it's more than just butts in the seats.....streaming packages too....

we also have along ago history with the michigan schools too........

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, The Sicatoka said:

If (big IF) the B1G came knocking on UND's door, what's that say about the state of the BTHC? 

That they’re looking for a program that will come in and travel to opposing team rinks. It makes sense for us to join, I slightly can rationalize why they may want us, but highly doubt it ever does happen.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

I agree but when pressed my friend only repeated - “from a very high level source.”  I guess we’ll see