SiouxSports.com Forum

Week #4....The Devils and Vegas....

Wilbur

On 10/30/2022 at 7:52 AM, FightingSU said:

Exactly. That’s one of my problems when people bring up Berrys championship. That championship along with any good success in the playoffs close to that we’re all done with Hak recruits. Berry can’t recruit and it’s finally showing. 

Are you high? Who do you think was doing the recruiting when Hak was here? If you're going to knock the program at least have an understanding of it...

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

??? Do you follow general recruiting? I do.

im not going to go back 10, but looking back 3 and looking forward…I kind of see what going on. Even MSU has some heavy weights. I mean, we’ll continue to be good and pluck kids here and there (especially Canadians) but I’m not so convinced we’ll keep up with the top big 10 teams from a blue chip standpoint. We’ll have to back fill with over agers.

also (as a reread your entire post)…there’s a difference between great recruiting and bad recruiting. Very large space. I never even closely insinuated the “sky is falling” or we stink at recruiting.

That’s drager for you likes hearing his voice on the pa. When he wanted to review Kleven’s “minor” you could see sterns tell him you do that your talking to berry by yourself. 

Yes, REA was built as a preemptive move in case the BTHC ever happened. Someone had vision. 

But, we ain't the Golden Domers (BTHC) and we ain't Johns Hopkins (lacrosse). 

In a delusion long ago I said ... (and I guess they love it on GPL still now, they can't quit us :D ) ...  

On 11/22/2021 at 9:51 AM, The Sicatoka said:

They can't afford us. 

Before you misunderstand, I mean UND would need to make some stern demands, and get them all, before becoming a BTHC affiliate, namely:

- full autonomy on home game start times
- full rights to television on home games (for Midco contract) 
- full share of hockey BTN television revenues (as if not affiliate but as full B1G member, but just for hockey TV revenues; no partial shares because "affiliate") 
- full share of other B1G Hockey generated revenues 
- guarantee that for first five seasons as affiliate, UND Hockey revenues (inflation adjusted) at par or exceed last non-BTHC season (B1G to make whole if shortfall) 
- guaranteed scheduling agreements in other sports (MBB, WBB, FB, etc) meaning X games every Y seasons against someone in the B1G, including 20% of X being in Grand Forks

Otherwise, let Mariucci and Kohl sit empty and collect dust. 

PS - The day that happens my office will be 300 Twamley and @PCMwill be my press secretary. :D 

If the BTHC came calling, getting half that list would be awesome. (Hey, GPL, it's called a negotiations starting point: Ask for the stars, get the lunar landing rights and two satellites, one weather, one telcom.) 

But they ain't calling, like I said ... The day that happens my office will be 300 Twamley and @PCMwill be my press secretary.

1 hour ago, Siouxperman8 said:

I know this is an..... 'I heard it from a guy who heard it from a guy' but I was told about a week ago that we are headed there eventually.  I'm not a fan of that but its what I heard. 

The guy that told me is very well connected with the hockey program and he wouldn't say who it was that told him but only said the source is very high up.   whatever that means. 

I imagine that the $$$ would be the draw. Within a few years each fully participating B1G school will get around $100M annually from their new TV contract.   I assume we'd be hockey only and get a small sliver but even that could be a relatively big number.  

what do we make currently from tv and whatnot being a member of the nchc....?

1 minute ago, The Sicatoka said:

We ain't the Golden Domers (BTHC) and we ain't Johns Hopkins (lacrosse). 

In a delusion long ago I said ... (and I guess they love it on GPL still now, they can't quit us :D ) ...  

If the BTHC came calling, getting half that list would be awesome. (Hey, GPL, it's called a negotiations starting point: Ask for the stars, get the lunar landing rights and two satellites.) 

But they ain't calling, like I said ... The day that happens my office will be 300 Twamley and @PCMwill be my press secretary.

what concessions/money did johns hopkins get when they were added?

8 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

what concessions/money did johns hopkins get when they were added?

B1G is a private entity.
Not sure anyone, even @nodak651, can FOIA that. 

And the B1G has enough trying to fold in USCLA.
They ain't comin' for us and hockey.  
And if they did, it's a tell that they have problems. 

10 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

Is it fair to say that UND losing to ASU may be a big point in their favor towards membership into the NCHC? Gotta think three straight wins over NCHC teams (even wins over lowly CC) would count for something for ASU. 

maybe they (asu) know that und could leave for the big10..if so would they (asu) even want into the nchc...they could just keep doing what their doing?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

B1G is a private entity.
Not sure anyone, even @nodak651, can FOIA that. 

And the B1G has enough trying to fold in USCLA.
They ain't comin' for us and hockey.  
And if they did, it's a tell that they have problems. 

but part of them takingon uscla goes to show that they want to be the best and have the best.....they will do weird things like add two schools 1k miles away....adding UND in hockey isn't out the realm of possibility....

remember...whether or not your und or the other und ...neither are aau!

4 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

While you're here, what's your review of the new arena? Spacious seats, good sight lines, etc.?

Am still in NW Minnesota.  Got to the Mullett prior to opening but only seen the games on PAC12 network.  Of course not as impressive as The Ralph nor the charm & history of The Old Barn & it's warming rooms for the fans.  But I'll be there soon in shorts & sandals to check it out!

(Trying to make lemonade from lemons here …)

this game was a fabulous sales pitch from the NCHC to Arizona State U hockey.   As far as hockey support goes, “the big time” means NCHC.  As far as championships go, that also means NCHC.  

quick math … adding ASU to NCHC would almost double total enrollment of the conference. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Big A HG said:

The program, Hak > Berry, is starting to feel a lot like Woog > Lucia.  The sooner we realize that Berry is a really good guy, but a mediocre coach, the sooner we can get back to championship ways.

Agreed.   I mean, has he ever won coach of the year in a conference or league that was even mediocre?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 90siouxfan said:

I've been wondering if our scoring woes are tied to both Berry and Hakstol being defensemen and the emphasis on defensive responsibilities that is required in the NHL.  Could this have slowly dampened high end scorers that thrive on creativity from coming here?

The 2016 title team was explosive on offense. It was built by Hak and coached by Berry. So I think the answer is more complicated than that.

3 hours ago, farce poobah said:

(Trying to make lemonade from lemons here …)

this game was a fabulous sales pitch from the NCHC to Arizona State U hockey.   As far as hockey support goes, “the big time” means NCHC.  As far as championships go, that also means NCHC.  

quick math … adding ASU to NCHC would almost double total enrollment of the conference. 

Good defense won us a title in 2016, we seem to have forgotten how to play defense this year…..

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

The 2016 title team was explosive on offense. It was built by Hak and coached by Berry. So I think the answer is more complicated than that.

The 2016 title team had finishers and not just one or two. I remember wanting to beat my head into a wall watching Hakstol's team play before Christmas. The New Year would roll around and everything would be right in the world of hockey.

33 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

In all fairness, Hak couldn't win with Hak guys so it'd kind of unfair to ding Berry on that argument alone. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TheFlop said:

In all fairness, Hak couldn't win with Hak guys so it'd kind of unfair to ding Berry on that argument alone. 

Exactly, let's go find the Fire Hak thread. The whole Berry won with Haks guys argument is kinda lame too. Hak has final say but all the coach's recruit and have input. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

The 2016 team had 1 line who could score on any regular basis; the CSB trio.   The remaining key forwards were essentially grinders who could only score 20-25 pts in their best season (Chyzyk, Johnson, Gardner, Poganski, Sanderson).

The core of that championship team was the insanely deep D-core.  I mean they made Cam Johnson look like Patrick Roy that season.