SiouxSports.com Forum

Week #4....The Devils and Vegas....

Wilbur

10 hours ago, N of GF said:

It has been said here that some players are bound to be drawn to the Big just because of the national recognition of the name. As is his way, he takes that and inflates it into everyone here agreeing the Big is superior in all ways, and we should all be okay with that.

FS4L, is this where you're going with this? If so, I guess I can see your point, but my vibe around this is that people don't agree that we're trending that way. 

37 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

PS - ... it's always the other guy's "Stanley Cup". 

I was saying this to my buddy at the game. UND hypes itself up so much and there is so much pomp and circumstance. The other team has nothing to lose and the motivation to shut us fans up must be very high. After the game I said "man, I'd love to have the feeling of beating us at one of these games."

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, SiouxScore said:

Celebrate yes but to celebrate like you won some kind of championship just shows the difference for me in the programs. Yeah it is a destination game but at the end of the day it is just another non-con game and in the grand scheme of things nowhere near as big as Minnesota or even Quinnipiac who are likely to be teams who could be in the mix for a championship although in my opinion I don't think Q makes that type of run come March. Arizona State is celebrating like that because they think they proved something last night and it is a big thing for them, for UND it is a game they expect to win and should win. Honestly ASU celebrating like they did and putting so much into that game makes the UND performance all the more embarrassing in my mind.

I have no problem with them celebrating the way they did. If we don't like it, our boys should've done something about it. The fact of the matter is, at this very moment we are not a good team and these last three weeks could very well determine if we get in the NCAA tournament. We don't play very many non-conference games and to go 1-3-1 in non-conference play is not a good look for our team. 

• Upvote 4

54 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Unpopular take, but here it is: 

No more destination games. 

It's too much about the destination and not enough about the game. 

I don't see this happening.  Personally I'm done with the destinations games.  They are silly.  I don't need to see a hockey game to go on vacation or to have follow UND fans on the same vacation.  The flights are way over priced.  The game get hyped up way more that it should be.  It is one non-conference game.

From now on I'll wait for a frozen four game to over pay to watch a Sioux game in an NHL Arena.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

29 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

I have no problem with them celebrating the way they did. If we don't like it, our boys should've done something about it. 

This Nails it perfectly.  

ASU was brought in to be the Washington Generals and UND was to be the Globetrotters and they Spoiled the party.  Good for them, they deserved to celebrate.  I just hope it lights a fire under our team as they are under performing right now and should probably be 2-5.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

I think another issue is for a non-Frozen Four destination game, there are only two cities where you could get 15K people to go. Nashville and Vegas. Would you see less people each time you go back to those spots? I realize that wasn't the case for Vegas this time, but I think it would be moving forward. I cannot see over 10K going to any other location. 

On 10/30/2022 at 10:01 AM, fightingsioux4life said:

I've seen comments the last couple of years stating we cannot expect to land blue chip recruits anymore because kids want that "B1G experience". They imply our days as a blueblood program are essentially over. Even the implication pisses me off.

Whats the "B1G experience "? Playing second fiddle to football? Empty arenas on Thursday nights?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

At the very least, no more destination games until we win another national championship (or three).

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AJS said:

I think another issue is for a non-Frozen Four destination game, there are only two cities where you could get 15K people to go. Nashville and Vegas. Would you see less people each time you go back to those spots? I realize that wasn't the case for Vegas this time, but I think it would be moving forward. I cannot see over 10K going to any other location. 

Not after losing two in a row... Vegas may always be an outlier for that because its so easy and (relatively) cheap to travel there and people just enjoy going to Vegas for any reasons, sprinkle a marquise UND hockey game to take in while you're there... but Outside of Vegas, I think the program needs to see some more success before getting 15,000+ to Nashville,  or elsewhere.

There seems to be an obvious issue with recruiting. We used to get a couple offensive playmakers every two years or something like that. Under Berry, the offense has taken a back seat, and the defense has been pretty average the last couple years. Goaltending? Hard to say. The rise of Duluth, Mankato, and Mich Tech has to be hurting us in the early going of recruiting. 

I was at the Vegas game and have these comments:

As I, a 2x UND grad, watched the over the top intro, I leaned over to my daughter ( who, although never having been to North Dakota, was  a wearing a Sioux Jersey with an ASU hoodie underneath because she is a senior at ASU) and said "after this intro we better freaking win or its going to be embarassing."

After UND scored its second goal, my daughter leans over and says "Two goal lead, worst lead in hockey."

Finally, after ASU's road win in a hostile environment, they get no mention in the state's major newspaper the Arizona Republic.  Not one word.  Which is a shame for ASU and not good if you are trying to grow a college hockey team in Arizona.

After the game my daughter did go out with her ASU hoodie and got some good natured ribbing from some UND fans, but overall everyone was polite. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, AJS said:

Phoenix? Tampa?

ASU started trolling UND right after that game and people got sucked into it. Even Let’s Go DU said this would be a hilarious good rivalry in the NCHC. Powers calling UND “the blue blood” of college hockey before the game I thought was a bit much.

For people saying ASU won’t win a National Title, I just say it just a matter of time. I do think it will be Colton St. Clair that will do it for them. ASU isn’t going away and is going to be a team. 

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

But, if we're being completely honest here, will it ever not be incredibly sweet how UND spoiled UNO's baseball stadium game to take the indoor/outdoor weekend sweep?