SiouxSports.com Forum

Week #4....The Devils and Vegas....

Wilbur

26 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

Berry won a title with recruits from Hakstol and has steadily gone down hill from there, don’t remember many recuits Decommitting during Hak or Blais  eta. Time to try another head coach. 

Recruits decommitting isn't just a Berry thing.  It's a college hockey thing.  Didn't happen much at all 10+ years ago that I remember.  Now it seems like every program (especially the big ones) have it happen multiple times a year.

• Upvote 1

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/a-destination-game-dud-in-las-vegas

Playing against an Arizona State that entered the weekend allowing an average of 37.2 shots on goal per game, UND mustered just 15 shots on Sun Devils goalie T.J. Semptimphelter.

In the third period, while trailing by a goal, UND went nearly 18 minutes without registering a single shot on goal.

UND dropped to 3-3-1 this season as it continued to be an unpredictable team.

At times, the Fighting Hawks have generated offense with ease. UND has scored three goals in the span of less than five minutes during half of its first six games. At the same time, it has now gone through 10-minute stretches without a single shot on goal in back-to-back games, while conceding a lead in five straight.

Also didn't realize that Strinden was injured during the game:

Notes: UND played without injured defenseman Luke Bast and injured forwards Dane Montgomery and Carson Albrecht. Forward Ben Strinden suffered an injury in the first period and did not return. UND's extra skater was a defenseman, so the Fighting Hawks were unable to fill his spot on the fourth line.

If Montgomery, Albrecht, and Strinden are unable to play next weekend, we'll be playing every available forward.

Yea this team currently sucks, but lets keep things in perspective.  

How soon we forget we’re coming off a three-peat of league titles.  That’s something nobody in our league has achieved since we did it under Blais 23 years ago.   

Sure a natty would've been nice, but, sweet jesus, the sky isn't falling.  

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

37 minutes ago, SKondrashkin said:

How soon we forget we’re coming off a three-peat of league titles.  That’s something nobody in our league has achieved since we did it under Blais 23 years ago.   

Cute.

• Upvote 2

Our team just did a favor to a newer program, which is likely to end up in the NCHC. Did you see their celebration!!!    | can't be put in words | 
Berry can be a very nice gentlemen, ask the players. 
It took some excellent coaching by all the staff to pull this feat off.
The main flaw I saw is too many shots went right into the defending bodies verses at the goalie/net or not taken, must remember it was close - later a one goal game.
This team will come storming out of the gate in Omaha, you can book it. The Mavericks are going to get lassoed. 
This team won the last 3 NCHC 's and should be in the running again.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, AJS said:

This team right now is awful. 12 shots on goal. Embarrassing.

We actually had like 8 shots early on in the first too. Wheels fell off bad.

we have enough grit to hang in there with some good teams, but this squad feels like last years team. Patchwork quilt, fairly disjointed. Too many guys in out etc. i mean why is James sitting? Too many question marks…hopefully they pop out of this and at the very least have a respectable season.

46 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

We actually had like 8 shots early on in the first too. Wheels fell off bad.

we have enough grit to hang in there with some good teams, but this squad feels like last years team. Patchwork quilt, fairly disjointed. Too many guys in out etc. i mean why is James sitting? Too many question marks…hopefully they pop out of this and at the very least have a respectable season.

I thought the two lines with the most chemistry last year that meshed well together were the Ness Albrecht and Portz line and the Senden Jammer and Hain. I know we have injuries. I’d like to see an all freshman line too maybe. 

12 minutes ago, siouxnatty#8 said:

I thought the two lines with the most chemistry last year that meshed well together were the Ness Albrecht and Portz line and the Senden Jammer and Hain. I know we have injuries. I’d like to see an all freshman line too maybe. 

Blake McLaughlin and James may work together and round out with Gaber kunz and somebody.

10 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Albrecht needs to play until he proves he shouldn't be in the lineup. He brings too many intangibles to a team that lacks them right now.

Things are messy that’s for sure. Season isn’t over today but at the moment we are a fairly average team. Need our skilled upperclassman to step up a bit. We need to put our skilled guys up in the lineup.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, siouxkid12 said:

1. It’s her dads foundation.

2. Outside of building the arena, what have they done for the program? We haven’t advanced very far. We have only won one national title in the 20+ years that building(their foundation has “helped)

As much good as the “foundation” has done for UND it has also set other sports programs back with the main one being the logo change. Her refusal/stubbornness to get with the times and help the university move in the right direction is awful. 

Sounds like you just want to be mad at someone so you’re taking it out in an easy target. Why? Because she’s wealthy? Boring. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

Berry won a title with recruits from Hakstol and has steadily gone down hill from there, don’t remember many recuits Decommitting during Hak or Blais  eta. Time to try another head coach. 

Exactly. That’s one of my problems when people bring up Berrys championship. That championship along with any good success in the playoffs close to that we’re all done with Hak recruits. Berry can’t recruit and it’s finally showing. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SKondrashkin said:

Are you sure? I was just out with the dog  and a huge chunk of air landed right in front of us!!! Scared the crap out of me!

You have to understand, this happens with every loss, any ties (if they still do those) and any win that doesn’t meet “the criteria”.

The next goal or two will be met with “let’s go!” and other salutations of die hard fans.

We have talent but the players are underperforming as a group. 15 and 25 don’t work together not sure why but look at the last five games, you have a second round pick riding the pine his talent didn’t disappear need to find a combo for him. Seen it brought up numerous times this team looks gassed , tired etc that is on Berry. Maybe Berry is to nice and not making players work for this, we should never look so flat down by one goal in a big game. Berry and co need to figure this out or this season my be over by Xmas. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1