SiouxSports.com Forum

Week #4....The Devils and Vegas....

Wilbur

On 10/31/2022 at 4:05 PM, Godsmack said:

Is it fair to say that UND losing to ASU may be a big point in their favor towards membership into the NCHC? Gotta think three straight wins over NCHC teams (even wins over lowly CC) would count for something for ASU. 

On 11/1/2022 at 5:21 AM, farce poobah said:

(Trying to make lemonade from lemons here …)

this game was a fabulous sales pitch from the NCHC to Arizona State U hockey.   As far as hockey support goes, “the big time” means NCHC.  As far as championships go, that also means NCHC.  

quick math … adding ASU to NCHC would almost double total enrollment of the conference. 

12 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Can we finally start worrying about Omaha

On 10/30/2022 at 3:59 AM, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Our team just did a favor to a newer program, which is likely to end up in the NCHC. Did you see their celebration!!!    | can't be put in words | 
Berry can be a very nice gentlemen, ask the players. 
It took some excellent coaching by all the staff to pull this feat off.
The main flaw I saw is too many shots went right into the defending bodies verses at the goalie/net or not taken, must remember it was close - later a one goal game.
This team will come storming out of the gate in Omaha, you can book it. The Mavericks are going to get lassoed
This team won the last 3 NCHC 's and should be in the running again.

Is there ever a game that is rigged now a days?
If Arz. elections can be, surely an Arz. hockey game can.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/und-hockey-team-looks-to-turn-offensive-zone-time-into-better-scoring-chance

Here's a stat that will probably surprise anyone who watched Saturday night's U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame Game between UND and Arizona State in Las Vegas.

Possession time in the offensive zone — at even strength — was 24 minutes, 17 seconds for UND and 17:53 for Arizona State.

That's a whopping 58 percent to 42 percent advantage for the Fighting Hawks, who despite that disparity, only mustered 15 shots on goal in a 3-2 loss to the Sun Devils.

Arizona State blocked 22 shots and largely kept the Fighting Hawks to the outside as evidenced by the number of point-blank shots each team generated. Arizona State had 11 attempts and eight on net from the critical area. UND had five attempts and only one on net.

All those blocked shots.  That was frustrating to watch.

14 hours ago, siouxkid12 said:

This notion that we would have won had the 2020 season not gotten cancelled needs to stop. Were we the best team in the regular season for college hockey that year? Yes we were but that's all we can say is that. As you all know the NCAA tournament is never a sure thing and we could've easily lost in the first round.

I am not a huge Berry fan but who do you think recruited those kids that played on the 2016 team? Also, if we get rid of Berry, who do we get? Dane? Karl? Sorry, but those two don't seem like head coaching material to me.

Dude I put that we would likely win between 1-4 games, didn't say we'd for sure win the whole thing but ok I should have put 0-4. I was giving Berry the benefit of the doubt. Simma donna

I also said the coaches need to make some changes, NOT that we need to make a coaching change. That message was more of a propping up of Hak than anything. I was never on the Fire Hak train.

11 hours ago, Godsmack said:

If it makes anybody feel any better or offer a different perspective, I recall many DU fans calling for the head of Carle two seasons ago as well as early on into last season. I’m betting those folks weren’t too dissatisfied with him come last April. Things can turn around for this UND team, we’ve seen it before. 

This is a very bad trend, and these trends start becoming very difficult to change this far into a tenure.  The national championship was seven(!) seasons ago already and the team has won only one NCAA game since then, against a very poor AIC team.  This call for Berry's head isn't out of nowhere, it's a realization that a program of our stature is not meeting expectations, and hasn't for the majority of the seasons since the national championship run.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Big A HG said:

This is a very bad trend, and these trends start becoming very difficult to change this far into a tenure.  The national championship was seven(!) seasons ago already and the team has won only one NCAA game since then, against a very poor AIC team.  This call for Berry's head isn't out of nowhere, it's a realization that a program of our stature is not meeting expectations, and hasn't for the majority of the seasons since the national championship run.

What are our expectations? National titles? 

If so, I feel like there's more to the story. 

My expectation every season is we make the national tournament and have a team good enough to make a run at a green banner. This has basically been what I want out of every season that I've watched UND hockey. We've hit that mark nearly every season.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Big A HG said:

If the program wants to talk about "culture and tradition", then winning a national championship should be the expectation by our coaching staff and players every year. To do that, you need to come out the gate running on all cylinders. This notion that it takes time for players to adjust with new players is garbage. Other teams are in the same predicament, and they seem to adjust just fine. 

Yes, we may be 3-3-1 at the moment and its early but all 7 of our games have been against non-conference foes and they looked like crap against them. Something needs to change and it needs to change quick.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

What are our expectations? National titles? 

If so, I feel like there's more to the story. 

My expectation every season is we make the national tournament and have a team good enough to make a run at a green banner. This has basically been what I want out of every season that I've watched UND hockey. We've hit that mark nearly every season.

The same people screaming for Berry's head and longing for the days of Hakstol, are the one's that said we needed a change because Hakstol couldn't win it all.   People think that it is just a given that UND will always be a winning program and things can only get better.  I have a feeling if UND got rid of Berry or he left that people could be longing for the days of winning league championships and being in the mix every year.   Sometimes it is the case of "be careful what you wish for". 

2 hours ago, siouxkid12 said:

If the program wants to talk about "culture and tradition", then winning a national championship should be the expectation by our coaching staff and players every year. To do that, you need to come out the gate running on all cylinders. This notion that it takes time for players to adjust with new players is garbage. Other teams are in the same predicament, and they seem to adjust just fine. 

Yes, we may be 3-3-1 at the moment and its early but all 7 of our games have been against non-conference foes and they looked like crap against them. Something needs to change and it needs to change quick.

So, you wanted to "fIrE hAk" every season I take it, then? If you don't think it's a thing for a team to gel, I don't know what to tell you.

1 hour ago, tnt said:

The same people screaming for Berry's head and longing for the days of Hakstol, are the one's that said we needed a change because Hakstol couldn't win it all.   People think that it is just a given that UND will always be a winning program and things can only get better.  I have a feeling if UND got rid of Berry or he left that people could be longing for the days of winning league championships and being in the mix every year.   Sometimes it is the case of "be careful what you wish for". 

It's hilarious, because like I just noted in my last post, if people wanted to fire Hak like they want to fire Bubbs today, Hak would have never made it to Christmas. And we'd never would have had his second half teams.

What it is is a lack of understanding that it is absolutely, unequivocally, harder to win a national championship now than it was in say, 2000, when we won our 7th. We have a tradition that spans decades of dominating in a sport that was incredibly top heavy. That tide has turned and SO many more teams are competitive. Some say that is an excuse, but it's just flatly common sense -- if the talent pool improves, it's harder to win. UND has still consistently been a top program, making the tournament nearly every, single season. 

Hopefully people soon realize how frickin' hard it is to win a championship so everyone calms the eff down if we're not undefeated in October lol.

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

So, you wanted to "fIrE hAk" every season I take it, then? If you don't think it's a thing for a team to gel, I don't know what to tell you.

No, I was actually against it saying it then and I am against saying it now. Firing Berry leads us down a path of "who do you get" and at this moment there isn't anyone better, IMO. However, as a coaching staff I think there are things that they can do better. 
Also, coming out to start the season and having very inconsistent play from weekend to weekend is not good. The Quinnipiac series should've went our way, we got very lucky against the Gophers in that we split and then we get out played in Vegas. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

No, I was actually against it saying it then and I am against saying it now. Firing Berry leads us down a path of "who do you get" and at this moment there isn't anyone better, IMO. However, as a coaching staff I think there are things that they can do better. 
Also, coming out to start the season and having very inconsistent play from weekend to weekend is not good. The Quinnipiac series should've went our way, we got very lucky against the Gophers in that we split and then we get out played in Vegas. 

This is the concept of gelling. You seem to believe all teams should hit the ground running every season. I don't think that's the case. I absolutely believe the talent is in that room to be a very solid team, but we're 7 games in. We'll get there. 

2 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

This is the concept of gelling. You seem to believe all teams should hit the ground running every season. I don't think that's the case. I absolutely believe the talent is in that room to be a very solid team, but we're 7 games in. We'll get there. 

But those 5 crappy games can cost us a tournament bid.