SiouxSports.com Forum

Potato Bowl 2022

shep

28 minutes ago, Going48 said:

Congrats Tommy, absolutely a great game.  Off the MVC game write up.  You can win a lot of games with stats like this.  

"Tommy Schuster went 20-for-23 through the air for 275 yards and two touchdowns, while also rushing seven times for 30 yards in the win. Schuster's two points on a successful two-point conversion early in the fourth quarter ended up being the difference."

"UND took over with 6:51 remaining in the game and picked up four first downs to hold on for the victory. The Panthers had a shot to get the ball back late in the game, but Schuster connected with Zavalney for a 24-yard completion to bring up the final first down of the game."

Anyone taking the points and uni hated that call. 

4 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Could be …

Let’s not get ahead of ourselves. 

Would like to see this squad be able to win a single road game before claiming them the next great thing.

NAU game is definitely winnable but it is a road game at high elevation … NAU just beat Sam Houston State in Huntsville. UND will need to improve and not be stagnant. Have to prevent the big play better.

Your are right, Flagstaff first.

Take care of business there and then roll into Carbondale.

Let's see if they actually can be road warriors this year.

The last time they went to Flagstaff... wasn't pretty (was the last time they went 2017?)

8 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

The last time they went to Flagstaff... wasn't pretty (was the last time they went 2017?)

2018 Finale.  Was a total sh$t show with a possible playoff berth on the line.  Another big test this week.

So I am not a great football mind but am wondering about something on the defensive side of the ball.

Given the current situation, what can be done to fix it to avoid giving up those big plays?

Adjustment by the staff?

Is it something simple as the players just getting more reps and getting better?

Is it getting players healthy?

Or a combination of the three?

4 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

So I am not a great football mind but am wondering about something on the defensive side of the ball.

Given the current situation, what can be done to fix it to avoid giving up those big plays?

Adjustment by the staff?

Is it something simple as the players just getting more reps and getting better?

I wonder this also

throw in another - do we have the skill and are athletic enough in the positions that gave up the long plays

It was mostly Hembry getting burned right? Was Bishop hurt or something? Didn’t see him out there but he was out there against Nebraska. No idea if he would do any better but I do know we all thought it was a big pickup when we got him but he’s still young. The Buckner situation interests me. I saw him yesterday but thought he’d be more of a difference maker. 

1 hour ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Adjustment by the staff?

I think a lot of it has to do with losing both of our safeties (Canady and Galvin) and one corner (Holm) to graduation, plus potential starters this year Nelson and Robertson to the portal.  Hopefully, our current cast improves with experience.

Sundays are so much better after a win.  Definitely can enjoy this win....but sure hope we improve in the secondary.  Hard to say if it's just that they don't have enough experience.  Siegal played as a freshman, these guy have as much or more experience than he did and he played great right away.  I'm hoping some of our injured guys are able to get healed up.  Interesting that  they played Dennis yesterday, playing him that early in the season....wonder if they are planning on pulling his shirt? 

With a win yesterday I'll be in a much better mindset next Saturday as I head up to Flagstaff for the NAU game, I still have nightmares about the debacle up there last time. 

Crazy that SIU could be 0-3 when we go there, they are probably going to be pretty pissed off and fired up for that home game.  Hope we can get up early on them and cast doubt in their minds. 

2 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Adjustment by the staff?

When we rush/blitz with 6 players our defensive backfield needs to cover one on one effectively which didn't happen all the time yesterday 

On 9/9/2022 at 6:09 PM, SIOUXFAN97 said:

this cunningham guy for louisville can't throw that well......but.....he can run and is making gus's gut turn!!!

over under for tommy's rushing yards tomorrow?

This didn't age well. Tommy showed us he has some stones the size of bowling balls.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, SiouxFan100 said:

We have some that don’t want to hear any excuses if we lose. Don’t bring up any of this moral victory junk. Don’t talk about the glass half full. Bottom line.

does anyone see anything ironic when we win?

When we win- The team we beat had zero talent and the only reason they made plays was because of how bad of a team we have. 

7 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said: