SiouxSports.com Forum

Potato Bowl 2022

shep

Looking back to fall camp, this was the game everyone said would determine our season projectors. Does the team have the ability to mentally move on from the Nebraska game and prepare for Saturday, or will some spend this week dwelling on the Nebrask game?What type of message will UND send this week?

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, 108498 said:

Looking back to fall camp, this was the game everyone said would determine our season projectors. Does the team have the ability to mentally move on from the Nebraska game and prepare for Saturday, or will some spend this week dwelling on the Nebrask game?What type of message will UND send this week?

This is the game . Must win.  Alerus should be rocking.

• Upvote 3

Big game for UND vs UNI 

2 simple things for me:

1) always will emphasize turnovers and penalties. Und won turnover battle at Nebraska but lost in terms of penalties. UND needs to be disciplined in home opener vs UNI.

2) biggest thing I will be looking for will be how UND performs in the 4th quarter. As I’ve said, going back to all of 2021 including @ Utah State and vs NDSU, and even now with the one game in 2022 (at Nebraska), UND has not been good in the 4th quarter. I want to see UND be the better team in the 4th quarter on Saturday and start finishing games to show improvement relative to 2021. 

• Upvote 4

42 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

I would argue that a 4.3 40 guy that has those skills is a bigger threat than a 4.6 guy but most of the big pass plays are as much a coverage error or play by the offense that gets the advantage over the defensive set.

absolutely, no arguing here. You always want a receiver that can catch - number one skill - but after that the more speed/explosiveness the better. UND has guys that can catch but they are all 4.6 guys and no 4.3 guys. There is room for improvement in recruiting in this area, but it’s a challenge because all the FBS teams are attracting the 4.3 guys.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Kab said:

Looks like a lot of tickets left

hope they can do a promotion this week

need a large crowd with a lot of noise

The success of the team will speak for itself. Need to keep fans coming back with good performances. Also, can’t take pressure off of UND athletic department and the Alerus Center - they can continue to improve the experience as well independent of the football team’s performance. I mean, just look at Memorial Stadium in Lincoln (extreme example but stay with me); you can have several consecutive losing seasons and still have an incredible home-field atmosphere. 

UNI ranked #19 this week.

FCS NATION Top 25 Week 1
1. NDSU
2. MT
3. SDSU
4. Mo St
5. Sac St
6. ETSU
7. MT St
8. Chatt
9. Delaware
10. Jackson St
11. UIW
12. Nova
13. EWU
14. UTM
15. SELA
16. Mercer
17. SIU
18. Richmond
19. UNI
20. Weber
21. Samford
22. Kennesaw
23. W&M
24. SC St
25. Campbell

46 minutes ago, forksandspoons said:

Can probably toss out the Air Force film. UNI is a much better team than what they showed this weekend and will be hungry. 

There were some issues for Northern Iowa that can’t be ignored. Hungry or not, UNI rush defense looked bad and UND needs to win or overall outlook for 2022 UND season will be bleak. 

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, SuhakiYeahYeah said:

With how well Smith and Hoosman did, and seeing how many rushing yards Air Force got, I wanna see UND run it down their throats.

Still wondering where Skokna was, didn’t see him out there 

12 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

There were some issues for Northern Iowa that can’t be ignored. Hungry or not, UNI rush defense looked bad and UND needs to win or overall outlook for 2022 UND season will be bleak. 

Poor tackling, bad persuade angles, no back side help spells disaster for a D against an option team.  The trouble for UNI in preparing for them their scout team doesn't know how to run the option.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Bison Dan said:

Poor tackling, bad persuade angles, no back side help spells disaster for a D against an option team.  The trouble for UNI in preparing for them their scout team doesn't know how to run the option.

Agree.  Lots of long runs where you wonder where all of uni defenders were?   Certainly were confused and not where the ball was 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, iramurphy said:

I believe the players and coaches will be encouraged by their ability to compete against Nebraska and their time in the film room should confirm that cleaning up penalties, missed assignments, and other correctable errors they can be a very good FB team. I would like to see our QB get through his reads quicker and get the ball to his receivers coming off of their breaks and as they enter the seam of the zones. As our QB’s mature, they need to be able to read defenses at LOS so they know at the snap which reads are likely to be there. Receivers need to continue to find the seams when the ball isn’t there right away, and accelerate away from the defenders to maintain the initial cushion. The initial reads and that timing for the QB and achieving and maintaining those cushions are maybe the toughest skills to perfect in the passing game. It starts with Oline protection.  We talk a lot about burners but our receivers are athletic enough to get open. Against dbacks as skilled as Nebraska, if the ball isn’t there in the short time the receiver breaks open those guys close fast and then we either have to go to the next read or a safety valve for 3-4 yds. Ron Erhard told me years ago he wasn’t worried as much about yards after catch. He wanted guys who would catch the ball and hang on to it. I would argue that a 4.3 40 guy that has those skills is a bigger threat than a 4.6 guy but most of the big pass plays are as much a coverage error or play by the offense that gets the advantage over the defensive set. If we can get through our reads fast enough and get the ball to receivers quicker I think we will see a more potent attack. We need to average more than 3-4 yds per completion to be successful this year. 

That’s all well and good but I wonder what @gundy1124 thinks about facing a legit burner and how it wreaks havoc on a defensive backfield.