SiouxSports.com Forum

2022-23 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

1 hour ago, UND1981 said:

Denver was low in the standings last year when we swept them at the Ralph.  How did the season turn out for them?

So tired of cherry-picking one team and thinking that North Dakota is gonna turn this around come March.  This team has some big-time problems in all facets of the game.  

• Upvote 4

59 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

So tired of cherry-picking one team and thinking that North Dakota is gonna turn this around come March.  This team has some big-time problems in all facets of the game.  

Agreed.
And last year's games between UND/DU at the REA were a lot closer than this past weekends. 
Friday night 3-1 UND win with an ENG.  SOG were 23 each.
Sat night 4-2 UND win with an ENG.  SOG were 28-22 UND.

This year's UND team has more areas to clean up than DU did last year at this point in the season.

Team is currently 4-5-2.

On December 11th, if we are not 10-7-2 or better we switch into trying to secure home ice and then win the NCHC tournament to get into the national tournament mode.

A home sweep, a home and home Bemidji sweep, and a split at St. Cloud and Kalamazoo.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, petey23 said:

Team is currently 4-5-2.

On December 11th, if we are not 10-7-2 or better we switch into trying to secure home ice and then win the NCHC tournament to get into the national tournament mode.

A home sweep, a home and home Bemidji sweep, and a split at St. Cloud and Kalamazoo.

Pairwise... this is the bare minimum.

It's going to be really troublesome to take a loss or even tie in the next two weeks.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, petey23 said:

Team is currently 4-5-2.

Before the season, I would have thought this was definitely realistic for this stretch.
Now, I'm not sure we'll be able to get there.

I'm an eternal optimist for this team, but what I saw on Saturday was disconcerting. It's happened a lot this season, but was SO bad on Saturday... folding to pressure in our defensive zone. I can't even count how many times we missed the first pass or the chip out in transition to get out of the zone. It was horrendous. Turnover after turn over after turnover. Teams are recognizing (ie. Minnesota, ASU, Quinny on Saturday) that we aren't being poised enough to make that first pass with patience or chip it up the boards. 

It's incredibly fixable. It feels like a lack of trust and continuity to know where each other's outlet is. We saw it for glimpses against DU both nights -- when we are able to get out and get into the offensive zone, we have the puck talent to create. 

Still have plenty of hope because I do believe in the players in the room. Plenty of contributors who have done well in the past and plenty of new faces who know how to play the game. The pieces are there. Gotta figure it out and do it quick.

We need a get right series against Miami. Two big ones coming.

• Upvote 4

A couple of thoughts about the team. They were so bad Saturday that I quit watching when DU scored to make it 5-2. It was painfully obvious that there was no way UND would win that game. It looked like a bunch of 12 year-olds playing. Is DU that good or UND that bad or somewhere in the middle? 

So I looked at strength of schedule today thinking that we've played three teams in the top five in the current poll. Surely we are number one in SOS. Ah, no. 17. Makes no sense.

A home series against Miami is coming at a good time. Sweep and get some swagger back!

19 minutes ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

They were so bad Saturday that I quit watching when DU scored to make it 5-2. It was painfully obvious that there was no way UND would win that game.

You made it that far? 

2-1 followed by seven turnovers by UND in one zone entry by DU and the remote car starter was triggered.

• Upvote 2

This is one of the worst teams I’ve seen since I started really following this hockey team in the early eighties, this reminds me of a Gino’s last years. This will take years to flip this around. Next year he will have to dip into the portal again because a lot of he recruits aren’t panning out and imho players don’t like his style of play, ND where good offensive players come to get worse. 

• Like 1

On 11/13/2022 at 6:56 PM, MafiaMan said:

I said this early in after some non conference losses. This team is god awful right now and those non conference losses will hurt us (not that it matters anymore after losing to Miami). 

Berry gave up on Shaw after 4 years because we weren’t playing right, maybe it’s time to give up on Berry because he isn’t developing players.

Has the game passed our age 57+ coaches by? (I’m thinking of two sports right now.) 

On NHL Radio yesterday Ken Daneyko said 1/3 of players in his day couldn’t play in the league today and 1/3 of today couldn’t play then. Why? The game is different. It’s gone from a strength and power game to a speed and skill game. 

What era game are we coaching for?

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Has the game passed our age 57+ coaches by? (I’m thinking of two sports right now.) 

On NHL Radio yesterday Ken Daneyko said 1/3 of players in his day couldn’t play in the league today and 1/3 of today couldn’t play then. Why? The game is different. It’s gone from a strength and power game to a speed and skill game. 

I'm not sure where to find the information, but I think I've seen that UND is one of the smaller teams in the country now, so it's not that the roster is big and lumbering.  

In the 00s, Hakstol seemingly built teams to win seven-game series, and I have no doubt he would have had a run of titles if the system was built that way.  Instead UND just wore BC out so Michigan State could beat them in the next game. 

But the staff adjusted, especially on the back end, and you just don't see the three Matt's back there anymore.  The only big defenseman on the team is Kleven, and he can skate. 

I would also suggest that Calder was the odd man out last summer because he was the slowest skater up front, to my eyes anyway.  Now the slowest, again, to me, is Kunz, and that's complicated because he was a local phenom.  

To summarize, I don't feel the coaches are stuck in the past.  With perhaps one exception, and that's in their affection for small goalies.  I understand where that comes from, but please give me another Scheel.  They just take up more space. 

23 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I have said this in the past that Berrys system makes offensive players seem mediocre , maybe we need a younger coach who can bring in a new system. 

21 hours ago, siouxkid12 said:

I said this early in after some non conference losses. This team is god awful right now and those non conference losses will hurt us (not that it matters anymore after losing to Miami). 

Berry gave up on Shaw after 4 years because we weren’t playing right, maybe it’s time to give up on Berry because he isn’t developing players.

Shaw was an anchor... and not a good anchor like a symbol of stability... like a dragging everything down with it anchor.