SiouxSports.com Forum

2022-23 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

On 11/20/2022 at 5:18 AM, SIOUXELEVENS said:

This is one of the worst teams I’ve seen since I started really following this hockey team in the early eighties, this reminds me of a Gino’s last years. This will take years to flip this around. Next year he will have to dip into the portal again because a lot of he recruits aren’t panning out and imho players don’t like his style of play, ND where good offensive players come to get worse. 

I remember Hak having a really iffy team when I was in college. I believe they were like .500. Blais had an iffy team too. 

if this is Berry’s iffy team so be it. It’s still November though. As I’ve always said, the only thing that worries me is the recruiting pipeline.

6 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

I remember Hak having a really iffy team when I was in college. I believe they were like .500. Blais had an iffy team too. 

if this is Berry’s iffy team so be it. It’s still November though. As I’ve always said, the only thing that worries me is the recruiting pipeline.

The only losing season Blais had was the first season in the new REA (2001-2002).

1 minute ago, scpa0305 said:

What about Hak…not necessarily a losing season but a bad season?

That Blais season was the year after a natty right?

Hak teams never missed the NCAA tournament so how “bad” could one of his teams have been? There were a couple 1st round NCAA exits, but one of those teams won the WCHA tournament and another won the WCHA regular season. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

Hak teams never missed the NCAA tournament so how “bad” could one of his teams have been? There were a couple 1st round NCAA exits, but one of those teams won the WCHA tournament and another won the WCHA regular season. 

Didn't we have one season where we had to have one particular team lose so we could get in? I think it was 2014.

Just now, fightingsioux4life said:

Didn't we have one season where we had to have one particular team lose so we could get in? I think it was 2014.

… yes, but we also finished 2nd in the NCHC that year and went to the Frozen Four. NCHC was mediocre in non-conference play that first year of the league. SCSU and UND were the only at large bids and DU got the auto bid but they weren’t good that year. 

11 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

Ok lots of people are saying the same thing about our D, so why doesn’t Berry change something , line combos , who is coaching the D etc. nope everything is fine no need to panic and change things we still have three teams below us in save %  and we aren’t in last place in the league yet. 

That's an interesting question because the answer is everyone's next savior for the program Karl. It is quite interesting that the forward combos have been juggled constantly yet our D play has been horrendous and not much change at all there or at least with the top pair. 

6 hours ago, tnt said:

So we are saying this less than half way through the year, and after winning the toughest league in college hockey for the last 3 years?   Winning the toughest league means you are winning more games against the toughest competition around.  Let's wait and see how this plays out because frankly we see this same conversation every year, under Hakstol and Berry. 

Conference Championships are nice but not our ultimate goal.  Duluth and Denver have found a way to get it done twice each since we won a Natty.  We on the other hand have won 1 tournament game.  Remember when we used to mock the Gophers for winning the Big 10 and then flaming out in the tournament.  Well, that's us now.  As for this year - wow - to watch a game is to be frustrated.  It's not just the record it's how we are playing.  Can't hold a lead in the third to save our butts.  Add in our recruiting losses and here we are.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, cowboys5xsbs said:

When is the last time we weren't ranked.  I genuinely can not remember.  Embarrassing how far we fell. 

I was gonna ask the same thing.  I'm sure Schloss will dig into that and let us know.

Hopefully the team is embarrassed about that as well...started the season ranked pretty high and now have fallen out of the rankings entirely.
Time to right the ship.

Tough thing about the Miami loss, missing Moore and OM hurt. I know more. Has made some decent miscues (especially that one against DU) but overall he’s a good player that we desperately need in the lineup every night. We don’t have the “skill depth” to have these guys out of the lineup. We’re good enough to hang with anyone…but we’re missing that confidence that allows you to beat the teams you have to and should beat.

The next few weeks will be interesting.

43 minutes ago, ToDaClub said:

FTR 2013-2014 team was 4-6-2 at Thanksgiving (not counting exhibition games). Ended up losing in the frozen four.  There's time to turn this around.  

images.jpg

Actually were 4-7-2 before the General had his talk, then they went on a 10 game unbeaten streak.   Would argue goaltending is probably too inconsistent to have that type of run, but they just need to start stringing complete weekends together and see where they sit after Christmas.  They definitely can't afford to wait to do that. 

• Upvote 2