SiouxSports.com Forum

Albany Regional - UND/MSUM/ND/Harvard

brianvf

13 minutes ago, siouxweet said:

Prior to that UMD New Years weekend.  Can't say they are battle tested but with their goalie you don't really need to be.

9-2 against the tourney field isn't dog meat. That's only 2 games less than Denver and 3 less than UMass. If MSU isn't battle tested, neither is Denver or UMass

5 hours ago, burd said:

I don't know The Lord Almighty very well, but I'm a little nervous that ND might have the advantage on matters of chance, like bounces, deflections, etc.   

Nope! That's "Touchdown Jesus", not goal jesus.

14 hours ago, jk said:

Given that WMU is the heaviest team in college hockey, it was a particularly bad game to be without UND's two biggest defensemen. 

Having Kleven back is huge for clearing out Notre Dame's net front presence.  The thing about our D and I disagree with Starman about this on his assesment of Wester Michigan and Denver's D being the most mobile D corps. When our D is going and up in the play I think we are really hard to slow down.  It's crazy to see our D so many times come in as F1 a lot of times.  I wish Sanderson wasn't hurt as he is the best of the best as far as being offensive but it is what it is and this group has adapted well to him being out.  Moore and Bast have grown their games so much also made our D corps even better.  Just hope they do shore up in front of our net and I think the offense from our D will be there.

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, bale31 said:

9-2 against the tourney field isn't dog meat. That's only 2 games less than Denver and 3 less than UMass. If MSU isn't battle tested, neither is Denver or UMass

I was referring to the last several months as they haven't played anyone outside of Tech at the end of February. 

In my opinion it will be vital that North Dakota scores first.  Obviously, most teams have a much better record when they score the first goal, but chasing the game against a Jeff Jackson coached team is a surefire way to end your season.

1 hour ago, siouxweet said:

I was referring to the last several months as they haven't played anyone outside of Tech at the end of February. 

Well in those past few months you thought UND would only win 4 games the rest of the way and be sitting watching the tournament, and now you are lessening what a top seed has done for the whole year?

23 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

Was looking for alternatives to ESPNU to watch the games; turns out ESPN3 (streaming) is carrying the games as well.  So hopefully won’t have to worry about some stupid lacrosse game going into triple OT.:wink:

I think that is the good thing about ESPN3 is they can show the games right away as they can show as many games at one time on ESPN3 since it is streaming.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, farce poobah said:

They've had hockey for say 50 years, so an Intervention is overdue.    My thinking is that BC got all of Notre Dame's luck ... 01, 06, 07, 08, etc etc

BC is Catholic in name only. Anyone who has been to ND's campus can feel it's real. The Irish are due for a Natty. Would be fun to see them face off with Michigan in the Natty, I think they are living rent free in the Wolverines' heads. 

Beating UND would be a nice confidence boost. I think whoever wins that game makes the last four. 

On 3/21/2022 at 11:46 PM, stoneySIOUX said:

I was told that the surgery was done right away to give Sandy any chance at all to play at the Frozen Four. Still skating to keep his wind, just in case. With that said, it's all but certain he's done.

Can we get him a cast/ club on his hand like that dude (Gene Upshaw) from the old Oakland Raiders played with?  Asking for a LOT of friends...

4 hours ago, tnt said:

Well in those past few months you thought UND would only win 4 games the rest of the way and be sitting watching the tournament, and now you are lessening what a top seed has done for the whole year?

In the bracket challenge I have them winning the region and going to Boston.  My point was their SOS down the last few months has not been the greatest compared to others.  Doesn't mean I don't think they are a very good team.

29 minutes ago, 808287 said:

Can we get him a cast/ club on his hand like that dude (Gene Upshaw) from the old Oakland Raiders played with?  Asking for a LOT of friends...

Similar to "putting on the foil".  Anything to get him on the ice this season still.  :) 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Blackheart said:

Was looking for alternatives to ESPNU to watch the games; turns out ESPN3 (streaming) is carrying the games as well.  So hopefully won’t have to worry about some stupid lacrosse game going into triple OT.:wink:

ESPN updated their schedule and removed the games from ESPN3 this afternoon.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/und-once-again-ready-to-play-without-key-players-as-ncaa-tournament-arrives?fbclid=IwAR2bNCBEz8GMwrNMaZ5r-XqcqOc5GL_vS9gTGk4ok0QlmFfazBYzbUMs3Ak

As expected, Sanderson, Hain, and Montgomery all out for the regional games.

Notre Dame has the nation's second-best penalty kill at 90.4 percent, and the Fighting Irish often look to break the other way. They've scored seven shorthanded goals this season — also second nationally.

This doesn't make me optimistic.

26 minutes ago, dden3 said:

Does this mean that Kunz and Albrecht are back?  Hope so. 

They at the very least were out practicing today, so hopefully!
Article said that Sanderson and Hain watched practice from the stands and Montgomery didn't even travel with the team to help with his recovery.  So he's back in GF still.  Wonder what's going on with him?

11 hours ago, tnt said:

Whatever the pairwise ranks you is pretty darn close to correct with all the criteria they use.  I see the reason for it not playing out closer to where teams end up as far as how the season ends after the NCAA tourney is the one and done format.  If the NCAA tourney was played as 5 or 7 game series or even 3 game series for that matter the better teams would likely win more titles.  One and done scenario makes for not always the best team winning.  

16 minutes ago, siouxnatty#8 said:

Whatever the pairwise ranks you is pretty darn close to correct with all the criteria they use.  I see the reason for it not playing out closer to where teams end up as far as how the season ends after the NCAA tourney is the one and done format.  If the NCAA tourney was played as 5 or 7 game series or even 3 game series for that matter the better teams would likely win more titles.  One and done scenario makes for not always the best team winning.  

#brendanmorrison ;)

• Upvote 1

I’m going with UND to beat ND 2-1 in ot. Don’t see UND scoring many goals so they will have to hold ND to one goal max.   One stat that jumps out is UND’s penalty kill which is only 78.7%.  We probably lose this game if keep taking 5 minute majors.  We also must score first, our record when trailing after one is not very good (1-8-1) while ND is 14-0 when leading after one.