SiouxSports.com Forum

Albany Regional - UND/MSUM/ND/Harvard

brianvf

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

Okay line wise.  Love Senden but he's not top 6.  Here's how I would run things Thursday:

Gaber-Ford-Judd

Matteo-Schmaltz-Calder

Senden-Jammer-Portz

Kunz-Ness-Albrecht

Really late in the ball game to run different lines but that's been every game for this team.  

Kunz on the heavy line?  I think there's more chemistry with Portz, Albrecht and ness.  Like Kunz better with Jammer and Senden.  Our bottom 2 lines can match up well with other teams top line and gives us more favorable matchups if we don't have last change which after ND game we prob won't have.

2 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Okay line wise.  Love Senden but he's not top 6.  Here's how I would run things Thursday:

Gaber-Ford-Judd

Matteo-Schmaltz-Calder

Senden-Jammer-Portz

Kunz-Ness-Albrecht

Really late in the ball game to run different lines but that's been every game for this team.  

Nailed it...Judd and Calder need to show up. Both have the ability to score the puck. Gonna need it.

Moore's play will be huge. He has made great strides. Just needs to commit defensively and pick his spots to jump in offensively.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, siouxnatty#8 said:

Kunz on the heavy line?  I think there's more chemistry with Portz, Albrecht and ness.  Like Kunz better with Jammer and Senden.  Our bottom 2 lines can match up well with other teams top line and gives us more favorable matchups if we don't have last change which after ND game we prob won't have.

I see what you're saying but IMHO you can't call Ness and Albrecht a heavy line.  Id say Jammer and Sendo more a fit with a guy like Portz who has made strides.  Wouldn't be surprised to see Kunz with them though. 

4 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Nailed it...Judd and Calder need to show up. Both have the ability to score the puck. Gonna need it.

Moore's play will be huge. He has made great strides. Just needs to commit defensively and pick his spots to jump in offensively.

Coop has grown so much.  A good growth year for him. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

I see what you're saying but IMHO you can't call Ness and Albrecht a heavy line.  Id say Jammer and Sendo more a fit with a guy like Portz who has made strides.  Wouldn't be surprised to see Kunz with them though. 

When Albrecht, Portz and Ness were playing together they put together a nasty forecheck and they were scoring goals.  The Senden line plays a similar style but this time of year chemistry to me wins out over experimenting with line combinations.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Correlation does not equal causation

If I had identical twins, I'd name them correlation and causation, so I could say they are equal.  

For hockey, I leave the fourth line together.  They're not heavy, but they are pests, always causing havoc. Good momentum changers. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Kunz to me plays a style more like Hain.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, bcblues said:

Tickets purchased (S119 R1), flights booked and hotel reservations at the Renaissance. Let's "get the green together"!

Lived in Schenectady, which is essentially a suburb of Albany, until I was six. Wish I could go. Cheer loud, man!

2 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Per Schloss's Twitter he's confident Jake will not play in Albany.  If that's the case does UND even need him when they get to the F4? He would have missed 17 game to that point.

Need? Na. Want? Absolutely. Kid looked dominant against CC and if some how he's better and we're still playing, he's absolutely going to be in the lineup and would be nuts to think he shouldn't be. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Coming into today, I wanted to avoid four teams for as long as possible -- DU, Western, Minnesota, and UMD. I'm happy with our draw. With that said, Notre Dame isn't a fantastic draw for us. Very, very good defensively. They pressure the puck like crazy and are a fast, hard team. I've seen them play against Michigan (went 4-0 against the PWR No. 1) and they forecheck and back check like demons. Not a dominant offensive team, but incredibly sound. I would have preferred to play UMass, but c'est la vie.

UND is gonna need to play the with the pace they carried against Western in the third period on Friday, which is the same pace we carried against them in our sweep of them a few weeks back and when we swept Duluth. If we get that game, I think we move on. 

Mankato is very good, but not as good as they were last season, IMO. Harvard's puck moving D is going to give them a run. 

I like our chances. If we play our game, speed, short passing, effort... I think we have a great chance to head to Boston. 

I’ve watched Notre Dame play several times this season. They are strong forecheckers and score a lot on forced turnovers. Strong defensively, giving up barely over 2 goals per game. Not a strong offense as you said, and one of the weakest power plays in the Big 10. The team that scores two will likely win this game. Three for sure. I like our chances too. 

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, ND_Texan said:

I’ve watched Notre Dame play several times this season. They are strong forecheckers and score a lot on forced turnovers. Strong defensively, giving up barely over 2 goals per game. Not a strong offense as you said, and one of the weakest power plays in the Big 10. The team that scores two will likely win this game. Three for sure. I like our chances too. 

I take it they like to clog up the neutral zone also.  Short crisp passes out of our zone with the D jumping into the play will neutralize some of this.  I also like our chances to win this game if we play disciplined.

20 minutes ago, ND_Texan said:

Very good summary.  Like a Duluth defensively.  Just not a lot of space there to operate against.

2 hours ago, tnt said:

Minnesota found out last year what a shutdown team can do to the so-called intimidating teams.  If I’m not mistaken, Notre Dame swept the intimidating Michigan team when they were trying to win a league championship for the first time in a while.  In the NCAA tourney, many times the intimidating teams are the ones that can play shutdown defense, which is why Duluth is a contender again.

Mankato isn't battle tested, they are my preference of #1 seeds. Obviously they need to be taken seriously, but it's a very winnable bracket. Having Peacock I've watched some Notre Dame games, I think we will match up well against them.

4 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Mankato isn't battle tested, they are my preference of #1 seeds. Obviously they need to be taken seriously, but it's a very winnable bracket. Having Peacock I've watched some Notre Dame games, I think we will match up well against them.

Mankato will be a tough out for sure (they have beaten some strong teams this year) but definitely the least battle tested of the four #1 seeds.  They've scored the most goals in the NCAA this year, but they've also been able to play St Thomas six times, scoring almost 40 of their 167 goals against that one team alone.

Have to get past Notre Dame first.  Strong defensive teams have shown to give UND troubles before (UMD, BSU, etc), so hopefully they can score early and force the Golden Domers to open up a bit.

5 minutes ago, SiouxFanatic said:

I don’t get ESPNU at work, so I plan to start streaming it to YT in the morning before I leave so I can watch the games that are on before UND’s. I will post link in this thread on Thursday as I’m sure many here are in same boat and want to be able to watch some hockey on Thursday prior to the UND game. I cannot be blamed for any lack of productivity. :D 

Just wanted to give advance notice as I typically don’t give notice at all. :lol:

Awesome, thank you so much, as always!
I actually have both Thursday and Saturday off this week, so that worked out well.  :D 

8 hours ago, brianvf said:

Awesome, thank you so much, as always!
I actually have both Thursday and Saturday off this week, so that worked out well.  :D 

You are listed "day to day" so a lot could change until Thursday.

• Upvote 1

Think this goes without saying, but against a team like Notre Dame and their defense abilities, scoring first needs to happen. I think its a lot more important for UND to score first then Notre Dame. Think they have the ability to win a game 1-0 or 2-1, especially if the 1-0 carries into late second period. Get the lead and make them open up a little bit. 

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, bcblues said:

Tickets purchased (S119 R1), flights booked and hotel reservations at the Renaissance. Let's "get the green together"!

OK, the row 1 tickets were a scam. :( Wife purchased them on ticketcenter.com and she was informed that the seller did not verify the tickets. So today I went on ticketmaster and purchased tickets in S123. Corner. Shouldn't be too bad.

Now to get the refund from ticketcenter. GRRR.