SiouxSports.com Forum

Cornell @ UND -- Saturday Gameday

stoneySIOUX

2 hours ago, brianvf said:

Berry has had three excellent teams since he took over as HC. 

One was the national champ year.
One was easily the best team in the nation before the entire postseason was wiped out by COVID.
One was easily the best team in the nation before the postseason was "influenced by COVID" (opponents getting byes due to cancelled games) and lost in a multiple OT heartbreaker to a rival.

This year we knew would be a difficult year after all the players came back for last years title run and then left or signed pro contracts.
Berry has built (or helped build) those three amazing teams...he can do it again, but it needs to start now with nailing down some more high-caliber recruits.

We stink right now. Hate to say it but it’s true. I’ve defended this team but they have to put a better product on the ice. 

3 minutes ago, siouxnatty#8 said:

We stink right now. Hate to say it but it’s true. I’ve defended this team but they have to put a better product on the ice. 

If we keep going like this we will drop out of the top 16 for pair wise and have to win the league tourney to get into the national tournament 

5 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Wasn't Ford one of the top goal scorers in the nation last year?

Judd.......don't even know what to say.  Honestly thought he was gonna have a monster season. He's just way too talented to have gone 12 games now without a point.

Maybe it’s the offensive scheme they run , hard off the glass in the d zone and dump and chase in the O zone , seems like Berry likes to get the d rushing buts wants to hold forwards back. 

5 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Wasn't Ford one of the top goal scorers in the nation last year?

Judd.......don't even know what to say.  Honestly thought he was gonna have a monster season. He's just way too talented to have gone 12 games now without a point.

james massen 2.0?

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

You guys pissed the guys were college kids last night?

No not upset about them out having fun, but I hope come Monday they realize there is a time for fun and there is a time for hard work.  I think the thing i saw that upset me most at least Saturday (worked and didn't see Friday game) was the lack of our D picking up the forwards out front of our net and letting them jump on rebounds they should have boxed out on.  Very sloppy D coverage in front of our net.

11 minutes ago, siouxnatty#8 said:

No not upset about them out having fun, but I hope come Monday they realize there is a time for fun and there is a time for hard work.  I think the thing i saw that upset me most at least Saturday (worked and didn't see Friday game) was the lack of our D picking up the forwards out front of our net and letting them jump on rebounds they should have boxed out on.  Very sloppy D coverage in front of our net.

Soft in front of the net is hard to watch.  Not Sioux hockey.  I have been disappointed in our D and of course our Goalie play.

13 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

I got smacked the other day, but I once again didn't watch.  I didn't miss a game for about 13 years...this year, I've watched maybe 5....that's where the rubber hits the road.  Its not about being a cheerleader, its about calling what you see, and this team isn't a fun product on the ice.  Sure Sanderson is dynamic, and Gaber has some talent...but...

As I told my friends the other day.  I guess this is Fighting Hawks hockey, because it sure isn't Sioux hockey.

Flame away haters, but so be it.

I can remember when I was a kid and Scott Swigman (excuse spelling maybe) did color as Tim Hennessy called the games and I just loved to listen to the games and it has been the same forever for me but I agree that something is missing with this team.  Maybe it is the manner in which they lose games. There was almost zero effort against NTDP for an example.  I have always thought of the Sioux as a bring your lunch bucket, hard working right to the end team.  Other teams might have beat the Sioux but nobody ever outworked or out hustled us.  I don't get that feel with this team.  The Senden line yes plays Sioux hockey I feel but they cannot carry the team.

5 hours ago, siouxnatty#8 said:

5 hours ago, siouxnatty#8 said:

If we keep going like this we will drop out of the top 16 for pair wise and have to win the league tourney to get into the national tournament 

We are not the team we were the last few years that's for sure. Makes me wish we had kept some players under the COVID rules but I get why we didn't. 

That being said, I'm not too worried about missing the tournament just yet. We are still #11 in the Pairwise and Cornell is #14 now so this hurts but it won't tank us. We should still make the tournament but we definitely need to improve our defense and goaltending if we want actually do anything beyond making the tournament. 

15 minutes ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

We are not the team we were the last few years that's for sure. Makes me wish we had kept some players under the COVID rules but I get why we didn't. 

That being said, I'm not too worried about missing the tournament just yet. We are still #11 in the Pairwise and Cornell is #14 now so this hurts but it won't tank us. We should still make the tournament but we definitely need to improve our defense and goaltending if we want actually do anything beyond making the tournament. 

Our effort and compete levels need an overhaul in order to right the ship imo.  This is a shell of the team that swept Denver.  We played so hard and fast we broke Denver's will.  I want that team UND hockey team back.  It's in there somewhere I hope it comes back out.

2 hours ago, yzerman19 said:

Sidenote, how am I ranked a "newbie" after 18 years and almost 6000 posts :D

Haha, gotta step up your game.  :D

2 hours ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

Makes me wish we had kept some players under the COVID rules but I get why we didn't.

Yeah it seems like a lot of the top teams retained multiple players for their 5th year.
How nice would it have been to keep Adams for another year?  Late bloomer that really played well his last two years.  He would have been fun to watch with Gaber.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, yzerman19 said:

Sidenote, how am I ranked a "newbie" after 18 years and almost 6000 posts :D

Side note and even more off topic.
You are onto what I would call an attitude on here.

There is something not quite right about SS, not only the SS team, but many posters fall in line.
One can start with there has still not been a name change of this fan board, yet claim to be a supporter of UND sports.

This hockey team is struggling, but our team has the potential - many big games left.
SU Trolls are treated better than Fighting Hawk fans.
We've lost a great poster this fall in the last round of the annual Booth and the SU troll is given an Eveready battery when returns.
Sioux fans are allowed to shoot arrows at anything Hawk.
T lovers are allowed to let their posts slide, while others get warning points.
Support is still needed as the ADept is having big challenges in winning games vs blow it off as a mediocre attitude (can't get better with that).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, yzerman19 said:

I got smacked the other day, but I once again didn't watch.  I didn't miss a game for about 13 years...this year, I've watched maybe 5....that's where the rubber hits the road.  Its not about being a cheerleader, its about calling what you see, and this team isn't a fun product on the ice.  Sure Sanderson is dynamic, and Gaber has some talent...but...

As I told my friends the other day.  I guess this is Fighting Hawks hockey, because it sure isn't Sioux hockey.

Flame away haters, but so be it.

This is spot on. Everyone saying something just not right with the team. It just isn’t Sioux Hockey, I’m sorry. This is hawks hockey and it isn’t even close to being a similar products. Boys gotta put out a better effort. I would love to hear Berrys locker room talks because honestly doesn’t seem like he gets the boys very fired up.