SiouxSports.com Forum

Cornell @ UND -- Saturday Gameday

stoneySIOUX

I remember sometimes at the Old Ralph, you FELT the next goal coming instead of just hoping for it.   (Especially during 1987)  

Some of the lack of audience participation is due to cell phones, when the fan beside you looks up and asks "what period is this" is ridiculous.  Using the phones for hockey questions and trivia on the  jumbotron does help keep them more involved in the game though.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, FightingSU said:

I just disagree with this. Im sorry. Its always a blast when I go and everyone seem to be into the game for the most part. I do wish there was some more participation in the crowd but thats about my only complaint... for the most part people are watching the game and paying attention. they can tell you who the opponent is.. and the score... also, some people do go to just have a good time and there is nothing wrong with that..

Have you ever gone to a game in the Winter Sports Center on 2nd Ave N ?

On 1/9/2022 at 8:04 PM, gfhockey said:

Just curious on how many seasons we give berry?

With a record like this, probably should have replaced Berry already ... 

Statistics overview
Season Team Overall Conference Standing Postseason
North Dakota Fighting Hawks (NCHC) (2015–present)
2015–16 North Dakota 34–6–4 19–4–2–1 1st NCAA Champion
2016–17 North Dakota 21–16–3 11–12–1–1 4th NCAA West Regional Semifinals
2017–18 North Dakota 17–13–10 8–10–6–3 4th NCHC Third Place Game (Win)
2018–19 North Dakota 18–17–2 12–11–1–0 5th NCHC First Round
2019–20 North Dakota 26–5–4 17–4–3–2 1st Tournament Cancelled
2020–21 North Dakota 22–6–1 18–5–1–2–1–0 1st NCAA Midwest Regional Semifinals
North Dakota: 138–63–24 85–46–14  
Total: 138–63–24  

National champion         Postseason invitational champion  
      Conference regular season champion         Conference regular season and conference tournament champion
      Division regular season champion       Division regular season and conference tournament champion
      Conference tournament champion

1 hour ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

remember when's ralphs's box had vegas strippers in it!!!

The Palace Princesses!

Have a couple great stories from that weekend when Ralph brought a plane full from Vegas.

Too long to type it all out but we were staying at the Ramada that weekend which is where Ralph's entourage was as well.

Hotel Bar stayed open until about 2:30-3 on Saturday night for those who were still there at 1 am. Had poolside rooms which turned out to be beneficial once the bar closed, some nice scenery. 

One part of story that we still laugh about. George(i think) who was one of Ralph's guys who had fingers as thick as my wrists came over to us and informed us the bar would be staying open a little later tonight if we wanted to stay and shook(crushed) all our hands. Went up to the bar to get a couple drinks for the table and George was up there getting a round as well and a couple of the girls were like "Geoooorge, can you buy us a drink" so he has them tell the bartender what they wanted and he makes the drinks and comes back to George and says $19.75 or something like that and George reaches in his pocket and pulls out a stack of cash and starts peeling through about 50-60 100's and all of a sudden stops and grabs a 50 and looks at it like how did that little guy get in there and throws it on the bar and walks away.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Fader said:

With a record like this, probably should have replaced Berry already ... 

Statistics overview
Season Team Overall Conference Standing Postseason
North Dakota Fighting Hawks (NCHC) (2015–present)
2015–16 North Dakota 34–6–4 19–4–2–1 1st NCAA Champion
2016–17 North Dakota 21–16–3 11–12–1–1 4th NCAA West Regional Semifinals
2017–18 North Dakota 17–13–10 8–10–6–3 4th NCHC Third Place Game (Win)
2018–19 North Dakota 18–17–2 12–11–1–0 5th NCHC First Round
2019–20 North Dakota 26–5–4 17–4–3–2 1st Tournament Cancelled
2020–21 North Dakota 22–6–1 18–5–1–2–1–0 1st NCAA Midwest Regional Semifinals
North Dakota: 138–63–24 85–46–14  
Total: 138–63–24  

National champion         Postseason invitational champion  
      Conference regular season champion         Conference regular season and conference tournament champion
      Division regular season champion       Division regular season and conference tournament champion
      Conference tournament champion

With one NCAA win since the National Championship. IMO if he doesn't make it to the frozen four this year I think he needs to go.  Too bad for him that 2020 was canceled, as we had a very good team and were probably the favorites for a national championship. 

Even after getting swept this last weekend we are still in first place in the toughest conference.  They need to win our conference games and the pairwise will take care of itself.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, SiouxHawkGuy said:

12,000+ chanting let’s go Hawks would be better than the half-assed Sioux chants just saying… 

Yep, flew in after many years away so my wife could see a game and do some fishing. Nervous Hawks chant, followed immediately by a weak Sioux chant seemingly intended to drown out the hawks chant, followed quickly by dead silence. I had to explain the name change neurosis afflicting the arena. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

45 minutes ago, CarpeRemote said:

Yep, flew in after many years away so my wife could see a game and do some fishing. Nervous Hawks chant, followed immediately by a weak Sioux chant seemingly intended to drown out the hawks chant, followed quickly by dead silence. I had to explain the name change neurosis afflicting the arena. 

Incredible stuff, eh?  

• Downvote 1

51 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I am not there yet. However, if he keeps losing recruiting battles and settles for grindaz (Copyright @gfhockey), he will find himself without a job at some point.

UND's pipeline is about as good as it gets right now with the exception, unfortunately, of Michigan.

58 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

Why not, his job should be performance based?

Because his performance has been good? LOL what am I missing?

2016 title... two down years... then, a conference title, COVID pause, conference title, conference post season title, NCAA win, crappy loss, and then today, leading the NCHC, still fine (for now) in the PWR.... please help me out here.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Big Green said:

With one NCAA win since the National Championship. IMO if he doesn't make it to the frozen four this year I think he needs to go.  Too bad for him that 2020 was canceled, as we had a very good team and were probably the favorites for a national championship. 

Even after getting swept this last weekend we are still in first place in the toughest conference.  They need to win our conference games and the pairwise will take care of itself.

That's not going to happen. 

13 minutes ago, Goon said:

That's not going to happen. 

Totally agree.  That is way i put in my opinion.

Fact.  Since the 2016 National Championship Bubba and Berry have the same amount of NCAA Tourney Wins.  Yes I know Hockey had the Covid year and have not yet finished this year.  Berry has a lot more resources available to him and has failed IMO.

3 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Including the 2016 year, UND has had the best team in the nation three times over the last 6 years.
One year they won the title.
One year COVID won the title.
One year they lost a heartbreaker in 5OT.

Would have been great to have another title from those three amazing teams, but stuff happens in college hockey one-and-done format (not even including the COVID cancellation year).  He's shown he can build a championship team and he's won the title.
If he's gonna get canned, it's not going to be anytime soon, regardless of what happens this year.

Can we hang a banner for this?  

We were probably the best team in 2020.  Cornell would have something to say about that.  According the the people doing the polls we were not.

An no he has not build a championship team.  He had a championship team handed to him.  Unless we are talking Conference championships (who cares)