SiouxSports.com Forum

Cornell @ UND -- Saturday Gameday

stoneySIOUX

We have so many firsts this season and no good ones, Berry took over with Haks. Players and win the title what has he done since , not much ,losing recruits his Choice or theirs but still losing them, our style of play this year has been halter skelter at best , heavy is the head that wears the crown.

43 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Two plays epitomize the weekend...

Friday: Cornell's 2nd goal

Saturday: Missed penalty shot

Those 2 plays turn out different and my guess is we are celebrating a sweep.

I knew once he missed that penalty shot it was kind of a foreshadow of the evening to come. I was telling my wife who is from the tropics and doesn’t know much about hockey what a penalty shot is. I told her that this particular player(Senden) was not the ideal one to take the penalty shot. It got me thinking are we able to pick another player to take that or does it have to be the player who had the penalty committed on them? 

Wasn't Ford one of the top goal scorers in the nation last year?

Judd.......don't even know what to say.  Honestly thought he was gonna have a monster season. He's just way too talented to have gone 12 games now without a point.

30 minutes ago, Green Banner said:

Schlosh has something in his article today about the possibility of bringing someone in before semester starts. 

As of right now, they haven't talked about it

"We did last year with Louis Jamernik," Berry said. "That was a great move there. He added right away to our group. If we do, it's got to be selective. It's got to be the right move and it's always tough taking a player from another organization halfway through the year. We haven't considered it as of now, but the semester hasn't started yet. It would have to be pretty quick. But right now, we haven't (talked about it)."

17 hours ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Wasn’t Cornell ranked number one in the last year or two?

Take the Kelly green glasses off and give Cornell some credit

not saying we played up to our ability 

Thank you.  I have to say it's disappointing to see so many North Dakota fans so underestimate the team they were facing this weekend.  Cornell finished its last full season, 2019-2020,  with a 23-2-4 record and a 1.53 goals-against-average, was ranked first in both national polls, and was third in the pairwise.  Prior to the anomalous Arizona State weekend, Cornell was 9-1-1 this season, giving it a 32-3-5 record (8-0-2 out-of-conference) over a forty game span across its last two seasons

The team had a four-week layoff for finals and holiday vacation before the ASU series, during which a wave of Covid swept the campus, shutting it down, with the virus affecting many players and disrupting team practices.  At ASU, that was not the Cornell team that we've seen over its past two seasons.  So stop the self-flagellation over the two losses.  The Fighting Hawks were playing a damn good team that historically plays tenacious defense and knows how to win.

Also worth pointing out is Cornell's first and third top scorers missed the UND series with injuries, and its head coach was sick and not behind the bench for Saturday night's game.  So, look for revenge and come to Lynah Rink next year to experience what college hockey is like in an old-time college hockey barn.

Cornell had 37 total SOG in 120 minutes. UND's weekend save % was .811......add in UND is offensively challenged. Perfect weekend storm for Cornell and to their credit they took advantage of it. Shane is a very solid goalie. Was fun to watch Cody play both nights.

38 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Judd.......don't even know what to say.  Honestly thought he was gonna have a monster season. He's just way too talented to have gone 12 games now without a point.

It's crazy.  I, too, expected him to have a great season and be an offensive catalyst for this team.
Not so much.

20 minutes ago, Hotspur said:
Cornell finished its last full season, 2019-2020,  with a 23-2-4 record and a 1.53 goals-against-average, was ranked first in both national polls, and was third in the pairwise.

So, look for revenge and come to Lynah Rink next year to experience what college hockey is like in an old-time college hockey barn.

That's great and all, but the 19/20 season has absolutely nothing to do with this season.  Both teams have completely different rosters from two years ago.
Cornell is a fine team, but I'd say they're in the same boat as UND this year...both will be bubble NCAA teams and have a decent shot at not making the tourney.

2 hours ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

We have so many firsts this season and no good ones, Berry took over with Haks. Players and win the title what has he done since , not much ,losing recruits his Choice or theirs but still losing them, our style of play this year has been halter skelter at best , heavy is the head that wears the crown.

Berry has had three excellent teams since he took over as HC. 

One was the national champ year.
One was easily the best team in the nation before the entire postseason was wiped out by COVID.
One was easily the best team in the nation before the postseason was "influenced by COVID" (opponents getting byes due to cancelled games) and lost in a multiple OT heartbreaker to a rival.

This year we knew would be a difficult year after all the players came back for last years title run and then left or signed pro contracts.
Berry has built (or helped build) those three amazing teams...he can do it again, but it needs to start now with nailing down some more high-caliber recruits.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, brianvf said:

It's crazy.  I, too, expected him to have a great season and be an offensive catalyst for this team.
Not so much.

That's great and all, but the 19/20 season has absolutely nothing to do with this season.  Both teams have completely different rosters from two years ago.
Cornell is a fine team, but I'd say they're in the same boat as UND this year...both will be bubble NCAA teams and have a decent shot at not making the tourney.

I agree that they both might be bubble teams.  So why is everyone here so upset that one bubble team was swept by another?  And you cherry-picked only one piece of what I wrote.  A lot of that 2019-20 team is back, and some talented newcomers (Shane, Kovich, Psenicka, O'Leary, Ertel), all of whom burned UND this weekend.

33 minutes ago, Hotspur said:

I agree that they both might be bubble teams.  So why is everyone here so upset that one bubble team was swept by another?  And you cherry-picked only one piece of what I wrote.  A lot of that 2019-20 team is back, and some talented newcomers (Shane, Kovich, Psenicka, O'Leary, Ertel), all of whom burned UND this weekend.

Congrats on the weekend. Your team is incredibly average. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Hotspur said:

So why is everyone here so upset that one bubble team was swept by another?  And you cherry-picked only one piece of what I wrote.  A lot of that 2019-20 team is back, and some talented newcomers (Shane, Kovich, Psenicka, O'Leary, Ertel), all of whom burned UND this weekend.

Why are the UND fans upset?  It might have something to do with being swept at home by a non-conference opponent for the first time since October 2006.
Just a guess though.  :p

1/3 of your roster is different from that 19/20 team.  Both UND and Cornell were dominant that year.
UND is hardly dominant this year, and from what I saw of Cornell this weekend...neither are they.  They scored on enough of their chances to sweep UND, so credit to them.  As I said earlier, they appear to be a fine team.
But both of these teams are going to need plenty of puck luck and a perfect game to beat the likes of Mich, Mankato, SCSU, WMU, Quinnipiac, etc if they meet in the NCAA's. 

It'll be interesting to see how Cornell matches up against QU when they play them...QU was a very fast, very skilled team when we played them earlier this season...UND was lucky to get out of there with a split.

9 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Quite a few if the boys at joe blacks last night drinking the pain away

hain out for quite a while he said

Out celebrating their big weekend!  Good to see.

Sucks about Hain.  Can't afford to get all these injured forwards, especially when Hain was on the shutdown line.