SiouxSports.com Forum

2022 Olympics

brianvf

2 hours ago, FightingSU said:

He is going to end up having to quarantine and then the Olympics will be cancelled 1/3 of the way thru due to "Omicron" and his trip will be a waste of time and games missed. hope im not right but.  Kid should just stay and help his actual team win a Penrose cup

Representing Team USA at the Olympics > Playing for UND

And it's not even close.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

This post was in the Mankato freepress in regards to the 2022 Olympic team. Mike Hastings with Mankato has been selected as an assistant head coach of the 2022 Olympics team

https://www.mankatofreepress.com/hastings-to-work-as-assistant-for-2022-u-s-mens-olympic-team/article_ab22f42c-6f13-11ec-a597-5fd6758b2258.html?utm_campaign=blox&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&fbclid=IwAR1eSKCrCQEX9id1bYqPmm3O_3YqfxxyG9W4xDxC7ZbXjwJ3HUz01wBljN0

31 minutes ago, Ice Arena Man said:

This post was in the Mankato freepress in regards to the 2022 Olympic team. Mike Hastings with Mankato has been selected as an assistant head coach of the 2022 Olympics team

https://www.mankatofreepress.com/hastings-to-work-as-assistant-for-2022-u-s-mens-olympic-team/article_ab22f42c-6f13-11ec-a597-5fd6758b2258.html?utm_campaign=blox&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&fbclid=IwAR1eSKCrCQEX9id1bYqPmm3O_3YqfxxyG9W4xDxC7ZbXjwJ3HUz01wBljN0

St Cloud Brett Larson also named assistant for US

Sanderson is probably gone.  Olympics followed by signing his NHL contract. 

I can't imagine he could...maybe I'm wrong...keep up with his studies while quickly training for the Olympics and basically being gone for a month and a half.  

But an opportunity to represent your country in the Olympic Games vs. college hockey?  Come on...   That's an easy decision.  I'd be disappointed if he didn't go. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hayduke1 said:

I can't imagine he could...maybe I'm wrong...keep up with his studies while quickly training for the Olympics and basically being gone for a month and a half.  

But an opportunity to represent your country in the Olympic Games vs. college hockey?  Come on...   That's an easy decision.  I'd be disappointed if he didn't go. 

Ludvig Hoff seemed to manage it. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Jake could possibly have a closet full of USA garb (Juniors and Olympics) and never play a meaningful game in any USA sweater.

Didn’t he win gold last year in the world juniors ?  Canda/USA championship game would be a meaningful one. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, gfhockey said:

Who do we having coming up next year to replace Sandy 

damn that’s a good name

Next year? Not a lot for D-men. Forwards will be fun with Blake, McLaughlin, and Strinden. We'll need an impact D-man from the portal, IMO. 

The next year we'll have Livanvage and Strathmann. Perron coming in for forward looks like he'll be a special player.

3 hours ago, Hayduke1 said:

I don't see any reason why he wouldn't come back to UND for the stretch run. If he wanted to start his pro career early, he would have left after his freshman year, IMO.

On 1/6/2022 at 6:57 PM, Hayduke1 said:

I don't see him signing with Ottawa after the Olympics are over.  Bailing on the team in the middle of the stretch run would be a bad look as well.
From the timelines I've seen, depending on how USA does in the tourney, he could only miss between 2-3 weeks.  And since UND has a bye week in the middle of that, he could miss as little as 2 series or possibly at most 3 series.

Not in favor of these kids choosing to go

i know why they do it but it puts a lot of other kids in jeopardy of not making play offs

between juniors and Olympics certain schools get hit hard

such is life 

• Upvote 1

Sanderson should absolutely go to the Olypmics. 

USA hockey has been a huge part of his development and opportunities.

He doesn't "owe" UND anything more than he "owes" USA Hockey, in fact if you want to think of it like that,  quite a bit less actually.

I do, however, think it's going to be a gong show. 

95% chance Olympics get cancelled 50-70% the way through.... add in the 5+ weeks of quarantine and it about burns the regular season... 

at that point, the Debbie Downer... or the Randy Realist in me sees a UND team on the outside of the tourney looking in.....

At that point Ottawa, again looking at anything to dangle infront of their tortured fans.... has to push superhard to sign the WJC captain / Olympian.  

They promise NHL games for the rest of the season.

He signs, because, thats the dream the goal. I would, you would, we all would.

And I'll wish him the best and be happy he chose UND as a part of what made his dream a reality.

As should we all.

• Upvote 4

There's no way I'd go to China short of a full guarantee that I could leave immediately upon my request no matter my health status. (And I'd trust that guarantee as much as three-day old gas station sushi.)  

Covid still locking down cities: https://www.cnbc.com/2021/12/23/major-chinese-city-locks-down-to-control-covid-outbreak.html 

And now a new virus (hemorrhagic fever with renal syndrome) on the move in China: http://weekly.chinacdc.cn/en/article/doi/10.46234/ccdcw2021.272

• Upvote 1

On 1/11/2022 at 12:20 PM, Frozen4sioux said:

Sanderson should absolutely go to the Olypmics. 

USA hockey has been a huge part of his development and opportunities.

He doesn't "owe" UND anything more than he "owes" USA Hockey, in fact if you want to think of it like that,  quite a bit less actually.

I do, however, think it's going to be a gong show. 

95% chance Olympics get cancelled 50-70% the way through.... add in the 5+ weeks of quarantine and it about burns the regular season... 

at that point, the Debbie Downer... or the Randy Realist in me sees a UND team on the outside of the tourney looking in.....

At that point Ottawa, again looking at anything to dangle infront of their tortured fans.... has to push superhard to sign the WJC captain / Olympian.  

They promise NHL games for the rest of the season.

He signs, because, thats the dream the goal. I would, you would, we all would.

And I'll wish him the best and be happy he chose UND as a part of what made his dream a reality.

As should we all.

Careful for being a realist on this board

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

There's no way I'd go to China short of a full guarantee that I could leave immediately upon my request no matter my health status. (And I'd trust that guarantee as much as three-day old gas station sushi.)  

Covid still locking down cities: https://www.cnbc.com/2021/12/23/major-chinese-city-locks-down-to-control-covid-outbreak.html 

And now a new virus (hemorrhagic fever with renal syndrome) on the move in China: http://weekly.chinacdc.cn/en/article/doi/10.46234/ccdcw2021.272

140 cases... lol... MUST LOCKDOWN CIVILIZATION NOW!! Screw China. lmao.

image.png.8fda017dd72d38b8d5ca5a7fc9ae0323.png

2022 Olympic Winter Games | U.S. Men's Roster

https://teamusa.usahockey.com/2022olympicmenroster

NOTE "All 25 players on the U.S. roster have played college hockey in the U.S., including 15 currently playing in the NCAA"

Hmm, a bunch of college kids playing for team USA in the Olympics?  Tring to remember how that worked out last time they did that?!!  :wink: