SiouxSports.com Forum

2022 Olympics

brianvf

11 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

2022 Olympic Winter Games | U.S. Men's Roster

https://teamusa.usahockey.com/2022olympicmenroster

NOTE "All 25 players on the U.S. roster have played college hockey in the U.S., including 15 currently playing in the NCAA"

Hmm, a bunch of college kids playing for team USA in the Olympics?  Tring to remember how that worked out last time they did that?!!  :wink:

Umm. We went 1-4-3 and finished 8th in 1994.

Since the 1980 Miracle year...

1984---2-2-2  7th

1988---3-3-0   7th

1992---5-2-1    4th

Went 2-3 and finished 7th with a team put together in similar fashion to this team in 2018.

1 hour ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

2022 Olympic Winter Games | U.S. Men's Roster

https://teamusa.usahockey.com/2022olympicmenroster

NOTE "All 25 players on the U.S. roster have played college hockey in the U.S., including 15 currently playing in the NCAA"

Hmm, a bunch of college kids playing for team USA in the Olympics?  Tring to remember how that worked out last time they did that?!!  :wink:

Much as I love college hockey, a decent share of talent goes Canadian Junior.  Hope our selection people weren’t biased against. 

11 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

There's no way I'd go to China short of a full guarantee that I could leave immediately upon my request no matter my health status. (And I'd trust that guarantee as much as three-day old gas station sushi.)  

Covid still locking down cities: https://www.cnbc.com/2021/12/23/major-chinese-city-locks-down-to-control-covid-outbreak.html 

And now a new virus (hemorrhagic fever with renal syndrome) on the move in China: http://weekly.chinacdc.cn/en/article/doi/10.46234/ccdcw2021.272

Follow the science, too many vs. too many?
Too many people eating(& or living around) too many different kings of animals.

• 2 weeks later...

Additionally, games participants in the Olympics and Paralympics are encouraged to limit their physical contact with others and to show support for competing teammates by clapping, rather than cheering, hugging, shouting, or singing. Interestingly, though, while the IOC emphasizes maintaining social distance, organizers will still hand out free condoms ... 

https://www.self.com/story/covid-19-beijing-winter-olympics-2022 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, farce poobah said:

Of all the Olympic athletes that seem like regular people, the US Curling Team seems like the ones most likely to find at the local tavern/cafe, to share a beer/coffee with.

All curling athletes are like that I think.  A highlight of Salt Lake was hanging out with the teams afterward.  There was a curling hospitality club right next to the venue and you could drink and talk with the teams.  We spent a lot of time with the Canadians and the Swedes.  I had similar experiences at the World Championships in Bismarck and Grand Forks. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, nodakvindy said:

All curling athletes are like that I think.  A highlight of Salt Lake was hanging out with the teams afterward.  There was a curling hospitality club right next to the venue and you could drink and talk with the teams.  We spent a lot of time with the Canadians and the Swedes.  I had similar experiences at the World Championships in Bismarck and Grand Forks. 

If you guys didn't go to the "Broken Broom Lounge" that was held in the Olympic arena during the World Curling Championships in 2008, you missed out.  Curlers know how to party.  I can confirm this being a curler myself.  Curling clubs are basically bars with curling sheets attached.  Hell, you can drink a beer while on the ice while you play!!  It's encouraged!!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Does anyone else seem to have less interest this year? For some reason I haven’t watched much yet.

doesn't having the olympics in a communist country fly in the face of what the olympics are all about....asking for some uyghurs that aren't able to watch with their families tonight

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

doesn't having the olympics in a communist country fly in the face of what the olympics are all about....asking for some uyghurs that aren't able to watch with their families tonight

None of the Uyghurs were made available to comment....:lol:

• Upvote 1

How can any of these hockey players "from China" look at themselves in the mirror and say I was an olympic athlete? They had to know that they were never going to actually compete for a medal, so why even bother renouncing your HOME country to play for some communists? I don't get it...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

How can any of these hockey players "from China" look at themselves in the mirror and say I was an olympic athlete? They had to know that they were never going to actually compete for a medal, so why even bother renouncing your HOME country to play for some communists? I don't get it...

Not many people have the opportunity to say: "I was an Olympic athlete."  But if you CAN make the USA team, and you are US born and raised, then I don't understand playing under another flag....

• Upvote 1

Just now, bcblues said:

Not many people have the opportunity to say: "I was an Olympic athlete."  But if you CAN make the USA team, and you are US born and raised, then I don't understand playing under another flag....

I understand that many don't have an opportunity to say "I was an Olympic athlete", but where is the pride in saying "I represented a communist country because I wasn't good enough to represent my home country"? You think Ralph Cox would've renounced his citizenship to play for a communist country?