SiouxSports.com Forum

2022 Olympics

brianvf

38 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

How can any of these hockey players "from China" look at themselves in the mirror and say I was an olympic athlete? They had to know that they were never going to actually compete for a medal, so why even bother renouncing your HOME country to play for some communists? I don't get it...

I know #45 for China is still a citizen of the US. There is an article about it. So I doubt they all had to.

1 hour ago, bcblues said:

Whoops, yes, I certainly didn't mean the confederate flag! Sorry.

You're lucky you are not cancelled even though there wasn't any malicious intent.   Seems it is hard to make an honest mistake now without it being an unforgivable infraction. 

7 hours ago, Vegas_Sioux said:

Not sure who all read this article but this excerpt is incredible.

Zhou Jiaying, who more often goes by the name Kimberly Newell, is the team's Canadian-born goalie, and she found herself in the middle of an awkward situation recently.

Although her Olympic profile lists English as her first language spoken, she was recently told that she was not allowed to speak English to members of the press. Instead, she had to speak Mandarin and allow a translator to convey her words to the media.

So not only does the Canadian born player have to change her name but the CCP is requiring she give interviews in Chinese and then interpreted back into her native English.  That right there sums up China and their contempt for the West and the absolute iron control they have to have on the athletes and the message.

I hope the (Winter) Olympics are never held in China again.  These Games have been nothing but, I don't know, weird because they are in China.  Fake snow, brown mountains, melting half pipes, ski jumps in an industrial zone with massive cooling towers as a backdrop, athletes locked up in quarantine like they are in prison.  Just surreal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cberkas said:

I can’t find it but I remember the IOC telling the US if you bid you’ll get the 2022 Winter Olympics pretty much begging them. Of corse The USOC put all their eggs into LA summer games. Because of these winter games the bidding process changed.

Hoping Salt Lake gets 2030.  They are the ideal host, facilities are great and in relatively compact area and snow is real.