Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum

2022 Olympics


brianvf
 Share

Recommended Posts

I'm guessing USA Hockey is going to be pushing Sanderson really hard to play in the Olympics.
Looking at the Olympic Hockey schedule, it appears USA's first prelim game is Feb 10 and the medal round ends Feb 20.

But who knows how many days prior to Feb 10 he'd have to leave and how many days after USA's last game before he'd be back on campus.  Especially if anything happens over there and the players need to be in quarantine.

If he plays, he'd probably be out the entire month of February so he'd miss the series against CC, UMD, and WMU (UND has a week off in February already).  Hopefully he could play against SCSU Jan 28/29 and hopefully he'd be back and cleared for the UNO series Mar 4/5.

Tough to lose him for that amount of time, especially since he's already missed time with injuries. 
And even more so since this will be our last season to see him in a UND sweater.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, brianvf said:

I'm guessing USA Hockey is going to be pushing Sanderson really hard to play in the Olympics.
Looking at the Olympic Hockey schedule, it appears USA's first prelim game is Feb 10 and the medal round ends Feb 20.

But who knows how many days prior to Feb 10 he'd have to leave and how many days after USA's last game before he'd be back on campus.  Especially if anything happens over there and the players need to be in quarantine.

If he plays, he'd probably be out the entire month of February so he'd miss the series against CC, UMD, and WMU (UND has a week off in February already).  Hopefully he could play against SCSU Jan 28/29 and hopefully he'd be back and cleared for the UNO series Mar 4/5.

Tough to lose him for that amount of time, especially since he's already missed time with injuries. 
And even more so since this will be our last season to see him in a UND sweater.

Not to mention he might be just a little tired from back to back international tourneys...at least he doesn't have to walk back from the World Juniors like the Gofer players use to.  Or at least that's what their announcers would have you believe.:D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, brianvf said:

I'm guessing USA Hockey is going to be pushing Sanderson really hard to play in the Olympics.
Looking at the Olympic Hockey schedule, it appears USA's first prelim game is Feb 10 and the medal round ends Feb 20.

But who knows how many days prior to Feb 10 he'd have to leave and how many days after USA's last game before he'd be back on campus.  Especially if anything happens over there and the players need to be in quarantine.

If he plays, he'd probably be out the entire month of February so he'd miss the series against CC, UMD, and WMU (UND has a week off in February already).  Hopefully he could play against SCSU Jan 28/29 and hopefully he'd be back and cleared for the UNO series Mar 4/5.

Tough to lose him for that amount of time, especially since he's already missed time with injuries. 
And even more so since this will be our last season to see him in a UND sweater.

I've already mentally scratched him from the month of January and February. I'd assume they'll have him there no later than 2 weeks before the games, but that's with no insight regarding the process. Getting him back for the March 4/5 series to end the regular season @ Omaha is what I'm thinking.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I've already mentally scratched him from the month of January and February. I'd assume they'll have him there no later than 2 weeks before the games, but that's with no insight regarding the process. Getting him back for the March 4/5 series to end the regular season @ Omaha is what I'm thinking.

Well that, on top of the world juniors and injuries from earlier in this season.... jeeze. I guess we will see what happen with Olympics but does he even play for UND? A bit hyperbolic I know, but....not hating on the kid for taking advantage of opportunity but, hard to consider him a UND player at this point if he goes for that long with the Olympics, just saying.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, FightingSU said:

Well that, on top of the world juniors and injuries from earlier in this season.... jeeze. I guess we will see what happen with Olympics but does he even play for UND? A bit hyperbolic I know, but....not hating on the kid for taking advantage of opportunity but, hard to consider him a UND player at this point if he goes for that long with the Olympics, just saying.

So, you don't want to claim a player as one of our own if he goes and represents team USA at the Olympics?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, SiouxBoys said:

So, you don't want to claim a player as one of our own if he goes and represents team USA at the Olympics?

That's not what I am saying. I think its still something to be proud of and is good for UND to have an Olympian - obviously. I am just saying the percentage of games played and his absence is just really high is all. That's a truthful statement, and I have already prefaced this by saying I am coming from a big UND homer bias that wants a natty POV. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, FightingSU said:

Well that, on top of the world juniors and injuries from earlier in this season.... jeeze. I guess we will see what happen with Olympics but does he even play for UND? A bit hyperbolic I know, but....not hating on the kid for taking advantage of opportunity but, hard to consider him a UND player at this point if he goes for that long with the Olympics, just saying.

Lol you think he's no longer a UND player? "Not hating on the kid for taking advantage of an opportunity" 

No, not a bit hyperbolic.... this is dramatic. 

I get what you're saying, but I just don't agree, man. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Lol you think he's no longer a UND player? "Not hating on the kid for taking advantage of an opportunity" 

No, not a bit hyperbolic.... this is dramatic. 

I get what you're saying, but I just don't agree, man. 

I did not say "I DON'T THINK HE IS A UND PLAYER". I'm just saying its a little crazy he will play for 3 separate teams in one season is a little unorthodox maybe. This isn't exactly a super normal situation, so to act like it is super normal is kind of weird to me. Also, you are welcome to disagree, man.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, FightingSU said:

I did not say "I DON'T THINK HE IS A UND PLAYER". I'm just saying its a little crazy he will play for 3 separate teams in one season is a little unorthodox maybe. This isn't exactly a super normal situation, so to act like it is super normal is kind of weird to me. Also, you are welcome to disagree, man.

But you did say "hard to consider him a und player"...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, SiouxBoys said:

But you did say "hard to consider him a und player"...

It is correct, I did say this.  For missing ~30% of the season because of playing for other teams. I also said. "I have already prefaced this by saying I am coming from a big UND homer bias that wants a natty POV" So, selfishly, I'd like him to stay. Sue me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, FightingSU said:

I did not say "I DON'T THINK HE IS A UND PLAYER". I'm just saying its a little crazy he will play for 3 separate teams in one season is a little unorthodox maybe. This isn't exactly a super normal situation, so to act like it is super normal is kind of weird to me. Also, you are welcome to disagree, man.

You said it's hard to consider him a UND player, but alright man. Yes, this is an odd year. No one said it's normal. All of that said, I'm not in the camp that I would ever not consider him a UND player.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

 

He is going to end up having to quarantine and then the Olympics will be cancelled 1/3 of the way thru due to "Omicron" and his trip will be a waste of time and games missed. hope im not right but.  Kid should just stay and help his actual team win a Penrose cup

  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Just out of curiosity, would you say any of this to this kid's face?

We all want Sandy to help up bring home hardware, man. But, this thought process lacks so much perspective.

Agreed. Having been to the Olympics as a spectator (yes - 1980 vs the Czechs and Russians) I can tell you that for him to be a part of that and have that memory is probably a once in a lifetime shot. Maybe he says I stay at UND as a Junior to get the rest of it...

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, BusinessSiouxt said:

Agreed. Having been to the Olympics as a spectator (yes - 1980 vs the Czechs and Russians) I can tell you that for him to be a part of that and have that memory is probably a once in a lifetime shot. Maybe he says I stay at UND as a Junior to get the rest of it...

Can someone explain to me how the IOC plans on or thinks they can have a successful Olympic games?

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Green Banner said:

Can someone explain to me how the IOC plans on or thinks they can have a successful Olympic games?

LOL let's not do that in this thread. No one honestly knows if the Olympics are gonna go.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Green Banner said:

Can someone explain to me how the IOC plans on or thinks they can have a successful Olympic games?

Agreed.  If you can't finish the World Juniors, how the heck are they going to be able to complete the entire Olympics?

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, FightingSU said:

Thats my point.

I mean, it seems like your point has shifted a bit a few times, but yes, we all understand that it's a bit of "risk" to go there. The issue I have is that you keep glossing over the fact that this is potentially a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and making it about how you feel about UND's chance to win a national championship. If this was something a kid has wanted his whole life, worked his sack off for, and you don't think he should go because of your personal hopes, that is bothersome and why I say the thought process lacks perspective. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...