SiouxSports.com Forum

UND travels to Southern Illinois Oct. 16 2p.m.

BarnWinterSportsEngelstad

10 hours ago, TBR said:

Pre-snap penalties. Body language. 

That's quite the jump. A bunch of younger kids making mental mistakes and guys being disappointed after losing a game and they are automatically checked out.

I'll just say I disagree with your assessment. They still control their fate and understand that. If they lose a couple more games, then I'll buy into it.

Will be an interesting game. Even with a win last week, UND would have still be an underdog and ranked lower than SIU who's coming in at #4, which on paper is one spot higher than NDSU was when UND played them. If they win, I believe it would be the 2nd highest ranked opponent UND has beaten (behind SDSU at #3 this spring).

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jdub27 said:

That's quite the jump. A bunch of younger kids making mental mistakes and guys being disappointed after losing a game and they are automatically checked out.

I was referring to the players body language during the game. I said they looked to me like they were checked...as in it was a casual observation not that they were "automatically " disengaged. But...whatever.

Hope you're right about the game coming up being interesting.  I'll certainly be watching.

• Upvote 1

I don't know what to expect at all with this game. When expectations are there for a good/great season, there is disappointment that follows, also relates to a decent amount of games. This is a game that my expectations are lowered greatly, especially after USD, could see this game going either a tight UND win, or an SIU blowout win, no idea what to expect and don't have much expectations. I could see UND pulling this game off, then in 2015/2018 Idaho state like fashion, losing to Youngstown State or at a better Missouri State game to make up for a big win this weekend. 

31 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

It would so like a Bubba team to lose a game they legitimately could've won and then turn around and surprise a team they shouldn't. 

Would it? The first part, definitely, but I can't recall too many what I would call "surprise" wins. I guess Wyoming was to me. @ SHSU maybe. I can't think of any others. Certainly nothing like this weekend.

1 hour ago, AJS said:

Would it? The first part, definitely, but I can't recall too many what I would call "surprise" wins. I guess Wyoming was to me. @ SHSU maybe. I can't think of any others. Certainly nothing like this weekend.

SDSU last year might have been, especially in hindsight since they really should have one the Title last year and would have if not for injured QB.  Montana State a couple of years ago, for me was a little surprising because our DL had injuries and they had a power running game.  I figured they were going to run up and down the field, not sure how we shut them down but we did.

One good thing is that we are at a point that there are very few games for us now that can be labeled a surprise win.  I think this one would be classified as a surprise win, beating the #4 team at home when our offense has shown little to no signs of life the last two games.  At the beginning of the year it would have been labeled as a very good road win. But given the situation now, it would be somewhat of a surprise win IMO. 

37 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

SDSU last year might have been, especially in hindsight since they really should have one the Title last year and would have if not for injured QB.  Montana State a couple of years ago, for me was a little surprising because our DL had injuries and they had a power running game.  I figured they were going to run up and down the field, not sure how we shut them down but we did.

One good thing is that we are at a point that there are very few games for us now that can be labeled a surprise win.  I think this one would be classified as a surprise win, beating the #4 team at home when our offense has shown little to no signs of life the last two games.  At the beginning of the year it would have been labeled as a very good road win. But given the situation now, it would be somewhat of a surprise win IMO. 

I was more concentrating on road games. Outside of NDSU*, I think they'd have a fighting chance to win against anyone else at home. If this game was being played in Grand Forks, I would think they'd have a shot. On the road, not so much.

*Obviously proved this Fall, even NDSU at home can be a contest. 

1 hour ago, AJS said:

I was more concentrating on road games. Outside of NDSU*, I think they'd have a fighting chance to win against anyone else at home. If this game was being played in Grand Forks, I would think they'd have a shot. On the road, not so much.

*Obviously proved this Fall, even NDSU at home can be a contest. 

Gotcha, yeah we haven't had too many surprise or big wins on the road recently other than those you mentioned. 

I realize that no team can live off of "trick plays", but a touchdown is a touchdown. These are the same who complain about a boring predictable offense. Personally I enjoy knowing that at anytime something creative could happen when our offense is on the field. Now a 20 yard run up the gut is also exciting, but I don't get all the complaints about "trick plays" when it's really just another play in the book. 

• Upvote 1