SiouxSports.com Forum

2021 Game Day - NDSU vs UND at Alerus Center

BarnWinterSportsEngelstad

7 hours ago, Mama Sue said:

I am not as technical and knowledgeable as most here. But if I can see a play and question it, then I know it is obvious. I will NOT mention names or games….but at one point I said to myself “that kid was paid off.”  There is no doubt in my mind that these things can happen in sports. Not to coaches…..
Let’s just leave this 4th down for what it is. We can’t go back snd hind sight is 20/20. But it isn’t like we have had 2 years of converting on 4th downs either.

Conspiracy????? :D  :whistling:

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, UND1983 said:

Gawd NDSU fans are losers on BV.  Go read the post-game thread. Just pathetic embarrassing comments.  So juvenile, they are obsessed with UND, it just took the game being renewed to come out.

You must be reading a different board than I am.  The ONLY person obsessed with you is Lakes. And everyone knows hes a freaking idiot.

1 hour ago, bison73 said:

You must be reading a different board than I am.  The ONLY person obsessed with you is Lakes. And everyone knows hes a freaking idiot.

He needs serious help.
Banning hasn't worked.
Last few years he has come in as the Mexican Cartel (ElChapo).
You know how everyone jokes about don't feed a troll.
Well posters can't help themselves and throw out the worm.
Faithful Bison posters are shooting very serious arrows at him, and he sucks the razor tips right up.

• Upvote 3

It is encouraging to see alot of people on this board mad that we didn't win and not happy just because we played NDSU close. UND should've won that game. 4th down our our own 20 while in the lead is one of the dumbest play choices I have seen. It's maybe different if we are trailing and need a spark but we had showed our defense could hold. If we were up 7 or 10, maybe a little easier on it, but failure to get the 2 yards and you have them in FG range already for a kicker who doesn't miss, while only leading by 1, so giving them the lead. To be honest though if they attempt to convert on that 4th down instead of kick it we are even further behind. But the play calling once we were down by 2 made it seem like we were in the lead and trying to protect and run out the clock. 

Also if NDSU didn't see on their last drive that they need to go back to what they did in the spring with running #44(I believe) then I do not know what they are thinking. He runs tough up the guy and chewed up atleast 3 yards every time if not more. All they were trying to do was run clock off and it turned into a TD drive for them. How huge it would've been to stop them that drive and get a FG even to take the lead and make NDSU try to drive the field in the end, forcing them to throw that hadn't worked for them all game. 

Clock management in the 4th was bad too. There were a few plays in the end of the 1st half and end of the game that there was a WR/RB that had the chance to get out of bounds and instead attempted to get more yards but kept the clock running, we also believe there was a timeout in pocket at the end of the game, but I believe we may have saved that to set up a FG attempt with little time left on the clock if we could've scored a TD on the last drive, and converted a on-side. But failure to get points on the board before half seemed crazy.

Good game on Saturday, tough loss.  Especially considering the three or four mistakes everyone’s already mentioned.  Time fir the team to put that one behind them and get ready fir the Yotes.

Only question left from the NDSU game is: “Will the pollsters count that as a ‘UNI’ type quality loss??

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Nodak78 said:

360guys posted this clip of the holding NOT called after the punt to the 1/2 yard line.  This missed call was huge.

Kudos to their OL for holding there. He absolutely has to it would’ve been a safety. Instead he put it on the refs to make a tough call.

7 hours ago, Wildfan said:

There were a few plays in the end of the 1st half and end of the game that there was a WR/RB that had the chance to get out of bounds and instead attempted to get more yards but kept the clock running

I'm pretty sure one of those players was Skokna.  He will need to be taught better situational awareness.

56 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Kudos to their OL for holding there. He absolutely has to it would’ve been a safety. Instead he put it on the refs to make a tough call.

Literally the best place on the field to hold lol. Save points and a penalty is zero yards. 

8 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

Literally the best place on the field to hold lol. Save points and a penalty is zero yards. 

Yes.  As long as the hold wasn't in the end zone, it wouldn't be a safety, right?  May as well risk that every time.  Kind of like jumping the snap on an extra point attempt if you're desperately trying to block it.   

• Upvote 1

Going for it at your 20. <-- Coaching call.

The pick. <-- Yeah, Tommy threw it, but was he told before the play to eat it or throw it away if he had to? Coaching.

The other 4th down play. <-- Play selection. You have an All-American back. Coaching.

The unrecovered muffed punt. <-- That's on the players, but how was that not receiver interference when we blocked a Bison into their PR? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Smith needs more carries.  Either ndsu was never expecting him to get the ball, or he has the best vision on the team.

Agree.  Leading up to the game, I wrote that I didn't think we could run it down their (or maybe anybody's) throats, as much as the coaches may want that to be our style.  Now, I'm not so sure.  Smith looked great in his limited use.  (He needed to get double digit carries) Otis was close to breaking free many times.  Skokna is kind of a Swiss Army Knife, and can be involved in several interesting looks (running, receiving, trick plays, etc.) I think we could have a punishing run game if we rotate our RBs and keep them fresh.

47 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

The pick. <-- Yeah, Tommy threw it, but was he told before the play to eat it or throw it away if he had to? Coaching.

I've rewatched the throw multiple times trying to figure out what happened. That's just not a throw Tommy makes, ever. He was trying to lob it over the defenders head and give Belquist a chance to run under it but he was falling back as he was throwing due to a defender getting ready to hit him and it just got some extra air under it. Just a really unfortunate play all around. 

Also, the complaing from NDSU fans about the UND touchdown is laughable. It wasn't an illegal formation, Belquist and the far right WR were both on the line. Guessing they complaint is that the far guy is about 1/2 yard behind the ball, but his front foot is within the side judge's stance (who's standing on the line). He's also almost a full yard in front of the slot WR. And there was no one in motion (let alone two players). Everyone "set" when they looked over to the sideline and then Tommy called for the snap. Great call by UND.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, jdub27 said:

I've rewatched the throw multiple times trying to figure out what happened. That's just not a throw Tommy makes, ever.

That's where I wish I knew he'd been told it's OK to eat it and take the FG before the play. 

Get the FG there and now the other team is playing from behind in the fourth. 

1 hour ago, UNDColorado said:

Everyone has pretty much touched on what I have to say. I'm just frustrated. I love the way the defense played but the INT and a couple coaching decisions have me frustrated like most of you. On to South Dakota!

If anything, Saturday proved that these programs are competitive with each other for the first time in a long time. And the calls for coaching changes are just emotional reactions immediately after the game. We are going in the right direction. This isn't 2017 and it surely is NOT 2014.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

If anything, Saturday proved that these programs are competitive with each other for the first time in a long time. And the calls for coaching changes are just emotional reactions immediately after the game. We are going in the right direction. This isn't 2017 and it surely is NOT 2014.

I agree with this.

My question is: Is NDSU still the elite FCS team they were in 2017 and 2014?

I didn’t see anything from either team this past Saturday that tells me either will make a deep run in the FCS playoffs. I expect SDSU to beat the snot out of NDSU with the offensive product we put on the field this year. Teams are allowed to get better as the season goes on, so I hope I’m wrong, but our offense looked brutal and it wasn’t all attributable to UND defense, which was solid.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

There’s no need to tell him to do that because he’s typically done that from day one. Very uncharacteristic play by him. Got caught up in the moment.

That's the specific time you need to remind a guy. 

(Remember: I'm the guy that preaches fundamentals. --> Make your free throws. Lay down a bunt. Wrap-up tackle. Lift a backhand top corner from 12 feet.) 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

I agree with this.

My question is: Is NDSU still the elite FCS team they were in 2017 and 2014?

I didn’t see anything from either team this past Saturday that tells me either will make a deep run in the FCS playoffs. I expect SDSU to beat the snot out of NDSU with the offensive product we put on the field this year. Teams are allowed to get better as the season goes on, so I hope I’m wrong, but our offense looked brutal and it wasn’t all attributable to UND defense, which was solid.

That is my question as well. I also think SDSU is going to expose both teams.