SiouxSports.com Forum

2021 Game Day - NDSU vs UND at Alerus Center

BarnWinterSportsEngelstad

12 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Sucks but doesn’t define the season.

Go get wins in Verm, Carbondale, and Springfield this month.

Make the playoffs and make a run.

I feel better about our defense, wish one of those games was at the Alerus.  Next week will be a dog fight.  

2 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

is this game was in fargo it would be 45-6

Really?? and NDSU's line would have magically created holes and protect their QB being 75 miles south of here.  Their line struggled against Albany and today. They just "looked" good against 2 dogsh!@ teams in Valpo and Towson.   Their day of reckoning will come in a few weeks when they travel to Brookings. 

24 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Yep.  Never know, we could face them again before the season’s over. 

IMO it wasn't Danny's play calling that cost us but the personnel for whom he was calling the plays.

Again, the lack of a WR to stretch the field meant that we are going to have lots of 5-7 yard pass plays.

As part of that, the lack of an OLine that can keep a QB on his feet for more than 3 seconds also impacts the play calling. 

We are still a class away from those types of players but... if this is a great Bison team we at least showed we can play with them.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Have to get a win in at least 2 of those 3 road games. 

6 minutes ago, shep said:

IMO it wasn't Danny's play calling that cost us but the personnel for whom he was calling the plays.

Again, the lack of a WR to stretch the field meant that we are going to have lots of 5-7 yard pass plays.

As part of that, the lack of an OLine that can keep a QB on his feet for more than 3 seconds also impacts the play calling. 

We are still a class away from those types of players but... if this is a great Bison team we at least showed we can play with them.

This is far from a great Bison team.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, bincitysioux said:

I didn't like going for it in 4th down from our own 20 yard line, but if they would have converted everyone would be saying Bubba and/or Danny are geniuses with gargantuan testicles.

Defense was so impressive today, really fun to watch.  Holinka had his guys dialed in nicely.

That's why you punt on the 20 with a 1 point lead.

• Upvote 4

Just not a lot of weapons on O and an average OL.  Otis didn't create much today but he didn't have a lot of room - seems like he would do well in space sometimes instead of always going between the tackles.  Maag and Boltman with, what, 1 touch each?  Build the passing around the young WR if those two aren't healthy.  

5 minutes ago, Devils said:

Just not a lot of weapons on O and an average OL.  Otis didn't create much today but he didn't have a lot of room - seems like he would do well in space sometimes instead of always going between the tackles.  Maag and Boltman with, what, 1 touch each?  Build the passing around the young WR if those two aren't healthy.  

I think Wright, Belquist, and Preston are nice players. Need a burner to compliment them though.

2 minutes ago, UND Football Fan said:

4th down call, instead of offense, I would have preferred fake punt because of the element of surprise. We did have the gutsy fake last year against SDSU I believe and that got the team going last Spring.

Agreed! If you’re going to do what they did, at least move fast so they can’t get set. It was almost like we were waiting and asking, “hey, you guys ready if we run up the middle? You sure? Here we come! “

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

I didn't like going for it in 4th down from our own 20 yard line, but if they would have converted everyone would be saying Bubba and/or Danny are geniuses with gargantuan testicles.

Defense was so impressive today, really fun to watch.  Holinka had his guys dialed in nicely.

Facts.  There’s just no pleasing people tbh. 

On the positive side, Bubba has become more aggressive.  Now he just has to pick his spots better.  I would like to see them aggressive on key spots that can turn the game.  Rather than a short pass over the middle that let time expire before half, how about going a little deeper and hope for pass interference.  The wisdom of trying on fourth down when a worse Drake team stuffed you twice on the same play, would lead one to think another play would have been coming.  Even if you make that first down, do you keep being aggressive to make it truly pay off in a momentum switch?  Hard to know.  It seemed if we were aggressive on a trick play on first down that left us behind the chains, we would be conservative on second down and got stuffed.  We have already shown that we still throw short of the chains on 3rd and 6 or 7, just like we would on 3rd and 10, so why not have two passes to make that yardage.  Next step is not having to rely so heavily on trick plays to move the ball against good teams.

4 hours ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Are you disappointed or optimistic after the game today

I guess I am both 

Totally frustrated - we had a good chance of beating the Bison at home and wiping of the smug from their obnoxious fans - then nope, Bubbaed again.  

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Kab said:

This is on bubba

dumb call on 4th down ,you just handed them 3 points

until they get rid of all the motions and gadget plays this is what we will expect, we outsmart ourselves 

schuster should know better than throw that pass 

maag was limping all day, hamstring can’t be good 

I don't understand why he played against Drake.  Seems like they should have shut him down for a good two weeks or so to try and help him recover.  I have a feeling his hammy will be bothering him all year.  Probably a part of why he hasn't done as much lately.  Even now, seems like would be better to shut him down for a while so he can get back to 100%.  Maybe shutting him down for 2 weeks or so to try and heal up wouldn't matter though, I dunno. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

I don't understand why he played against Drake.  Seems like they should have shut him down for a good two weeks or so to try and help him recover.  I have a feeling his hammy will be bothering him all year.  Probably a part of why he hasn't done as much lately.  Even now, seems like would be better to shut him down for a while so he can get back to 100%.  Maybe shutting him down for 2 weeks or so to try and heal up wouldn't matter though, I dunno. 

Totally agree. Playing vs Drake was dumb. Wonder who made that call.