SiouxSports.com Forum

NDSU @ UND.....bout time.

Wilbur

Been looking forward to this game for years.  I was a student the last time NDSU snapped a ball in a game at the Alerus, and one Digger Anderson walked that game off in huge fashion after a great Bison comeback.  

My brother was in the Gold Star band.  My dad and I cheering for the Sioux, my mom and bro the Ag school.  I miss those days when it seemed like the game meant so much more.  Coincidentally that same brother is getting married on game day in LA....sigh....:lol:

Nonetheless its time to put up or shut up for our boys from UND.  They're finally at our place.  Game on.

• Upvote 1

Until proven otherwise, I have to go with NDSU in a blowout. I think this years UND team is really good, that with playing at home it should be competitive, but this is the type of game where UND has fallen flat on their face over and over. Hope I’m proven wrong. 

• Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Been looking forward to this game for years.  I was a student the last time NDSU snapped a ball in a game at the Alerus, and one Digger Anderson walked that game off in huge fashion after a great Bison comeback.  

My brother was in the Gold Star band.  My dad and I cheering for the Sioux, my mom and bro the Ag school.  I miss those days when it seemed like the game meant so much more.  Coincidentally that same brother is getting married on game day in LA....sigh....:lol:

Nonetheless its time to put up or shut up for our boys from UND.  They're finally at our place.  Game on.

Good times! I was a freshman, and playing in UND's marching band in 2003. During the 4th quarter some of us went over and sat with the NDSU band which was kind of fun. All in all, it was a great freshman experience. I still remember the subway commercials leading up to the game (Bohl's buffalo chick vs Lennon's Chicken Teriyaki) :lol:

Can't believe it has been so long since the Bison have played in the Alerus and hoping it picks up right where it left off. Get the crowd into it, and for old times sake, tear the damn goal posts down! Need to win, hopefully make a damn statement! Can't wait! 

2 hours ago, AJS said:

Until proven otherwise, I have to go with NDSU in a blowout. I think this years UND team is really good, that with playing at home it should be competitive, but this is the type of game where UND has fallen flat on their face over and over. Hope I’m proven wrong. 

Completely understand your assessment, BUT we haven't really fall flat on our face at home have we? Not too recently anyway.

CERTAIN (hello Lakes) ndsu fans are encouraging their fans not to show up in GF - GREAT!  This will make their return to the AL more of an embarassment than they every imagined.  What a bunch of pussies!  We don't need them up here anyway - they have the smell of desperation about them this season anyway!

Peace!

I mentioned some of this yesterday in another thread, but much more appropriate here.

It's been 18 years since NDSU has been at the Alerus.
Bison have never beat the SIOUX in the Alerus, slipping in 2001 & 2003.
In fact NDSU hasn't won in GF since 1997, which was at Memorial Stadium.

For the Hawks fans attending that have never been to this Rivalry game, you will be in for a treat.

6 hours ago, gfNDfan said:

CERTAIN (hello Lakes) ndsu fans are encouraging their fans not to show up in GF - GREAT!  This will make their return to the AL more of an embarassment than they every imagined.  What a bunch of pussies!  We don't need them up here anyway - they have the smell of desperation about them this season anyway!

Peace!

Other NDSU fans bought season tickets just so they made sure they had tickets for this game. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, gfNDfan said:

Peace!

It's literally one guy telling people not to go. 

I'm sure there will be a healthy contingent of fans there. Too convenient of a drive and haven't played in GF since '02 or '03... whenever that was. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

I mentioned some of this yesterday in another thread, but much more appropriate here.

It's been 18 years since NDSU has been at the Alerus.
Bison have never beat the SIOUX in the Alerus, slipping in 2001 & 2003.
In fact NDSU hasn't won in GF since 1997, which was at Memorial Stadium.

For the Hawks fans attending that have never been to this Rivalry game, you will be in for a treat.

The Bison will have never beaten the Sioux in the Alerus.  I'll take it.  Then again the Hawks are ofer in Fargo. 

Back in my days, leading up to the game there was a vibe in town, classes were more about the game coming up, had professors who liked to talk about the game,

Frenchys was busier than normal, seemed like there were bands each nite and the peanut bar piano player was probably sick of playing the school song at westward ho.

anyone seeing any excitement in Grand Forks yet, any business having promotions or radio stations?  Or is it wait until next week and maybe an extra article in the herald.

6 minutes ago, Kab said:

Back in my days, leading up to the game there was a vibe in town, classes were more about the game coming up, had professors who liked to talk about the game,

Frenchys was busier than normal, seemed like there were bands each nite and the peanut bar piano player was probably sick of playing the school song at westward ho.

anyone seeing any excitement in Grand Forks yet, any business having promotions or radio stations?  Or is it wait until next week and maybe an extra article in the herald.

Doubt it, but I'm not up there. I would expect it will take a few visits, a few wins, and some crazy games to get the excitement level to where it used to be. UND is doing the right things with recruiting, conference affiliation, winning, playoffs BUT it is hard to overcome what NDSU has done over the past decade. Its a process, but it is on the right trajectory.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Completely understand your assessment, BUT we haven't really fall flat on our face at home have we? Not too recently anyway.

They haven't. It's two completely conflicting scenarios. NDSU to me would be the only team (FCS) that UND could be playing at home, where my confidence level is where it's at. Like I mentioned, it has nothing to do with talent levels. On paper it should be a good game. Until they show up, just once, I can already picture how it's going to start out and play out. Nobody wants to be more wrong than me. 

40 minutes ago, Kab said:

Its next week

12 minutes ago, AJS said:

They haven't. It's two completely conflicting scenarios. NDSU to me would be the only team (FCS) that UND could be playing at home, where my confidence level is where it's at. Like I mentioned, it has nothing to do with talent levels. On paper it should be a good game. Until they show up, just once, I can already picture how it's going to start out and play out. Nobody wants to be more wrong than me. 

Nope, can't argue with your point. I'll take any win in any fashion, BUT it would be just awesome if this was one of those games nobody expected. Dominant on both sides of the ball. Big play. A statement win! .... for the good guys of course.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Nope, can't argue with your point. I'll take any win in any fashion, BUT it would be just awesome if this was one of those games nobody expected. Dominant on both sides of the ball. Big play. A statement win! .... for the good guys of course.

It was 50 years ago, Oct 16th a cold rainy day, and my first game at Dacotah Field.
Bison were ranked #1 in the Nation, hosting us for their Homecoming game.
Sioux dominate in a 23-7 win.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Kab said:

I think those days are done most places in general, might be a product of the modern society.

At NDSU 2010-2015, I dont recall hearing professors mention games, or there being much "talk" or "vibes" on campus prior to big games. People just went to the game.

• Upvote 1

Been rooting for und in this game since the early 60s. I recall a howling north wind on game day 1966. My family, after considerable deliberation, deciding to make the drive from Fargo. Bison won 18-15. I anticipate a similar result, unfortunately.  The Hawks haven't shown the consistency in big games needed in recent years to allow me to predict otherwise.