SiouxSports.com Forum

NDSU @ UND.....bout time.

Wilbur

2 hours ago, AJS said:

They haven't. It's two completely conflicting scenarios. NDSU to me would be the only team (FCS) that UND could be playing at home, where my confidence level is where it's at. Like I mentioned, it has nothing to do with talent levels. On paper it should be a good game. Until they show up, just once, I can already picture how it's going to start out and play out. Nobody wants to be more wrong than me. 

Idaho State

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

What happened to Q again?

Looked like he got his shoulder popped pretty well on his second fumble. Stayed down and held it once he walked off. 

I actually like Boltmann better in the role anyways. He's a significantly better runner, but a slightly worse passer. With how rare Quincy passes anyway, it seems like it would be smarter to have the better runner in there. 

20 minutes ago, Hardcore Hawk said:

Looked like he got his shoulder popped pretty well on his second fumble. Stayed down and held it once he walked off. 

I actually like Boltmann better in the role anyways. He's a significantly better runner, but a slightly worse passer. With how rare Quincy passes anyway, it seems like it would be smarter to have the better runner in there. 

Thats right, I believe it was right after the Canady interception. Had he crossed the line (which I still can't believe he seemed to move towards the defender rather than the pylon), then no fumble and no injury. Hope he is ok.

If we go back to the Spring, there is one thing I would really like to see improve against NDSU. Game plan! UND seemed to have a solid game plan going into most games last spring and this far in the Fall. Against NDSU, we just seemed kind of lost. Hoping to see us dial up some creativity and aggressiveness early.

3 hours ago, Kab said:

You sound like a guy that we could tail gate with and still have some good banter about the game.

good luck with your surgery 

Thanks for the well wishes. Had your basic green light laser surgery to open up the water works, so have to take it easy for a few weeks.

Really going to miss not going to the game. Saw my first NDSU vs UND game in 1972 at Memorial when I was red shirted .  No game is bigger IMO.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Blackheart said:

Did you tell your brother to look for you in the crowd?;)

Initially, then my mother found out.....LA here we come.....:unsure:  Nice part is that people apparently get married at 10 AM in the morning in California, so by the time we get to game time me and my old man should be able to get a stream somehow.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

Initially, then my mother found out.....LA here we come.....:unsure:  Nice part is that people apparently get married at 10 AM in the morning in California, so by the time we get to game time me and my old man should be able to get a stream somehow.  

Hopefully it’s not one of those all day things.  Last wedding I was invited to out there the wedding was at 10 but then the wine train to the reception left at 12 and didn’t come back until 10. 

On 9/21/2021 at 9:09 PM, AJS said:

Until proven otherwise, I have to go with NDSU in a blowout. I think this years UND team is really good, that with playing at home it should be competitive, but this is the type of game where UND has fallen flat on their face over and over. Hope I’m proven wrong. 

Starting to back track on this. I still can't picture UND winning, but I do think it'll be competitive. For me there are two big factors. 

1. Alerus Center. Legitimate home field advantage. Would it be accurate to call it a 10 to 14 point swing from if this game was at the Fargo Dome? Both places give the home team a TD advantage.
  2. UND's Defense. I think they're good. Yes, the same defense that gave up 48 to USU (side note, Air Force gave up 49 the week after, at home. AF only gave up 3 points to Navy the week prior). The NG position will be much stronger than in the Spring when the two teams play. Outside of Haas, I believe they are healthy. Will be interested to know how close to 100% Canady will be by game time. Two games under his belt and a week off.

Even though I can't picture it, on paper I think they should have an Ok shot at knocking them off. Let's put it at a 25 to 30% chance. 

4 minutes ago, AJS said:

Starting to back track on this. I still can't picture UND winning, but I do think it'll be competitive. For me there are two big factors. 

1. Alerus Center. Legitimate home field advantage. Would it be accurate to call it a 10 to 14 point swing from if this game was at the Fargo Dome? Both places give the home team a TD advantage.
  2. UND's Defense. I think they're good. Yes, the same defense that gave up 48 to USU (side note, Air Force gave up 49 the week after, at home. AF only gave up 3 points to Navy the week prior). The NG position will be much stronger than in the Spring when the two teams play. Outside of Haas, I believe they are healthy. Will be interested to know how close to 100% Canady will be by game time. Two games under his belt and a week off.

Even though I can't picture it, on paper I think they should have an Ok shot at knocking them off. Let's put it at a 25 to 30% chance. 

I think these are all good points/questions.  I definitely think it is a 10 to 14 point swing.  It seems that the team is more confident in Alerus.  I think the crowd should be rocking which will give the team some juice and hopefully give NDSU some issues with noise (crossing my fingers). 

Utah St. is going to have a good year.  They will probably end up 9-3 or 10-2 so that won't be a bad loss at the end of the year.  Blake Anderson is from the Art Briles coaching tree (Baylor staff for 2-3 years).  That is where I went to school so I followed them greatly.  It is a difficult offense to defend especially when they have good athletes in it.  NDSU's offense is totally different from Utah St.'s offense.  

The main question is can we stop the run?  If we can stop their run consistently and make them throw for first downs I think we will win.  We definitely have more beef up front this year at NG.  We have 3 guys that they can rotate at almost 300 pounds.  Can our LB's hold up against the pulling guards/tackle/TE?  I think their new qb is good but he isn't Lantz.  

I hope our crowd is loud and proud!  I assume it will be since it has been 18 years since the last home game vs NDSU.  I had trouble finding a hotel room so I assume a lot of fans are coming from out of town!  Hpefully UND fans.

5 minutes ago, FlinFlan80 said:

Is anyone else worried that the NDSU herd will take over the Alerus and give them the home field advantage or am I the only negative one here.....?

Not alone on that thought. I'm excited for the game, but nervous about how the crowd is split in regards to number of UND to NDSU fans.

6 minutes ago, FlinFlan80 said:

Is anyone else worried that the NDSU herd will take over the Alerus and give them the home field advantage or am I the only negative one here.....?

I'll say at worst 75/25, but more likely in the 80/20 to 85/15. What % would season ticket holders / students account for? I got tickets right away with the CC and there weren't that many tickets available. My guess will be 85/15. 

1 minute ago, AJS said:

I'll say at worst 75/25, but more likely in the 80/20 to 85/15. What % would season ticket holders / students account for? I got tickets right away with the CC and there weren't that many tickets available. My guess will be 85/15. 

I hope your right. I'll tip my cap to the Bison in that regard. Their fans are compared to the likes of UND hockey

39 minutes ago, AJS said:

I don't care what people say, that Utah State team has some dudes on offense.  The entire second half our defense kept taking punches from them with our offense doing nothing.  Eventually you can only take on so much water before the boat goes down.

We've done little recently to put any pressure on NDSU QB's of recent like Wentz, Lance, and Miller/can't remember other guy last season.  If the defense and the crowd can get into the mind of Patterson just a bit we've got a great chance.  

• Upvote 1