SiouxSports.com Forum

Why couldn't UND have a logo like this

cberkas

31 minutes ago, cberkas said:

I like the new Portland Winterhawks logo

This is what UND should have done, but no they didn't

Because we don't have mountains.;)

Other than that, there's nothing to distinguish their bird from most anyone else's bird.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Because people were gullible enough to think that we would end up with a logo like this (see below) when choosing the new nickname.  Voters who picked the current nickname are to blame for the current logo, because they picked one of the most generic and overused nicknames in the country.  Logos like the one you show here are a dime a dozen - at least the current und logo is unique, in comparison to other bird logos.  Also, whichever logo UND went with was going to be compared to the old Sioux logo - people would have hated the portland winterhawk logo as well. imo

fighting sioux logo artist - ZoneAlarm Results

You also forget it had the word "fighting" in front of it. 

43 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Because people were gullible enough to think that we would end up with a logo like this (see below) when choosing the new nickname.  Voters who picked the current nickname are to blame for the current logo, because they picked one of the most generic and overused nicknames in the country.  Logos like the one you show here are a dime a dozen - at least the current und logo is unique, in comparison to other bird logos.  Also, whichever logo UND went with was going to be compared to the old Sioux logo - people would have hated the portland winterhawk logo as well. imo

This was out there during the time of the vote too. 

7461D193-B1DB-40BD-9B85-6D791E5010B7.jpeg

• Upvote 3

How About We Keeps Sioux - doesn't resonate with you after several years (or ever for that matter)!  Who would have thought?  So many better options - ughh "Hawks".....   the students failed big time. 

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

I’m not convinced it wasn’t rigged. Ridiculous that Hawks one. Whatever I accept it now. 

If it it was rigged, Hawks wouldn't have won. The bigger problem was the consultants and their galaxy brain discovery of urban dictionary during the review phase.

Whatver, what's done is done.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Not going to re-do the math but just a reminder that our logo was picked by about 8% of the vote

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

I’m not convinced it wasn’t rigged. Ridiculous that Hawks one. Whatever I accept it now. 

It was rigged in the sense that all of the good names were eliminated before the public vote. Hawks came out as the consensus vote. Using "Fighting" and the How About We Keep Sioux probably helped push it over the top. 

The logo has grown on me a bit, but I'll be happy when they finally change it (whenever that may be).

15 minutes ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

It was rigged in the sense that all of the good names were eliminated before the public vote. Hawks came out as the consensus vote. Using "Fighting" and the How About We Keep Sioux probably helped push it over the top. 

The logo has grown on me a bit, but I'll be happy when they finally change it (whenever that may be).

This, when you leave the President of a Major Sports Franchise speechless - you know the fix was in..  no good names were making it out of the screening process.

1 hour ago, 90siouxfan said:

I think the current logo is a sacrificial lamb...   Knowing the hatred and rejection that would be given to any logo, this is destined to take the abuse, then be moved to a secondary logo when a bit better logo makes its appearance.  

????? :D

9FE7C014-4EF8-418A-B5D7-D1DD0F17A5C5.jpeg

5 hours ago, FSSD said:

This, when you leave the President of a Major Sports Franchise speechless - you know the fix was in..  no good names were making it out of the screening process.

Roughriders was a great name.  Actually, great might be pushing it, but it was still 10x better than Fighting Hawks.  I've come to accept it though and happily cheer our teams on under the official moniker.

17 hours ago, FSSD said:

How About We Keeps Sioux - doesn't resonate with you after several years (or ever for that matter)!  Who would have thought?  So many better options - ughh "Hawks".....   the students failed big time. 

Committee failed big time.  To have a certain criteria and to come up with one of the most generic names really makes me wonder why you set criteria to begin with. 

• Upvote 2