SiouxSports.com Forum

2021-2022 football season

Nodak78

7 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

If those were the only two highlights you took out of this whole season, your whole attitude about the program makes a lot more sense now.

I'm on the same page as you with @Midwestern Hawk overall attitude, but to his defense, if you're really talking highlights, how many were there really? 

3 hours ago, jdub27 said:

If those were the only two highlights you took out of this whole season, your whole attitude about the program makes a lot more sense now.

8 years in, I'm no longer willing to accept, "we were close" or "the guys played hard", when 2 of our 3 biggest rivals are still playing.  The games vs NDSU and SDSU were very winnable. 

I guess I overlooked our wins...

Beat IdSU(1-10), Drake(2-9), WIU(2-9), IllSU(4-7), & YSU(3-7)...a combined 12-42.  Which other highlights from this fall did I overlook? 

Again after 8 years, "quality losses" are no longer acceptable.  Ask yourself, am I being negative or just realistic and what are your expectations?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

8 years in, I'm no longer willing to accept, "we were close" or "the guys played hard", when 2 of our 3 biggest rivals are still playing.  The games vs NDSU and SDSU were very winnable. 

Beat IdSU(1-10), Drake(2-9), WIU(2-9), IllSU(4-7), & YSU(3-7)...a combined 12-42.  Which other highlights from this fall did I overlook? 

Again after 8 years, "quality losses" are no longer acceptable.  Ask yourself, am I being negative or just realistic and what are your expectations?

You're a winner.  

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

I'd be down on Midwestern Hawk if they were just bemoaning to bemoan, but they are pointing to real, tangible items (above, play calls, clock management issue) sitting in the room beside the elephant and the 800 pound gorilla. 

19 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Eight years in!?  Oh, the agony. LOL!  Realistic isn't fun on a fan board. Try being a fan once in a while instead of a dispassionate analyst.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

Eight years in!?  Oh, the agony. LOL!  Realistic isn't fun on a fan board. Trying being a fan once in a while instead of a dispassionate analyst.

Like Sic said.. some of your points are awesome. Just sprinkle it in with some fun stuff so we don't always give the opposing fan bases the schadenfreude they're lurking here for.

5 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

He demands excellence.  The Ricky Bobby of our fan base. 

I get it. Really we all do.  We're just not willing to sh!t as easily on the team we consider like family.  It's like I can talk smack about my brother but if you do... .we are going to tango. They (the "realistic" analyst types) just don't seem to have that family mentality... more like an outsider looking in.... so it rubs folks the wrong way. Anyway to each their own, I guess. Just my 2 cent.

• Upvote 4

On 5/15/2021 at 6:13 AM, Midwestern Hawk said:

The national championships, P5 victories and high draft choices  have given NDSU a national name brand.  Obviously it’s not in same level as P5 heavyweights, but it’s impressive nonetheless.;

As for UND football and the university, the window is open now. Bubba ad the boys need to step through it, and the success this spring season will be foundational.

Here is my first post on this thread.  IMO, this fall was our chance, Bubba's chance, UND's chance to take it to the next level.  We pissed that chance down our collective leg, and I am just not over it yet. I will still write my checks, buy my season tickets, and hopefully get over it soon.   

I just think the future for UND football is now really cloudy.

• Upvote 1

Me, Nashville, Bridgestone Arena, October 30, 6:30 pm:

I scroll my Twitter feed to find how UND FB did that day. I see a tweet about a lead (28-17) in the fourth. I joke with the person beside me that that scares me.

Scroll. 28-25 UND.

Scroll. Other team with ball at UND goal line.

Scroll. 32-28 UND loses. 

That's when I knew it was time to view this team solely based on performance and not people and personalities. 

Is the performance, from the water boy to the four-deep roster to the staff, meeting performance expectations, measured not by the "who", but by the "do". 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, The Sicatoka said:

Me, Nashville, Bridgestone Arena, October 30, 6:30 pm:

I scroll my Twitter feed to find how UND FB did that day. I see a tweet about a lead (28-17) in the fourth. I joke with the person beside me that that scares me.

Scroll. 28-25 UND.

Scroll. Other team with ball at UND goal line.

32-28 UND loses. 

That's when I knew it was time to view this team solely based on performance and not people and personalities. 

We all agree, I think. But even you point out the positive when it's warranted. 

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

Like Sic said.. some of your points are awesome. Just sprinkle it in with some fun stuff so we don't always give the opposing fan bases the schadenfreude they're lurking here for.

I reply just to give you major props for using “schadenfreude” on this site!

Saw that I will have joined SiouxSports   15 years on December 30th.

have enjoyed the site as we celebrate and are disappointed. 

would rather win than lose. Trying to enjoy the journey - not always easy and I haven’t always enjoyed 

not smart enough to have answers to our problems. I am burdened by not seeing black and white on issues   

carry on

• Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Weltanschuung?

Schadenfreude. 

The two best words in the German language end up forming a perfect question and answer. :) 

I like these 2 words. For me, the USD game…row 12 …. 50 yard line… no high 5s or slaps on the back….not negative juju…just apathy…everyone! 
Hard to point to one person about this, IMHO

2 hours ago, Teeder11 said:

I get it. Really we all do.  We're just not willing to sh!t as easily on the team we consider like family.  It's like I can talk smack about my brother but if you do... .we are going to tango. They (the "realistic" analyst types) just don't seem to have that family mentality... more like an outsider looking in.... so it rubs folks the wrong way. Anyway to each their own, I guess. Just my 2 cent.

I totally agree and I almost posted something like this analogy a while back.  Believe me I can be Plenty negative, and am sometimes, and I get very pissed off and frustrated with coaches and play calls sometimes etc., and I'd probably say more negative things than I do on here at times......kinda like you are saying, I can talk crap against UND football at times like I would against my brother, but I rarely have to because a few others are usually doing it weekly, that I tend to fight all the negative talk, even though some of it I agree with and is legit and warranted.   So that is why I fight negative commenters sometimes, it's not that I don't have high expectations. 

I will say though.....during the heat of the game, I'd throw my mother under the bus momentarily if she made a huge mistake :D  But 5 minutes after the game I'd feel bad for my comment and forgive her.  For the most part I think most comments during the game or within an hour or so of a tough/bad loss you almost have to throw out the window as people are too emotional, including myself. 

• Upvote 2

On 11/24/2021 at 8:08 AM, Midwestern Hawk said:

Here is the 2-deep from SDSU:  In BOLD are the guys who are gone as of right now, either eligibility is up or portal.  Krzanowksi is coming back as is Maag.  Anyone have any info on Jalen Morrison or Noah Larson?  As of right now the offense comes back almost intact besides Waletzko.

DEFENSE

Defensive End 49 Ben McNaboe 88 Luke Lennon

Nose Tackle 0 Jalen Morrison 52 Chandon Pierre

Defensive End 51 Quintin Seguin 93 Elijah Beach

Outside Linebacker 19 Ty Shannon 34 Josh Navratil

Inside Linebacker 44 Devon Krzanowski 10 Caden White

Inside Linebacker 40 Noah Larson 42 Kason Kelley

Outside Linebacker 15 Jaxson Turner 9 Marcus Vaughn-Jones

Cornerback 6 Evan Holm 22 Caleb Nelson

Safety 17 Hayden Galvin 24 Kadon Kauppinen

Safety 25 Jordan Canady 11 Jayson Coley

Cornerback 3 C.J. Siegel 23 Sam Robertson

OFFENSE

Tight End 39 Adam Zavalney 81 Billy Riviere

Left Tackle 72 Colin Lavell 73 Jack Kuntz

Left Guard 78 Ben Christian 67 Andrew Fenton

Center 68 Babak Ghadaksaz 79 Peyton Lotysz

Right Guard 77 Easton Kilty 67 Andrew Fenton

Right Tackle 74 Donny Ventrelli 75 Sam Hagen

Wide Receiver 89 Garett Maag 1 Bo Belquist

Wide Receiver 1 Bo Belquist 5 Jake Richter

Wide Receiver 12 Marcus Preston 4 Brock Boltmann

Quarterback 2 Tommy Schuster 14 Quincy Vaughn

Running Back 26 Otis Weah 7 Luke Skokna

SPECIALS

Punter 87 Cade Peterson 45 Adam Stage 37 Sean Fenelon

Kicker 92 Brady Stevens 45 Adam Stage 37 Sean Fenelon

Holder 87 Cade Peterson 37 Sean Fenelon

Long Snapper 96 Ross Hinders 32 Dylan Boecker

Kickoff Returners 7 Luke Skokna 6 Evan Holm

Punt Returners 7 Luke Skokna 12 Marcus Preston

Here is updated 2 -deep from the SDSU game.  Canady, Turner, Larson, Holm and Galvin especially started a ton of games for us over the last 4-5 years.  Need some guys to really step up this spring and next fall.

• 3 weeks later...

I did some digging on our 2021 opponents final records today.   

Teams that UND beat finished 12-41.   Games played: 5

Teams that beat UND finished 58-22 (not counting one more game for NDSU).   Games played: 6

Frustrating that the teams we beat only managed 12 combined wins.   I'm not trying to be Debby Downer here but the difference in records is glaring.