SiouxSports.com Forum

2021-22 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

On 3/13/2022 at 9:43 PM, Blackheart said:

So that appears to be the end opposite of the Zamboni door.  Hmm.

Has anyone determined which end UND shoots twice at for sure.  I talked to the Ralph ticket office and the lady told me the end of section 118, but it says in the email that is the UND section, and they often put that on the end where the home team goalie is.  Any information would be appreciated. 

1 minute ago, brianvf said:

I know he's not coming back for another year...but geez if he's injured this frequently playing against collegiate athletes, what's going to happen when he's playing against bigger/stronger/faster players in the NHL?

Tyson Jost on line one, Jake. 

We know what'll happen against bigger, stronger, faster players. See: Beijing. 

Trying to find a positive is that UND has done well without his services this year. I guess couple positives are that UND has experience without their star player for a majority of the second half, was quite successful, and already have a NCAA spot locked up. The listing of week-to-week tells me that regionals likely aren't going to happen. At least the younger D-Men have already gained plenty of valuable experience against high quality teams.  

1 hour ago, brianvf said:

I know he's not coming back for another year...but geez if he's injured this frequently playing against collegiate athletes, what's going to happen when he's playing against bigger/stronger/faster players in the NHL?

I think the absence earlier in the year was for illness.  That means his first injury was in the Olympics, and the second was not so much due to bigger, faster opponents, but a fluky result of his late game swan dive. 

Edit: I think I'm wrong and there was a late first half injury as well. 

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

No Kleven
No Sanderson
Against the biggest team in the NCHC Friday. 

Johnson, Bast, and Ferner had best be ready. 

Sure am glad they made hay when the sun was shining and have PWR no worse than 8 locked up. 

Kleven is a +16 which is tops on the team by a pretty good margin and last weekend was the first time he had been on ice for an even strength goal against in 14-15 games. 

Jandric and Frisch are going to log some heavy minutes on Friday.

18 minutes ago, Und246 said:

I would think Sanderson  would be back next year. I wouldn’t think a pro team would want to start paying him since he gets hurt every week. 

He's gone for sure.  The Sens GM (?) tweeted that he would be in Ottawa the second that UND's season was over.

4 minutes ago, brianvf said:

He's gone for sure.  The Sens GM (?) tweeted that he would be in Ottawa the second that UND's season was over.

In a walking boot or an arm sling or both??

He's the best D I've seen at UND (missed Patrick, but since 83 anyway) and it's not close.  I think he's going to be a great pro as well.  Its very unfortunate that he's missed so much of the year, but he chose to come back to have a great year at UND when he could have very easily stepped into a top 4 role and big paychecks.  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, jk said:

He's the best D I've seen at UND (missed Patrick, but since 83 anyway) and it's not close.  I think he's going to be a great pro as well.  Its very unfortunate that he's missed so much of the year, but he chose to come back to have a great year at UND when he could have very easily stepped into a top 4 role and big paychecks.  

I watched James Patrick many times, and with all due respect to him, Sanderson is the most talented D man I have ever seen at UND. We are very fortunate to have him. 

2 hours ago, brianvf said:

He got hit by a professional in the Olympics and had his hand cut by a skate. C'mon.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, skateshattrick said:

I watched James Patrick many times, and with all due respect to him, Sanderson is the most talented D man I have ever seen at UND. We are very fortunate to have him. 

Between World Juniors, Olympics, and injury/sickness, this year has been disappointing in the aspect of being able to see your best player on the ice.  I vote he sticks around another year.:D

2 hours ago, skateshattrick said:

I watched him a lot also.   Reminiscing about my favorite James Patrick memory.   Setting:  Williams Arena 12/3/82.  Tie game Sioux-Gophers 1:30 left, when a fracas breaks out.  Somehow, and I'm still puzzled how, its 3x3 for 2 minutes then Minnesota gets a 5x3 for 3 minutes.  Patrick plucks a rebound off Jon Casey's pad, skates around various defenders and then the goalie, and makes scoring the goal look easy for a 5-4 lead.  And plays the last minute when Minnesota pulls its goalie and somehow UND pulls out the W.  

What made it so stunning is that he didn't typically rush the puck a lot; he was superb at reading plays, getting the turnover, and getting the puck up to forwards.  For his day, his skating was exceptionally strong and agile.  

Another tribute to the talent on that 1982-1983 SIoux team is that Canada picked FOUR UND players for their National team to train for the Olympics.  Nowadays, its headline news up there if even ONE NCAA player gets picked for a national team.

Patrick won an NCAA title ... so ask me again in a month after we win this year's NCAA.

I'd have a hard time picking Sanderson over Patrick.  

• Upvote 1