SiouxSports.com Forum

2021-22 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

***** Bold prediction *****

Frisch plays 30+ minutes a night....has a 4 point weekend....leads UND to NCHC tournament championship.

......and stoney still votes Sanderson to the All Tournament team over Ethan.

37 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

I say let’s not second guess Sanderson - surprised that some are - he could leave any time but he stayed - really this guy is on our side

let’s hope he plays some more here - sweet if it was in the final four

Totally agree with you.

5 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

***** Bold prediction *****

Frisch plays 30+ minutes a night....has a 4 point weekend....leads UND to NCHC tournament championship.

......and stoney still votes Sanderson to the All Tournament team over Ethan.

Adorable.

28 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

How’s his hand gonna hold up to nhl skates if he’s getting cut by college skates? And what about nhl Covid? Going to be seeing bigger,faster Covid. Need to stick around UND to work on his immune system

Pure insanity how anyone could think this kid is injury prone. Blows my mind. Didn't expect this response to his injury today, but I should have seen it coming. 

We've got people on here scorning Sandy for, well essentially, trying to save the puck from going into the net to tie a playoff game. 

The mental gymnastics...

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

He got hit by a professional in the Olympics and had his hand cut by a skate. C'mon.

Yeah, the NHL has a few professionals as well, I've heard.  Sounds like he might want to stay away from them for at least another year and toughen up in the NCHC.  ;) :) 

Sanderson has already missed 14 games this season — two due to an illness in November, two due to an injury in December, four due to the Olympic Games in February and six due to an injury he suffered at the Olympics.

The kid has massive talent and it's evident every time he hits the ice.  I just wish we could have seen him on the ice more this season.

Just now, brianvf said:

Yeah, the NHL has a few professionals as well, I've heard.  Sounds like he might want to stay away from them for at least another year and toughen up in the NCHC.  ;) :) 

The kid has massive talent and it's evident every time he hits the ice.  I just wish we could have seen him on the ice more this season.

People blaming this kid for getting hurt and then basically saying he shouldn't go to the NHL (you look like you're kidding about it, but not others) because of being injury prone are mental. We all wanted to see him more, but it's pretty effing gross to say any of these injuries suggests negatively on his level of commitment or his future prospects in the NHL. Would love ANY one here to saw this garbage to his face. It's clown stuff.

Why do we do this crap? It's gross.

4 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Pure insanity how anyone could think this kid is injury prone. Blows my mind. Didn't expect this response to his injury today, but I should have seen it coming. 

I wouldn't say he's injury prone, but his lack of luck (or whatever you want to call it) is crazy this season.
Three separate unrelated injuries and an illness in one 30(ish) game season.  As I said earlier, I'm more just bummed that we missed out on seeing him on the ice more in his final season in a UND sweater.  He's a special talent...it's rare that those players choose college hockey and even more rare that we see them for our home team.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, brianvf said:

I wouldn't say he's injury prone, but his lack of luck (or whatever you want to call it) is crazy this season.
Three separate unrelated injuries and an illness in one 30(ish) game season.  As I said earlier, I'm more just bummed that we missed out on seeing him on the ice more in his final season in a UND sweater.  He's a special talent...it's rare that those players choose college hockey and even more rare that we see them for our home team.

THIS is the rational emotion that we should all have. We're bummed to see such awful luck for him. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, siouxforce19 said:

I am well aware that Sanderson is the best player on the team.

But I find this excessive media- induced freak out over his absence throughout the last couple months to be annoying. 

Yeah it sucks but UND has been managing without him as best they can. 

11-3 without him. We'll be aight. But, I do want him here lol.

3 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

We all wanted to see him more, but it's pretty effing gross to say any of these injuries suggests negatively on his level of commitment or his future prospects in the NHL.

Was that on here?  Or elsewhere? 
My comments are more in jest (I was a sarcasm major) and maybe wishing he'd stick around one more year (we can dream, right?).  :D

I think his commitment to this team was evident in the video showing what caused the injury against CC.  You can see him diving across the crease into a pile of skates and players to try to keep the tying goal out of the net.  Someone posted it on Twitter.  I think that speaks to his level of commitment to this team, for sure.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

But I find this excessive media- induced freak out over his absence throughout the last couple months to be annoying. 

It's like when Chay Genoway got injured and missed a ton of games (forget which season) and everyone posted nonstop in the Schloss game chats asking when he was returning.  For like two seasons after that, I jokingly commented on those game chats asking Schloss for a Genoway injury update.  ;)  :)

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

My concerns aren't media induced, they're straight from my own head.  When Frisch and Sanderson were out, the prospect of adding them back for 25 minutes meant setting Kleven and Jandric up to dominate in their reduced minutes, and helping Moore and Bast hold their own, and putting the fourth pair on the shelf.  

All is not lost, but beating a bunch a good teams in a row, no losses allowed, will be tough without him. They've proven they can win games, but they'll have to be close to flawless to beat some of these arguably more talented opponents in the big tourney. 

2 hours ago, brianvf said:

Yeah, there aren’t nearly as many memories of Sanderson as there are of past players through no fault of his own.  Hopefully he has some memorable important games down the stretch, but there haven’t been many big games he has played in to create indelible memories save for maybe against the gophers and Duluth at the regionals, and that’s something you want to forget.

43 minutes ago, tnt said:

Yeah, there aren’t nearly as many memories of Sanderson as there are of past players through no fault of his own.  Hopefully he has some memorable important games down the stretch, but there haven’t been many big games he has played in to create indelible memories save for maybe against the gophers and Duluth at the regionals, and that’s something you want to forget.

Geez, didn't he hit like 3 pipes himself in that UMD regional game last year?  Man, he took that game over.

1 hour ago, brianvf said:

Geez, didn't he hit like 3 pipes himself in that UMD regional game last year?  Man, he took that game over.

Well all I can say is it’s a good thing the puck didn’t bounce back and hit him or he might have gotten a bruise, further complicated by a MRSA infection that put him in a hospital where he might fall out of bed and break his leg! I’m KIDDING! Love the kid and anyone not being sarcastic about our little fella should be tied to one of the goalposts during ‘one timer practice’

• Like 1

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2022/03/snapshots-kubalik-giordano-sanderson.html#comments

Jake Sanderson was expected to join the Ottawa Senators after his college career ended, but the young defenseman has suffered another injury that could potentially jeopardize that. Brad Elliott Schlossman of the Grand Forks Herald reports that Sanderson will miss the NCHC Frozen Faceoff and is out week-to-week with this new issue. Bruce Garrioch of Postmedia adds that the Senators’ medical staff has reached out to the University of North Dakota staff to get a full report and there is some concern that he could be out “a while.” Sanderson was limited to just 23 games for UND this season, while missing time at both the World Juniors (which was eventually canceled) and the Olympics (in which he played just one game because of COVID and injury issues).

Massive obvious talent: check
Young, even for college: check
Makes college opponents look foolish at times: check

But as Keith "Jonesy" Jones said on NHL on TNT broadcast last night:
"Some players would benefit to stay another year in college ... Tyson Jost ... " 

I do not want to see Sanderson end up like Jost where it's obvious another year (to let the maturing natural male testosterone build out the frame*) in college would've been of benefit. 

If Sanderson is ready, skills, and physically, so be it. 

*Reality: There is a difference between an 18 and a 22 year old male. That difference is testosterone building out the frame. 

13 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Massive obvious talent: check
Young, even for college: check
Makes college opponents look foolish at times: check

But as Keith "Jonesy" Jones said on NHL on TNT broadcast last night:
"Some players would benefit to stay another year in college ... Tyson Jost ... " 

I do not want to see Sanderson end up like Jost where it's obvious another year (to let the maturing natural male testosterone build out the frame*) in college would've been of benefit. 

If Sanderson is ready, skills, and physically, so be it. 

*Reality: There is a difference between an 18 and a 22 year old male. That difference is testosterone building out the frame. 

Was anyone wondering if he wasn't before his hand got cut open by a skate on a freak play? Not that I've seen. So, what changed?