SiouxSports.com Forum

2021-22 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

28 minutes ago, BusinessSoot said:

ZERO on this forum expected anything but a .500 season or less.

Name the last Sioux team to overcome this much roster turnover, as many injuries and adversity... I would argue there isn't one that checks all those boxes in Sioux history.

Zero?  Man, I'd say that's pretty far off.  Many on this forum (and elsewhere) expected this team to be decent...maybe not title contenders due to all their losses, but certainly not .500 or less.

That's easy to pick the last Sioux team to overcome a big roster turnover and dealt with a ton of injuries.
The 2011/12 team, no question.
The season before 2010/11 was one of the best recent Sioux teams (Frattin's senior year) that was a favorite to win the title before the little goalie from Michigan stole a game from them in the regional final.  That offseason, they lost Hextall, Marto, Malone, Frattin, Trupp, Davidson, Cichy, Genoway, and LaPoint.
Entering the 11/12 season, UND's star recruit Grimaldi was injured and only played 4 games all season.  By New Year's they were barely a .500 team.
Then the injuries starting piling up and they played most games in the 2nd half without even a full roster, but still went on a run to win the Final Five (Timeout Game, anyone?).  They ended up falling in the regional final.

53 minutes ago, BusinessSoot said:

Have watched/read this forum from a far for a very long time, but come on.......What about the rest of the guys who have stepped up time after time after time? Everyone cracks me up. Sanderson this/that, Sanderson should do this/that...this player sucks, this player needs to get a clue etc. EVERYONE take a step back and enjoy what these kids/team/coaching staff have accomplished thus far (including Sanderson). ZERO on this forum expected anything but a .500 season or less. The comments on this board are hilarious 80% of the time. Most posting on here can't even skate, let alone judge a group of Sioux players. Name the last Sioux team to overcome this much roster turnover, as many injuries and adversity... I would argue there isn't one that checks all those boxes in Sioux history.

Everyone take a deep breath and enjoy what we have been given to witness so far this year. Remember, 14 new faces, a top player leaving on the first day of school and the countless ups and downs have lead us all to this point, including a first place spot at Xmas break. But then in January,  most wanted a new coach, play the back up goalie, send  this kid and that kid packing etc. Give me a freaking break.

Regardless what happens the next three weeks, this team will go down as one of my favorites in recent memory, if not ever in my 9 years attending games. This is my opinion.

A tinge of disappointment there?   

Berry wins COTY.  Ford wins DFOTY, Frisch wins DDOTY.

Fanti well deserving of the goaltender honor.  Had a great year for the Dawgs, congrats to him.  My heart goes out to Driscoll though because he is the reason UND shared the league title with Denver.  The goaltending UND got down the stretch was incredible. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

Fanti well deserving of the goaltender honor.  Had a great year for the Dawgs, congrats to him.  My heart goes out to Driscoll though because he is the reason UND shared the league title with Denver.  The goaltending UND got down the stretch was incredible. 

And Senden won the NCHC Sportsmanship Award too. 
Congrats to Berry, Ford, Frisch, and Senden!

8 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Driscoll carried this team after the Cornell series.

Frisch might be the most undervalued and underapprecited player at UND in a couple decades. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, brianvf said:

And Senden won the NCHC Sportsmanship Award too. 
Congrats to Berry, Ford, Frisch, and Senden!

They had to give it to him because what guy gets engaged in college while being on the most popular sports team in town?  

"Hey ladies.....yeah I'm the captain... ohh sorry I'm engaged"

11 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Frisch might be the most undervalued and underapprecited player at UND in a couple decades. 

Really hope he sticks around for another year.  Could see him getting some decent interest, for sure.

8 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

They had to give it to him because what guy gets engaged in college while being on the most popular sports team in town?  

"Hey ladies.....yeah I'm the captain... ohh sorry I'm engaged"

Maybe they have an open relationship?  ;)  :D  

19 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

https://www.uscho.com/2022/03/17/this-week-in-nchc-hockey-elite-goaltender-driscoll-has-north-dakota-embracing-these-games-and-embracing-playing-in-these-big-moments/

“How he’s playing right now, it’s up there with the top guys that I’ve seen in our program,” said Karl Goehring, a former UND goaltender who led the program to a national championship in 2000. He now serves as an assistant under coach Brad Berry.

“(Driscoll) has found another level in his game, and it’s been fun to watch him elevate. He has had a fantastic collegiate career and has shown flashes of why he has been an elite goaltender, but for me, it’s his compete in this last little stretch. It’s his urgency on pucks and his ability to scramble and find saves where you feel like he might have been out of the play, but he finds his way back in.”

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

I'm guilty of this re: Frisch. Saw a few games this year and paid attention to Sanderson and Kleven (for different reasons) but did NOT pay attention to Frisch until the very end of the season.

14 minutes ago, ND_Texan said:

What’s Kkeven’s injury and status?

Kleven isn't injured (that I know of), but he has to sit out against WMU for a one-game suspension due to his CFB major at the end of Saturday's CC game.
If UND wins against WMU, he can play in the championship game.

7 hours ago, BusinessSoot said:

Have watched/read this forum from a far for a very long time, but come on.......What about the rest of the guys who have stepped up time after time after time? Everyone cracks me up. Sanderson this/that, Sanderson should do this/that...this player sucks, this player needs to get a clue etc. EVERYONE take a step back and enjoy what these kids/team/coaching staff have accomplished thus far (including Sanderson). ZERO on this forum expected anything but a .500 season or less. The comments on this board are hilarious 80% of the time. Most posting on here can't even skate, let alone judge a group of Sioux players. Name the last Sioux team to overcome this much roster turnover, as many injuries and adversity... I would argue there isn't one that checks all those boxes in Sioux history.

Everyone take a deep breath and enjoy what we have been given to witness so far this year. Remember, 14 new faces, a top player leaving on the first day of school and the countless ups and downs have lead us all to this point, including a first place spot at Xmas break. But then in January,  most wanted a new coach, play the back up goalie, send  this kid and that kid packing etc. Give me a freaking break.

Regardless what happens the next three weeks, this team will go down as one of my favorites in recent memory, if not ever in my 9 years attending games. This is my opinion.

Not knocking any other player on the team, love watching this team and yes they have exceeded expectations. All I'm saying it's not every year we have a talent like Sanderson.

14 hours ago, brianvf said:

That's easy to pick the last Sioux team to overcome a big roster turnover and dealt with a ton of injuries.

Before that? 

We were too in awe of the new house to notice, but the team in the brand new REA (2001-02) had turnover and injury also. 

13 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

I'm hoping he sees Kierstad and the model to follow. 

12 hours ago, shep said:

I'm guilty of this re: Frisch. Saw a few games this year and paid attention to Sanderson and Kleven (for different reasons) but did NOT pay attention to Frisch until the very end of the season.

Everyone remembers Paul Coffey.
Few remember Charlie Huddy, who played defense (mostly alone) so well that it allowed Coffey to be Coffey. 

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/coffey-huddy-were-a-dream-team-for-edmonton-oilers-during-teams-stanley-cup-glory-years 

Frisch's secret? Watch his skating. Between aunts who are skating coaches and the Moorhead youth program and his uncle Ryan (SCSU) and hanging around Ryan's buddy Matt Cullen, they all got him strong on his skates. The highlight they use in pregame where he is going to the corner and shrugs a checker off the back of his left shoulder can only be done if you have massive strength on your skates. 

16 hours ago, brianvf said:

Zero?  Man, I'd say that's pretty far off.  Many on this forum (and elsewhere) expected this team to be decent...maybe not title contenders due to all their losses, but certainly not .500 or less.

The season before 2010/11 was one of the best recent Sioux teams (Frattin's senior year) that was a favorite to win the title before the little goalie from Michigan stole a game from them in the regional final.  That offseason, they lost Hextall, Marto, Malone, Frattin, Trupp, Davidson, Cichy, Genoway, and LaPoint.
Entering the 11/12 season, UND's star recruit Grimaldi was injured and only played 4 games all season.  By New Year's they were barely a .500 team.
Then the injuries starting piling up and they played most games in the 2nd half without even a full roster, but still went on a run to win the Final Five (Timeout Game, anyone?).  They ended up falling in the regional final.

Not to mention the players that were filling that lineup card in 2011-12 were 3 walk-ons not expected to play much if at all (Pattyn, Gaarder, Senkbeil) a D playing third line forward (Gleason) and a fourth line made up of two walk-ons (again Gaarder and Senkbeil) with another forward double shifting (often Nelson) just to round out the line. For that team to do what it did was just amazing. 

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, BusinessSoot said:

North Dakota could suit up a group of 21 mannequins and nothing less than a national title would would be a failure.  Coach Berry has won 3 consecutive NCHC coach of the year awards but if a national title is not won people will question him and may even call for his firing.  Tale this forum with a grain of salt.

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Before that? 

We were too in awe of the new house to notice, but the team in the brand new REA (2001-02) had turnover and injury also. 

If I recall correctly, which is getting a little hazy, there were 8 freshman on that team. Bochenski was one of them. First year in quite a while that the Sioux didn't make the NCAA tournament. Was a tough year. The following year they got it back together and made the tournament. I think that was Parise's freshman year.

1 hour ago, 1966guy said:

North Dakota could suit up a group of 21 mannequins and nothing less than a national title would would be a failure.  Coach Berry has won 3 consecutive NCHC coach of the year awards but if a national title is not won people will question him and may even call for his firing.  Tale this forum with a grain of salt.

Sioux fans have high expectations and that good. I'm not one who calls for heads to roll.  But we expect to contend or win a natty every year and the team does to. That's the culture

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Speez said:

If I recall correctly, which is getting a little hazy, there were 8 freshman on that team. Bochenski was one of them. First year in quite a while that the Sioux didn't make the NCAA tournament. Was a tough year. The following year they got it back together and made the tournament. I think that was Parise's freshman year.

I believe there was 12 freshman on that team.  Similar in numbers to the 2005-2006 which had a lot of very skilled freshman, possibly the best collection of talent I have seen on any Sioux team.