SiouxSports.com Forum

Bullying

SiouxFanatic

7 minutes ago, UNDlaw80 said:

Miller’s parents should shoulder more responsibility for this mess, both for the bullying and the public relations.  A 14 year old understands right and wrong, but can’t always comprehend the true depth and ramifications of his/her actions.  That’s why bullying is most prevalent and severe at this age; and why parents/schools need to step in when fun goes beyond the typical chirping of 14 year olds.        

Bullies, even severe ones, aren’t innately bad kids. They act out for a variety of reasons.  
So this begs the question.  Where were his parents when he was beating up a handicapped kid for years?  You can’t tell me there were no warning signs.  Why didn’t his parents demand he personally apologize?  This would be the 1st thing any responsible parent would demand.  Then again, any 18 year old with a conscious would do it on his own.     

Kids are products of their environment.  People often change as they mature and are exposed to different ways of life beyond the worldview of their youth.  Going to UND, with the responsibilities and lessons that go with it, could be immensely beneficial for Miller.    
I trust that Berry has done his due diligence.  I’m willing to give him a second chance; albeit one on an exceedingly short leash.  That said, he and the unviersity thoroughly botched it on the public relations front.  

Agreed 100%

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, UNDlaw80 said:

Miller’s parents should shoulder more responsibility for this mess, both for the bullying and the public relations.  A 14 year old understands right and wrong, but can’t always comprehend the true depth and ramifications of his/her actions.  That’s why bullying is most prevalent and severe at this age; and why parents/schools need to step in when fun goes beyond the typical chirping of 14 year olds.        

Bullies, even severe ones, aren’t innately bad kids. They act out for a variety of reasons.  
So this begs the question.  Where were his parents when he was beating up a handicapped kid for years?  You can’t tell me there were no warning signs.  Why didn’t his parents demand he personally apologize?  This would be the 1st thing any responsible parent would demand.  Then again, any 18 year old with a conscious would do it on his own.     

Kids are products of their environment.  People often change as they mature and are exposed to different ways of life beyond the worldview of their youth.  Going to UND, with the responsibilities and lessons that go with it, could be immensely beneficial for Miller.    
I trust that Berry has done his due diligence.  I’m willing to give him a second chance; albeit one on an exceedingly short leash.  That said, he and the unviersity thoroughly botched it on the public relations front.  

100% agree with this, and who know where they stand with some of this, that stuff doesn't always come out publicly. When something like this happens with kids, I immediately wonder where the parents are at. I for one am extremely mindful in talking about this stuff with my kids. As much as I would hate to watch them get bullied, I absolutely never want to see them on the other side of that either.

Maybe the parents did everything right to point this kid towards the right actions, maybe not. I would be very interested to see how they responded to this though. We all know those parents who would never acknowledge their kids wrongdoings, even when it is staring them in the face. Truth is we probably will never know in this case.

• Like 2

Why hasn't anyone mentioned MM's parents...have they apologized about not teaching him right from wrong?  did they make him vonlunteer at Options, ARC, or a battered woman's shelter for a year instead of playing hockey after school. 

there is a reason that JUVENILE cases are supposed to be sealed...if you have shi8&y parents you will probably be a shi*&y person/kid and do bad things because you weren't raised right.

once your turn 18 it's on you to figure it out...some people will stay that bully/rapist/abuser their whole life....

has MM had any run in's with the law since he turned 18?

3 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

Why hasn't anyone mentioned MM's parents...have they apologized about not teaching him right from wrong?  did they make him vonlunteer at Options, ARC, or a battered woman's shelter for a year instead of playing hockey after school. 

there is a reason that JUVENILE cases are supposed to be sealed...if you have shi8&y parents you will probably be a shi*&y person/kid and do bad things because you weren't raised right.

once your turn 18 it's on you to figure it out...some people will stay that bully/rapist/abuser their whole life....

has MM had any run in's with the law since he turned 18?

The fact that a court order apology had to be issued seems ridiculous in the first place. As a parent, I would have been on that before going through the court system. I would have talked with the other kids parents and apologized myself, had lengthy conversations with my kid; and a written apology wouldn't cut it, that apology better be face to face and sincere. 

Not know everything that happened here, it sure seems like there were a lot of failures on the way to this happening.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

100% agree with this, and who know where they stand with some of this, that stuff doesn't always come out publicly. When something like this happens with kids, I immediately wonder where the parents are at. I for one am extremely mindful in talking about this stuff with my kids. As much as I would hate to watch them get bullied, I absolutely never want to see them on the other side of that either.

Maybe the parents did everything right to point this kid towards the right actions, maybe not. I would be very interested to see how they responded to this though. We all know those parents who would never acknowledge their kids wrongdoings, even when it is staring them in the face. Truth is we probably will never know in this case.

This is why I didn't put it in my list of questions, but it obviously is one of the first things that comes to mind after a situation like this.   Without knowing all the facts, it just seems very strange that they didn't go the extra mile to make this right and require the same of their son.  Even if your conscience didn't demand it of yourself, you would think common sense would.  

• Upvote 2

There is quite a bit of information related to the story that isn't public and it is rightfully causing a lot of assumptions on what did/didn't happen and reasonings behind those decisions. Not excusing what happened, but as with everything, there is more to the story, particularly as it relates to how it was handled after the fact.

UND was aware of the entire situation well beforehand. Going to trust Berry's gut on this one. Character is incredibly important to him.

Not that everyone's past should be dug into all the way back to when they were in junior high, but why Schlossman hadn't covered this at all prior is a bit of a headscratcher, it wasn't exactly a new revelation.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UNDlaw80 said:

I trust that Berry has done his due diligence.  I’m willing to give Miller a second chance; albeit one on an exceedingly short leash.  That said, both parties thoroughly botched it on the public relations front.  

The parents coming out of the shadows and owning up to their role in this is probably the best possible resolution in the short term.

Speaking of parents, the victim's dad apparently has some skeletons in his closet too, and doesn't have the defense of his frontal lobe not being fully developed at the time.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

The parents coming out of the shadows and owning up to their role in this is probably the best possible resolution in the short term.

Speaking of parents, the victim's dad apparently has some skeletons in his closet too, and doesn't have the defense of his frontal lobe not being fully developed at the time.

link

Seems like many have full information on the situation.  I do not and am prone to forgiveness and second chances.  I too will trust coach to steer the ship and this young man.  Perhaps this is an opportunity to showcase how college and sports can put a person on a better path.

55 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Yeah, im not going to move anything away from the kids actions because the bullied kids dad's past.

Nothing the dad did makes being forced to lick a urinal sucker ok.

Bottom line, if you strip the label hockey star of your favorite team off of Miller's resume many of the give him a second chance crowd would fade away quickly.  The name calling is one thing because that is unfortunately what many kids do before they gain a better understanding of what those words mean.  His actions though signify a much deeper issue with his character....and by age 14 much of your development when it comes to formulating basic right and wrong behavior towards others has already happened. 

There's a big difference between being sorry....and being sorry that you were caught.  I don't care if someone gives him a second chance I just wish it was somewhere else.  UND is better than this. 

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

jesus...sometimes you can't even make this stuff up...puts a guy in a choke hold over a lack of playing time for his son?  unbelievable.

I'd be more worried about the statement being made by UND bringing in a kid that clearly has character issues then what some idiot parent with zero ties to UND is doing at a youth sporting event 3-4 states away. 

55 minutes ago, Langster019 said:

The naivety of many saying “UND is better than this” is kind of surprising. This is no different than most other instances of scandal within the world of sports. 

Michael Vick, Adrian Peterson, Tyreek Hill, Kareem Hunt, Ray Rice, Kobe Bryant, Dany Heatley, and the list goes on as to what they did and how they may or may not received redemption or a second chance.

Berry knows what he’s doing or he wouldn’t have brought him in, although the university flopped their statement.

Naive wanting for UND to not fully go down the road of professional sports?  Yes, guilty.  (As even you  used all pro sports examples).  I'll take a class act like Tychonik over a questionable character guy like Miller each and every time......as that essentially was the trade off this year.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

Naive wanting for UND to not fully go down the road of professional sports?  Yes, guilty.  (As even you  used all pro sports examples).  I'll take a class act like Tychonik over a questionable character guy like Miller each and every time......as that essentially was the trade off this year.

In a way, one could say those are the best possible examples as they are grown adults with outcomes on both ends of the spectrum. And lets be honest here, UND hockey, like Duke basketball, Alabama football, or any other top collegiate D1 program, is basically in the same arena as a professional sport. They operate a different way than most others. It's not always about who someone is, but what their ability is. But yeah, I personally agree with taking good vs. questionable, but we're not making millions as coaches so we don't get a say, unfortunately. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1