SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 non UND FCS thread

UNDBIZ

4 hours ago, Bison06 said:

Hard to say with what we’ve seen from Cole so far. As any football fan knows, the QB sitting on the bench is always the best player on the team when things aren’t going great. He certainly looks the part and has looked good in the limited opportunities he’s gotten. I think people also need to remember this was(without looking it up) Cam Miller’s 10th start maybe, some of NDSU’s all time greats didn’t look good their true freshman year or had the luxury of sitting and learning for much longer than Cam has. He’s been thrown into the fire so I’m giving him time to develop before I say he isn’t the guy moving forward.

They also had the luxury of being much better football players.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

They also had the luxury of being much better football players.

That does help, haha

Though, people somehow forget the early Brock Jensen years when we won a lot of games in spite of him. Easton Stick also left a ton to be desired his first year as starter.

11 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

That does help, haha

Though, people somehow forget the early Brock Jensen years when we won a lot of games in spite of him. Easton Stick also left a ton to be desired his first year as starter.

Cam Miller looks like a perfectly capable Bison QB. I think earlier non-freak QBs had the privilege of playing on better teams with significantly better coaches running the show.

Kid throws a nice ball. Can move around pretty good. I like him. Maybe the younger guy is better but no way of knowing that right now. 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

That does help, haha

Id argue that Brock clearly had a little something extra to him from the start though. Just the way he carried himself.

58 minutes ago, northernraider said:

https://www.al.com/sports/2021/11/john-grass-steps-down-as-head-football-coach-at-jacksonville-state.html

Interesting start to Jacksonville State transition.  Successful coach with two games left in the season leaves the program. I wonder what happened behind the scenes. 

Early word is that he had enough years in to fully max his retirement. He also likely wasn't interested in dealing with the FBS move(similar to the Gene Roebuck situation). Finally, the guess behind the timing is that it's because of the new early signing period. By formally resigning now and allowing a new coach to be hired by early December, Jax St doesn't get hurt as bad on the recruiting trail as if he resigned just a week or two before the signing period opened and the team hits the date without a permanent head coach.

But those are all theories, not hard facts.

4 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Id argue that Brock clearly had a little something extra to him from the start though. Just the way he carried himself.

Freshman Brock was lowkey not good though. We had like 4 plays.  Off tackle. Dive. Screen. 9 route. I think Brock had a solid core and he absolutely had FBS coaches. I dont think that environment is present anymore. 

I'll leave it to the guys who played at the collegiate level to figure the finer points out. I like the current kid. He seems like he's getting better. I just think Roehl and Entz got Peter Principled into jobs neither of them belong anywhere near. 

• Upvote 1

On 11/11/2021 at 3:14 PM, Midwestern Hawk said:

Not sure if it has been reported on here, but Jared Elliott will no longer be Head Football Coach at Western Illinois.

Kind of a surprise given what the program has to work with...  

3 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

SDSU is the blueprint, huh? More like the exception rather than the rule. Plus, UND needs to support football as its #1 sport like SDSU does if UND is going to turn Bubba’s fortunes around …

Um SDSU’s number 1 sport is basketball……. If football was number 1 they would be trying to move to the CUSA with the Bison! But no they are content staying in the FCS.

The only way UND puts football first is if the bandwagon Bison football fans come back home…….

Locks:

NDSU 6-1 - Win next against USD and they have the Conference Title.
MSU 6-2 - They are done with conference play.
USD 5-2 - They win on the road against NDSU and it sets up a 3 or 4 way tie for the Conference Title. The win today locks them into the playoffs.
SIU 5-2 - They play YSU at home. Conference Title is still possible.

Things get interesting:
SDSU 4-3 - They host UND next week. Win and it is a lock. Lose and things get interesting. They have two quality wins @CSU and NDSU.

UND 3-4 - On the road at SDSU. Win 99% chance they are done. But, if they win UND would be tied in conference with SDSU and own H2H. Only quality win would be SDSU - but finishing the season strong winning 4 or last 5.

UNI 3-4 - Hosting WIU, like UND with a win next week they would only have 6 D1 wins, but they would have three quality wins - Sac St., SDSU and SIU. If UND wins at SDSU does it open things up for UNI in over SDSU.

Predicted Outcome: NDSU, SDSU and UNI win, SDSU is in the playoffs but the question is, does UNI get in if Sac St wins out (co Big Sky Champ or Big Sky Champ). Plus how much does the nonconference MVFC record sway the committee.

UND needs the following to have a chance:  Win at SDSU, hope UNI loses and hope Sac St. win Big Sky Championship out right.  If the bubble falls correct could they get in???

8 minutes ago, tjbison said:

Disagree, they have a non qualifying win, If UND beats them i think they are out.  Either way they will be playing opening round and going on the road after that

What’s the outsider opinion if UND wins next week and UNI loses? None of them in or does UND get a shot?

What if UNI and UND wins? Here is their potential FCS records:

6-4 SDSU

6-4 UND

6-4 UNI

which one gets in?