SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND College Hockey 2020-21

cberkas

3 hours ago, SiouxFanatic said:

I can’t see why they wouldn’t hold the tournament in some shape/form. If anything I doubt it’ll be a 16-team tournament, back to 12? Single location for regionals/championship?

Im really curious what the selection process will be. Will the polls actually matter or is it all going to be decided in a smoke-filled backroom?

Either way, its already tainted a bit. 

But in reality there just may not be a clear championship in a winter sport for ..... years. 

NCAA should have set, or followed, precident last year and awarded a Nationa Champion based on the PWR and polls they had, the dame way football did for decades.

It was a joke last spring but in reality, the world of college hockey will never be the same, or consistent.

1 hour ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Either way, its already tainted a bit. 

But in reality there just may not be a clear championship in a winter sport for ..... years. 

NCAA should have set, or followed, precident last year and awarded a Nationa Champion based on the PWR and polls they had, the dame way football did for decades.

It was a joke last spring but in reality, the world of college hockey will never be the same, or consistent.

I agree with most of what you say but you can’t crown a champion without having a playoff.

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2020/11/18_What-Will-This-Season-Look.php

We know that the Pairwise — the system for selecting and seeding the NCAA Tournament — is meaningless this year, thanks to a lack of non-conference games. That means the Men's Ice Hockey Committee will have its hands full, picking the field solely via opinion (and automatic bids) for the first time in over 30 years.

I did get a chuckle out of this:

Minnesota coach Bob Motzko said the lack of fans is not as much of a challenge as the condensed schedule and travel.

Of course that won't be a challenge for UMN, they play in front of no fans all the time at home.  :) 

• Upvote 3

On 11/17/2020 at 6:58 PM, SiouxFanatic said:

I can’t see why they wouldn’t hold the tournament in some shape/form. If anything I doubt it’ll be a 16-team tournament, back to 12? Single location for regionals/championship?

Im really curious what the selection process will be. Will the polls actually matter or is it all going to be decided in a smoke-filled backroom?

I would guess the 6 regular season champions and 6 conference tournament champions will make the tournament which would allow for between 4 and 10 at large bids.

On 11/18/2020 at 12:48 AM, Blackheart said:

I agree with most of what you say but you can’t crown a champion without having a playoff.

My guess is the sentiment wouldn't be the same if und was ranked #2.

Edited by bale31
Edited for clarity

We know that the Pairwise — the system for selecting and seeding the NCAA Tournament — is meaningless this year, thanks to a lack of non-conference games. That means the Men's Ice Hockey Committee will have its hands full, picking the field solely via opinion (and automatic bids) for the first time in over 30 years.

Bust out the stogies and the dimly lit back room ... but maintain social distance. 

16 hours ago, brianvf said:

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2020/11/18_What-Will-This-Season-Look.php

I did get a chuckle out of this:

Of course that won't be a challenge for UMN, they play in front of no fans all the time at home.  :) 

Minny has as many fans as before...they’re just choosing to social distance from Mariucci Arena.:D

On 11/17/2020 at 6:58 PM, SiouxFanatic said:

My thought is why should we punished the teams that play because some want to cancel their season? Keep the tourney the way it is. "Hopefully", by that time we can have fans in the stands. 

LIU wins their first game in their very first game played.
Crazy how quickly that program came together, especially in the middle of a pandemic.
They were outshot 41-15 by Holy Cross but still won in OT.

ASU and MSU tie, 1-1.

UMN beats PSU, 4-1.

Michigan remains undefeated, beating UW 5-2.

4 hours ago, SiouxForever said:

Michigan continues the early wins. Imo, they’ll be better than Minnesota and your Big Ten front runner. 

Gotta agree. I watched Mich-Az State and I thought Mich looked good, although I thought Az State looked pretty weak. I watched most of the minny game last night. They looked pretty good too. Big 7 could have a decent year.

On 11/19/2020 at 5:51 PM, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Mitchell Mattson is slow; a step behind the pace of D1. No surprise they pulled his scholly.

You seem to be inspiring the Iron Rangers, as Mattson scored for Michigan State tonight.

9 hours ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

Gotta agree. I watched Mich-Az State and I thought Mich looked good, although I thought Az State looked pretty weak. I watched most of the minny game last night. They looked pretty good too. Big 7 could have a decent year.

ASU struggled to get the puck the entire series.  The only time they had any pressure was when they were on the PP.  On a side note, Michigan was a little chippy; not surprised though.