SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND College Hockey 2020-21

cberkas

Saw on the Western Fan site a few days ago they were discussing how they need

to make the move to the Can't Cut It Hockey Association (CCHA). And that was before the beat down today.

No need to be the punching bag of the NCHC anymore, I guess. I understand they are in a tough spot with their starting goalie hurt, but is it too early to give up on this. A move isn't going to guarantee they are going to be the class of the CCHA. I don't think talent like Wade Allison , Mattias Samuelssons and Dawson Diepietro will be coming to Kalamazoo to face the likes of Ferris State, LSSU and Northern Michigan on a regular basis.

I hope they understand you need about a .700 winning percentage to have a chance at an at-large NCAA bid if you are in that conference. 

• Like 1

Hi there, we will have some Fighting Hawks commentary/recaps soon, but have a piece on UAH and joining Atlantic Hockey and why it makes sense. Would love to hear your thoughts! And for those asking, we want to do what we can to keep our site free to folks and be independent. Donations so we can do this more and cover underdogs across all sports helps there. (look at the bottom of most of our work). No one is under any obligation to do this, but we were asked this question in a locked thread so I am putting it here for reference as well. Let us know what you think! 

https://seamoresports.com/2020/12/06/alabama-huntsville-and-atlantic-hockey-four-reasons-this-match-makes-sense/

17 hours ago, brianvf said:

SCSU and UMD both win today to remain undefeated after 3 games.

2 big games coming up for UND with DU on Tuesday and UMD on Thursday.

Exactly, when they still play Denver 4 times after the Pod, they can’t afford to lose to teams they are done with after the Pod. Don’t see Duluth or St.Cloud losing to Western or Miami much, so their only losses outside the Pod could come against each other.  The Penrose would be pretty hard to attain under those circumstances.

UMD plays Miami and WMU a combined 10 times after the pod is over.  I really have a hard time believing that they'd lose any of those games...at most one or two.  WMU is horrible and UMD plays them six times after the pod.

I'd say with how the pod divisions are split up, I have a hard time seeing a way that UMD doesn't win the league.  UMD's only tough matchups will be with SCSU.

Meanwhile, UND and DU will slug it out after the pod and are paired with Omaha and CC...both tougher opponents than WMU.

Just now, brianvf said:

UMD plays Miami and WMU a combined 10 times after the pod is over.  I really have a hard time believing that they'd lose any of those games...at most one or two.  WMU is horrible and UMD plays them six times after the pod.

I'd say with how the pod divisions are split up, I have a hard time seeing a way that UMD doesn't win the league.  UMD's only tough matchups will be with SCSU.

Meanwhile, UND and DU will slug it out after the pod and are paired with Omaha and CC...both tougher opponents than WMU.

If Western gets Brandon Bussi back, they’re likely a more competitive team in that division and could take some points. Miami has been more competitive so far than I thought they’d be. I think SCSU and UMD games will probably be as competitive as the UND and DU games are so I think that might be a wash. 

8 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

If Western gets Brandon Bussi back, they’re likely a more competitive team in that division and could take some points. Miami has been more competitive so far than I thought they’d be. I think SCSU and UMD games will probably be as competitive as the UND and DU games are so I think that might be a wash. 

Even so, I would feel a whole lot better if they had to play Western and Miami in an environment with fans, but it is what it is.   UND just needs to take care of business against Duluth and St. Cloud.  

2 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

How on earth is this SC team still undefeated....? 11 shots through two against a Western team we put that many up in the first five minutes. 

WMU up 25-12 in shots and 2-0 in score with 15min left in game.
How did this SCSU team beat Denver?

59 minutes ago, dden3 said:

Western is playing more like the Western we know. 

I could not imagine playing for Andy Murray being 0-3-1 after giving up 25 goals in 4 games.  

I think the players took the death glares seriously and got themselves an important win over a team playing well.  

On 12/6/2020 at 6:00 PM, NoDak Fan said:

Saw on the Western Fan site a few days ago they were discussing how they need

to make the move to the Can't Cut It Hockey Association (CCHA). And that was before the beat down today.

No need to be the punching bag of the NCHC anymore, I guess. I understand they are in a tough spot with their starting goalie hurt, but is it too early to give up on this. A move isn't going to guarantee they are going to be the class of the CCHA. I don't think talent like Wade Allison , Mattias Samuelssons and Dawson Diepietro will be coming to Kalamazoo to face the likes of Ferris State, LSSU and Northern Michigan on a regular basis.

I hope they understand you need about a .700 winning percentage to have a chance at an at-large NCAA bid if you are in that conference. 

I'm not sure which fan site you were looking at, but most of us believe the NCHC is the right place for the program.  There is one idiot who keeps talking about how he wanted us in the WCHA, but the NCHC has really given the program an opportunity to grow.  No way we would have been able to bring in the talent we've been bringing in if we were playing LSSU and Bemidji every night.  The team last year had the talent to beat any team in the country (and with a Detroit frozen four anything was possible).  I'm still upset at the timing of this whole Covid thing cancelling the season last year.  

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, ubish said:

I'm not sure which fan site you were looking at, but most of us believe the NCHC is the right place for the program.  There is one idiot who keeps talking about how he wanted us in the WCHA, but the NCHC has really given the program an opportunity to grow.  No way we would have been able to bring in the talent we've been bringing in if we were playing LSSU and Bemidji every night.  The team last year had the talent to beat any team in the country (and with a Detroit frozen four anything was possible).  I'm still upset at the timing of this whole Covid thing cancelling the season last year.  

I know none of us were relishing the prospects of Western getting in and UND potentially having to play them in the NCAA tourney.   Of course in retrospect having a post season would have been great for any team.