SiouxSports.com Forum

Best Sioux hockey memories

GeauxSioux

13 hours ago, squirtcoach said:

That is quite the lineup card with a future HobeyDuncan on 4th line.  Who were the two centers i cannot see?

Matt waitkins and Rylain Kaip 3rd liner who became captain. Continuing our tradition of leaders come from anywhere. 

20 hours ago, Blackheart said:

Its Friday night and the Gofers are in Grand Forks!  John Hill is behind the bench for Minny (not sure where Loo-Chia-Pet was) and the Ralph is rocking!  Jason Gregoire with 2 goals as the Sioux win 6-3.

Re-watching this games reminds me of how fun it was to have Brett Hextall on the team. He was so damn good at agitating the opposing team into doing something stupid.

2 minutes ago, dden3 said:

Is the 2007 regional game in Denver v Michigan posted somewhere?  8-5 win by Sioux. As previously noted a crazy game. 

Pretty sure I've only seen highlights posted for that game although it could be out there.

Just now, fightingsioux4life said:

It isn't a game involving our team, but does anybody have the 2006 WCHA Final Five Semifinal game between the Goofs and St. Cloud State? It was an instant classic and it foreshadowed what would happen at REA one week later! :lol:

Is that the one where Ryan Potulny scored 4 goals?

49 minutes ago, UNDlaw80 said:

The Wisconsin 'water bottle' fight looks tame compared to this.  That has to be Archibald in the brawl closest to center ice, no?  I think I see #15    

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lsny2H1eqw

If my memory serves me right, that was the game that had the officials give all 4 UND right wings DQ penalties, making them ineligible to play in the next game.  That led to a player ending up playing only that following, one game in his UND career (which was a brief one, at that).  That player went on to play a number of years in the NHL and was on the Penguins' Stanley Cup winning team with Mario L.  His name.......Jay Caufield, who had a football injury that ended his football career, but was cleared to play hockey (go figure).  He had transferred to UND for football, coming from (I believe it was) Hibbing Jr. College in Minnesota.  Jay had a tremendous shot, but needed some work on his overall skating to crack the UND line up.  He worked out all summer before getting to the NHL, hitting the boxing speed equipment.  I'm pretty sure his attraction to NHL teams was his size and toughness.  He was a very nice guy off the ice, but was a formidable competitor.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Old Barn Guy at Home said:

If my memory serves me right, that was the game that had the officials give all 4 UND right wings DQ penalties, making them ineligible to play in the next game.  That led to a player ending up playing only that following, one game in his UND career (which was a brief one, at that).  That player went on to play a number of years in the NHL and was on the Penguins' Stanley Cup winning team with Mario L.  His name.......Jay Caufield, who had a football injury that ended his football career, but was cleared to play hockey (go figure).  He had transferred to UND for football, coming from (I believe it was) Hibbing Jr. College in Minnesota.  Jay had a tremendous shot, but needed some work on his overall skating to crack the UND line up.  He worked out all summer before getting to the NHL, hitting the boxing speed equipment.  I'm pretty sure his attraction to NHL teams was his size and toughness.  He was a very nice guy off the ice, but was a formidable competitor.

If John Casey was in the video, then Jay didn't play in 84. Jay played 1 game in 85.

Two more regular season moments for me.

UND was playing St. Cloud in the last home game before winter break.  Was in Upper Bowl and noticed when the curtain was drawn back that... HOLY CRAP!  They are wearing their black jerseys at home!

UND then proceeded to drop 4 goals in the 1st period and win 6-2.  

Here's an UND/U of M one:

Waiting outside in the student line when the FSN North crew was out interviewing some of the student.  A U of M fan decided to try and bomb the camera when they were interviewing a UND fan.  He got within 3 steps of her when he slipped on the snow/ice, fell backward and landed on his back.  The crowd ABSOLUTELY let him have it.... 

16 hours ago, cberkas said:

If John Casey was in the video, then Jay didn't play in 84. Jay played 1 game in 85.

You are correct, Jay played in the 1984-85 season and signed a pro contract in 1985.  Do you know the circumstances of how Jay ended up playing in his one and only UND game?  Maybe there was some other team-type brawl that preceded his getting into the line up?

2 hours ago, Old Barn Guy at Home said:

You are correct, Jay played in the 1984-85 season and signed a pro contract in 1985.  Do you know the circumstances of how Jay ended up playing in his one and only UND game?  Maybe there was some other team-type brawl that preceded his getting into the line up?

I have no idea.