SiouxSports.com Forum

Best Sioux hockey memories

GeauxSioux

4 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Unfortunately, ESPN is giving no love for college hockey on what would be the sport's biggest weekend.

I take it back - on Sunday afternoon ESPN2 is airing 4 NCAA Hockey Championship games, though none are UND's 2016 game.  (2002, 2009, 2011, 2015)

21 hours ago, burd said:

Watching these old games, some have noted the difference in the way the obstruction penalties are called in today's game.  Two questions:

First,  we Sioux fans were very vocal about our belief that the obstruction was out of hand with Parise and that something had to be done.  I recall fans claiming that obstruction in the college game was part of the reason he left to NJ when he did.   Anyone have reliable information that that claim was true?  For all I know, Zach may have said it himself in an interview. 

Second, was the change in the way obstruction is called good for the college game?  I'm not talking about the way cfb is called--that's a safety measure.   Just hooking, interference, holding--that kind of stuff.

I was thinking the same thing.  The one that stands out is Kieth Ballard....Everytime he got checked or went down his first instinct was to clutch and grab or hold the opponents stick.  Actually pretty crappy to watch, compared to today's style of play

14 minutes ago, 1972 said:

I was thinking the same thing.  The one that stands out is Kieth Ballard....Everytime he got checked or went down his first instinct was to clutch and grab or hold the opponents stick.  Actually pretty crappy to watch, compared to today's style of play

I agree that any tendency the rules changes have had to make the game more speed and finesse oriented is a good thing.   Embellishment is a tough call to make, but it would be nice to see it used more to deal with those players who try to abuse the obstruction rules to their advantage.  

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Blackheart said:

I know this one will be a fan favorite...Chris Porter scores the GWG in OT to send the Sioux to the Frozen Four...If you watch the whole video you can see Jeff Dubay's salty tears in the postgame wrapup. :D

That goal was totally worth the glare I got from a girl at BWWs for hugging her boyfriend...

and the look from the assistant manager when he came out to figure out why "f the gophers" was about to take the roof off...and why his staff was asking if they could join the cheer...

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, siouxforeverbaby said:

That goal was totally worth the glare I got from a girl at BWWs for hugging her boyfriend...

and the look from the assistant manager when he came out to figure out why "f the gophers" was about to take the roof off...and why his staff was asking if they could join the cheer...

That's funny right there.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, 01grad said:

I remember that Siembida from Porcupine game vs gophers with his white helmet shutting them down

That was January of 2002...Sioux won on Friday 4-3 and lost on Saturday 1-2.  Seimbida made 37 saves on Friday and 36 on Saturday.  Whatever happened to him?  He kinda disappeared by the end of the season.

26 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Dubay likely sweating because he was having withdrawals in the postgame.

God he wanted to call the Sioux classless goons but couldn't because Marney was sitting right there.....

A friend of mine in Minneapolis called KFAN the following Monday and asked why the Fox Sports North announcer was crying during the postgame.  The host, Dan Barreiro said, "I don't think he was crying...he may have blubbered a little though.":D

45 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

That was January of 2002...Sioux won on Friday 4-3 and lost on Saturday 1-2.  Seimbida made 37 saves on Friday and 36 on Saturday.  Whatever happened to him?  He kinda disappeared by the end of the season.

Played one more season and just didn't have it.  Rumors of him coming in out of shape his second year etc, Blais wasn't happy, etc.  Played a year in the NAHL, before going to Quinnipiac and finishing there.

Currently an assistant coach at Yale. 

• Upvote 3

Its Friday night and the Gofers are in Grand Forks!  John Hill is behind the bench for Minny (not sure where Loo-Chia-Pet was) and the Ralph is rocking!  Jason Gregoire with 2 goals as the Sioux win 6-3.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Blackheart said:

Its Friday night and the Gofers are in Grand Forks!  John Hill is behind the bench for Minny (not sure where Loo-Chia-Pet was) and the Ralph is rocking!  Jason Gregoire with 2 goals as the Sioux win 6-3.

We know for sure he wasn't at the fan luncheon.

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

I think I was at that game and some of the Sioux fans had a 'Diver Down' flag that they were waving for him.  "Dive, Robbie, Dive!"

th?id=OIP._Gc0JTVO15J5nz9X91jmtQHaHa&pid=Api&P=0&w=300&h=300

I was at one game at the KC when he made a diving, half breakaway shot for a goal to win the game.  Crushing but a fantastic play.  Someone on the Badger staff should have guided him more on the diving stuff, though.  It did him no good in the end. 

47 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

Correction on the year: It was 2009, not 2010.

And it looks like we completed the sweep on Saturday with a 6-1 win.

2 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Correction on the year: It was 2009, not 2010.

And it looks like we completed the sweep on Saturday with a 6-1 win.

You are correct on the year...and my next video will be the Saturday sweep!

• Like 1