Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
Sign in to follow this  
GeauxSioux

Best Sioux hockey memories

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Blackheart said:

I know this one will be a fan favorite...Chris Porter scores the GWG in OT to send the Sioux to the Frozen Four...If you watch the whole video you can see Jeff Dubay's salty tears in the postgame wrapup. :D

 

Jeff Frazee, king of the soft goal. His one against St. Cloud, that was waved off, was the beginning of Kangas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Blackheart said:

I know this one will be a fan favorite...Chris Porter scores the GWG in OT to send the Sioux to the Frozen Four...If you watch the whole video you can see Jeff Dubay's salty tears in the postgame wrapup. :D

 

What about that crazy game against Michigan from the same regional? Most entertaining game of offensive hockey I’ve ever seen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

What about that crazy game against Michigan from the same regional? Most entertaining game of offensive hockey I’ve ever seen.

I remember going to Senser’s in Bloomington to watch that one.  It was packed to the rafters in there; ended up standing the entire time.  Sioux were down 2 a couple times I believe before pulling out an 8-5? win.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

What about that crazy game against Michigan from the same regional? Most entertaining game of offensive hockey I’ve ever seen.

That game was insane!!  What an awesome Regional that would have been to attend.   Especially considering it was in Denver and packed full of Sioux fans!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Blackheart said:

I remember going to Senser’s in Bloomington to watch that one.  It was packed to the rafters in there; ended up standing the entire time.  Sioux were down 2 a couple times I believe before pulling out an 8-5? win.

From what I remember yes. It’s probably my all time favorite game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

From what I remember yes. It’s probably my all time favorite game.

Goaltending was optional apparently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2007 WCHA Final Five championship game currently airing on FSN.  ALmost end of regulation.  Sioux lose that game in OT to Blake Wheeler's attempt to save icing. :blink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The reason I noticed that was because I was actually looking at the ESPNU schedule thinking there might be some Frozen Four re-broadcasts today/tonight/this weekend since today would have been the 2020 Frozen Four semifinals.  Unfortunately, ESPN is giving no love for college hockey on what would be the sport's biggest weekend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Blackheart said:

Goaltending was optional apparently.

One thing about that’07 team, the defense wasn’t great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Unfortunately, ESPN is giving no love for college hockey on what would be the sport's biggest weekend.

I take it back - on Sunday afternoon ESPN2 is airing 4 NCAA Hockey Championship games, though none are UND's 2016 game.  (2002, 2009, 2011, 2015)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, burd said:

Watching these old games, some have noted the difference in the way the obstruction penalties are called in today's game.  Two questions:

First,  we Sioux fans were very vocal about our belief that the obstruction was out of hand with Parise and that something had to be done.  I recall fans claiming that obstruction in the college game was part of the reason he left to NJ when he did.   Anyone have reliable information that that claim was true?  For all I know, Zach may have said it himself in an interview. 

 

Second, was the change in the way obstruction is called good for the college game?  I'm not talking about the way cfb is called--that's a safety measure.   Just hooking, interference, holding--that kind of stuff.

I was thinking the same thing.  The one that stands out is Kieth Ballard....Everytime he got checked or went down his first instinct was to clutch and grab or hold the opponents stick.  Actually pretty crappy to watch, compared to today's style of play

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Sioux beat the Gofers on a late goal from Travis Zajac back in January 2006.

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, 1972 said:

I was thinking the same thing.  The one that stands out is Kieth Ballard....Everytime he got checked or went down his first instinct was to clutch and grab or hold the opponents stick.  Actually pretty crappy to watch, compared to today's style of play

I agree that any tendency the rules changes have had to make the game more speed and finesse oriented is a good thing.   Embellishment is a tough call to make, but it would be nice to see it used more to deal with those players who try to abuse the obstruction rules to their advantage.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Blackheart said:

I know this one will be a fan favorite...Chris Porter scores the GWG in OT to send the Sioux to the Frozen Four...If you watch the whole video you can see Jeff Dubay's salty tears in the postgame wrapup. :D

 

That goal was totally worth the glare I got from a girl at BWWs for hugging her boyfriend...

and the look from the assistant manager when he came out to figure out why "f the gophers" was about to take the roof off...and why his staff was asking if they could join the cheer...

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, siouxforeverbaby said:

That goal was totally worth the glare I got from a girl at BWWs for hugging her boyfriend...

and the look from the assistant manager when he came out to figure out why "f the gophers" was about to take the roof off...and why his staff was asking if they could join the cheer...

That's funny right there.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dubay likely sweating because he was having withdrawals in the postgame.

God he wanted to call the Sioux classless goons but couldn't because Marney was sitting right there.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember that Siembida from Porcupine game vs gophers with his white helmet shutting them down

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, 01grad said:

I remember that Siembida from Porcupine game vs gophers with his white helmet shutting them down

That was January of 2002...Sioux won on Friday 4-3 and lost on Saturday 1-2.  Seimbida made 37 saves on Friday and 36 on Saturday.  Whatever happened to him?  He kinda disappeared by the end of the season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Dubay likely sweating because he was having withdrawals in the postgame.

God he wanted to call the Sioux classless goons but couldn't because Marney was sitting right there.....

A friend of mine in Minneapolis called KFAN the following Monday and asked why the Fox Sports North announcer was crying during the postgame.  The host, Dan Barreiro said, "I don't think he was crying...he may have blubbered a little though.":D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

That was January of 2002...Sioux won on Friday 4-3 and lost on Saturday 1-2.  Seimbida made 37 saves on Friday and 36 on Saturday.  Whatever happened to him?  He kinda disappeared by the end of the season.

Played one more season and just didn't have it.  Rumors of him coming in out of shape his second year etc, Blais wasn't happy, etc.  Played a year in the NAHL, before going to Quinnipiac and finishing there.

Currently an assistant coach at Yale. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rylan Kaip comes up big as the Sioux erase an early 2 goal deficit on their way to a 4-3 win in the 2006 Final Five.

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Prison_Mike said:

I forgot how much I disliked Robbie Earl. What a tool...

Too bad he was a diver.  Great talent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, burd said:

Too bad he was a diver.  Great talent.

I think I was at that game and some of the Sioux fans had a 'Diver Down' flag that they were waving for him.  "Dive, Robbie, Dive!"

th?id=OIP._Gc0JTVO15J5nz9X91jmtQHaHa&pid=Api&P=0&w=300&h=300

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its Friday night and the Gofers are in Grand Forks!  John Hill is behind the bench for Minny (not sure where Loo-Chia-Pet was) and the Ralph is rocking!  Jason Gregoire with 2 goals as the Sioux win 6-3.

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...