SiouxSports.com Forum
Sign in to follow this  
GeauxSioux

Best Sioux hockey memories

12 minutes ago, dden3 said:

This Gord Sherven was a very good player. Not one of the more recognizable names to me as the others but a helluva player. 

He looked good, didn't he?  Could turn on the jets.

And the Cooperalls Driver wore.   Never seen those in a college game  before--and only a few in high school years ago.  A little surprised Bob Johnson allowed it, but I guess it says something about the man. 

A total of 21 players from this title game played in the NHL.  UND (12) sent James Patrick, Craig Ludwig, Troy Murray, Dave Tippett, Rick Zombo, Phil Sykes, Jon Casey, Dave Donelly, Gord Sherven, Darren Jensen, Jim Archibald, and Dan Brennan to the NHL.  From Wisonsin (9) came Chris Chelios, Bruce Driver, Brian Mullen, Pat Flatley, Marc Behrend, John Newberry, Phil Houck, John Johannson, and Terry Kleisinger.  That's incredible!

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, burd said:

He looked good, didn't he?  Could turn on the jets.

And the Cooperalls Driver wore.   Never seen those in a college game  before--and only a few in high school years ago.  A little surprised Bob Johnson allowed it, but I guess it says something about the man. 

I googled Sherven and he had a few years in North American hockey and then had many years in German hockey. He is a community leader in Calgary in the investment business and works at the same outfit as Perry Berezan. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

A total of 21 players from this title game played in the NHL.  UND (12) sent James Patrick, Craig Ludwig, Troy Murray, Dave Tippett, Rick Zombo, Phil Sykes, Jon Casey, Dave Donelly, Gord Sherven, Darren Jensen, Jim Archibald, and Dan Brennan to the NHL.  From Wisonsin (9) came Chris Chelios, Bruce Driver, Brian Mullen, Pat Flatley, Marc Behrend, John Newberry, Phil Houck, John Johannson, and Terry Kleisinger.  That's incredible!

Thanks Blackheart for giving me all these gems to watch during the lockdown.  You should get a Sioux Award for your work!

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, dden3 said:

Thanks Blackheart for giving me all these gems to watch during the lockdown.  You should get a Sioux Award for your work!

My pleasure; hope they bring back a lot of good memories.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Blackheart said:

My pleasure; hope they bring back a lot of good memories.

I think you have brought us more than good memories.  So much is said on this site about the the players, the team, and the game relative to what it once was.  Watching these games from different eras and coached by different coaches in serial fashion really helps with perspective. 

• Like 1

The Sioux punch their ticket to the 2000 Frozen Four with a win over upstart Niagara at Mariucci Arena. Andy Kollar, in for the injured Karl Goehring, backstopped the Sioux to a 4-1 victory.  I was fortunate enough to attend this one and I'll always remember the way Commie went after the Niagara player who plowed into Kollar in the second period. (right after the 1:05:35 mark)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

The Sioux punch their ticket to the 2000 Frozen Four with a win over upstart Niagara at Mariucci Arena. Andy Kollar, in for the injured Karl Goehring, backstopped the Sioux to a 4-1 victory.  I was fortunate enough to attend this one and I'll always remember the way Commie went after the Niagara player who plowed into Kollar in the second period. (right after the 1:05:35 mark)

I was there as well and I went absolutely ballistic when that happened. That punk took two or three extra steps so he could plow into Kollar. If this had happened in a different era, Commie would have ended his career.

56 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

Man was Panzer good. So good at dishing that puck. 
Thank you for posting!!

• Upvote 1

As much as the announcers liked to give Niagara a chance at winning this game, they never had a chance. The first period their strategy was "let's get the puck out of our end." The second period was "let's shoot the puck from the blue line or way out on the perimeter." The third period was pretty much "we're screwed". 

• Upvote 1

Thanks, Blackheart for posting!

Always remembered this Saturday afternoon game from Mariucci. It was three long  years between trips to the Frozen Four. I think UND would have dominated more had this

game not been played on an Olympic sheet. I think that kept their O-zone attack a bit more conservative.

I think there was some grumblings by Wisconsin fans/team about the fact UND got to play No. 6 Niagara while they had to play BC which was the 4 seed.

They believed they should have gotten the easier opponent. That season Wisconsin fell victim to what had happened to UND over the previous two seasons. Win the reg. season league crown and then sort of lose its game. That was a good Badger team, but finished with back-to-back losses.

Yes, Panzer was the difference maker in this one.

• Like 1

On 4/10/2020 at 3:13 PM, Blackheart said:

Its Friday night and the Gofers are in Grand Forks!  John Hill is behind the bench for Minny (not sure where Loo-Chia-Pet was) and the Ralph is rocking!  Jason Gregoire with 2 goals as the Sioux win 6-3.

It's hilarious to hear Mozzocco and Woog just lay into the gopher players in the first period.  "I don't know how they're giving up so many odd man rushes.  They aren't even getting the puck deep enough in the offensive zone to be caught back."  Going on about laziness, etc..  

3 hours ago, keikla said:

It's hilarious to hear Mozzocco and Woog just lay into the gopher players in the first period.  "I don't know how they're giving up so many odd man rushes.  They aren't even getting the puck deep enough in the offensive zone to be caught back."  Going on about laziness, etc..  

Good stuff...I have another Friday night beatdown coming your way sometime later today...more lack of effort by our Minnesota friends.

• Upvote 3

Home game in round one of the 2010 WCHA playoffs for UND vs Minny.  Gofer Goalie Alex Kangas says in pregame he hates UND, the building, the fans, the entire state...apparently he hates stopping the puck too as gets yanked after two periods. Sioux cruise 6-0!

• Upvote 2

I realize I'm totally looking a gift horse in the mouth, but I have a small request.  Would you be willing to not include the final score in the post?  Even though I watched most of these when they happened, I've long forgotten the scores.  Not knowing beforehand helps keep the excitement and anxiety alive.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, keikla said:

I realize I'm totally looking a gift horse in the mouth, but I have a small request.  Would you be willing to not include the final score in the post?  Even though I watched most of these when they happened, I've long forgotten the scores.  Not knowing beforehand helps keep the excitement and anxiety alive.

No problem

• Upvote 1

On 4/11/2020 at 11:25 AM, Blackheart said:

It's Saturday, January 10, 2009 and the Sioux are going for the sweep at REA!  Ryan Duncan is player of the game with two goals.  Matt Watkins introduces Kevin Wehrs to "his" corner at 42:34.

I had forgotten about the infamous Zach Jones "blackout rage".  It took two linesmen to hold him back from going after Lucia lol

5 hours ago, Blackheart said:

Home game in round one of the 2010 WCHA playoffs for UND vs Minny.  Gofer Goalie Alex Kangas says in pregame he hates UND, the building, the fans, the entire state...apparently he hates stopping the puck too as gets yanked after two periods. Sioux cruise 6-0!

I have watched a lot of Sioux-Gofer games and this one has to be the least inspired, poorest played, most intimidated Gofer team I remember ever seeing. 

1 hour ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

I have watched a lot of Sioux-Gofer games and this one has to be the least inspired, poorest played, most intimidated Gofer team I remember ever seeing. 

We were there with our 16 month old grandson. His second Sioux hockey game. He made it on the big screen.  He's 11 now and possibly a bigger fan than me. Good times, good memories. 

20 minutes ago, runaroundsioux said:

We were there with our 16 month old grandson. His second Sioux hockey game. He made it on the big screen.  He's 11 now and possibly a bigger fan than me. Good times, good memories

The memory recall has been the best part of this thread.  Yeah, it's been fun to watch great hockey for the hockey itself.  But it's the memory recall that watching these games brings...  My parents getting us excused early from school so we could watch the 2000 semifinal game on TV, at the lake house of my former 3rd grade teacher cause they had the channel the game was on and we didn't. Feeling dread when UND got sent to Worcester with BC and BU only to walk out of there "claiming the beanpot".  Trupp's first game against Manitoba when he had a phenomenal back check to interrupt a breakaway, and we knew he would be something special.  Jordan Parise saying he would hear opposing forwards whimper in pain when trying to set up in front of the net.  Hextall chirping Scott Owens about Jenny Craig and weight watchers.  Ben Blood deadpanning to the opponents "you can only have five" after they got a too many men penalty.  An unlikely last minute tie and OT win out a CC.

I've had a lot of good memories surrounding this team.  A lot of painful ones too, but the good definitely outweighs the bad.  It's fun to relive it for a bit.

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, keikla said:

Trupp's first game against Manitoba when he had a phenomenal back check to interrupt a breakaway

I really wish that was on video somewhere.  I remember that as well and also recall thinking about what a special forward he would end up being.
I just remember him diving with his stick out-stretched and knocking the puck away while flying through the air.  The Manitoba player had a huge headstart on him too.

• Upvote 1

On 4/9/2020 at 11:22 PM, Blackheart said:

Rylan Kaip comes up big as the Sioux erase an early 2 goal deficit on their way to a 4-3 win in the 2006 Final Five.

This probably the best F5 I ever attended.  Started awfully, but as soon as Duncan sniped Elliot the game just had a different feel.  The atmosphere for every game was tremendous.  The 8-7 thriller the next game was a sight to behold.  

I'll never forget the PA guy announcing Earl's diving penalty.  Karma. 

@Blackheart You have Venmo or Paypal? I'd be happy to donate you some $$$ for all your time for this, would love to reward you and treat yourself. If you don't want anything understood. As you know, all of us here really appreciate it! 

MVP = @Blackheart

7 hours ago, Wilbur said:

This probably the best F5 I ever attended.  Started awfully, but as soon as Duncan sniped Elliot the game just had a different feel.  The atmosphere for every game was tremendous.  The 8-7 thriller the next game was a sight to behold.  

I'll never forget the PA guy announcing Earl's diving penalty.  Karma. 

No question this was the best Final 5 in terms of atmosphere. I was there again for this one in my day... Incredible, games and environment were electric and lunacy. So fun! Damn, watching this one brings back great times!

How did we not win the National Tournament with that team?  How did the tourney go for us?