SiouxSports.com Forum

Best Sioux hockey memories

GeauxSioux

February 2nd, 2013

UND was playing Wisconsin.  Me and the future wife (then girlfriend) were in the priority student line waiting to get in (watched the mens bball play in the afternoon).  Two people ahead of us was a guy who was complaining that this frozen badger under his coat was starting to stink.  I heard what he said, turned to my gf and mouthed: he has a dead <bleeping> Badger underneath his coat.  

UND raced out to a 2-0 lead, but it was the third goal in the second period when the Badger flew onto the ice and the students went wild. 

UND won the game 4-1, was quite the BADger beatdown. 

• Upvote 4

The Sioux end the Cinderella story Holy Cross season in the West Regional by a 5-2 score. The Crusaders took down the top ranked Gofers much to the delight of the REA crowd the day before. North Dakota, coached by Dave Hakstol, rides their outstanding freshman class and goalie Jordan Parise to its second straight Frozen Four.

My apologies as the first period starts at the 11:10 mark.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Blackheart said:

The Sioux end the Cinderella story Holy Cross season in the West Regional by a 5-2 score. The Crusaders took down the top ranked Gofers much to the delight of the REA crowd the day before. North Dakota, coached by Dave Hakstol, rides their outstanding freshman class and goalie Jordan Parise to its second straight Frozen Four.

My apologies as the first period starts at the 11:10 mark.

Any chance you have the Minnesota comeback Final Five game?

Watching these old games, some have noted the difference in the way the obstruction penalties are called in today's game.  Two questions:

First,  we Sioux fans were very vocal about our belief that the obstruction was out of hand with Parise and that something had to be done.  I recall fans claiming that obstruction in the college game was part of the reason he left to NJ when he did.   Anyone have reliable information that that claim was true?  For all I know, Zach may have said it himself in an interview. 

Second, was the change in the way obstruction is called good for the college game?  I'm not talking about the way cfb is called--that's a safety measure.   Just hooking, interference, holding--that kind of stuff.

1 hour ago, burd said:

Watching these old games, some have noted the difference in the way the obstruction penalties are called in today's game.  Two questions:

First,  we Sioux fans were very vocal about our belief that the obstruction was out of hand with Parise and that something had to be done.  I recall fans claiming that obstruction in the college game was part of the reason he left to NJ when he did.   Anyone have reliable information that that claim was true?  For all I know, Zach may have said it himself in an interview. 

Second, was the change in the way obstruction is called good for the college game?  I'm not talking about the way cfb is called--that's a safety measure.   Just hooking, interference, holding--that kind of stuff.

I don't know the answer to your first question. As far as the second question, IMO it is good for the game, although it seems to get called too tight at times.

I know this one will be a fan favorite...Chris Porter scores the GWG in OT to send the Sioux to the Frozen Four...If you watch the whole video you can see Jeff Dubay's salty tears in the postgame wrapup. :D

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Blackheart said:

I know this one will be a fan favorite...Chris Porter scores the GWG in OT to send the Sioux to the Frozen Four...If you watch the whole video you can see Jeff Dubay's salty tears in the postgame wrapup. :D

Jeff Frazee, king of the soft goal. His one against St. Cloud, that was waved off, was the beginning of Kangas.

8 hours ago, Blackheart said:

What about that crazy game against Michigan from the same regional? Most entertaining game of offensive hockey I’ve ever seen.

53 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

What about that crazy game against Michigan from the same regional? Most entertaining game of offensive hockey I’ve ever seen.

I remember going to Senser’s in Bloomington to watch that one.  It was packed to the rafters in there; ended up standing the entire time.  Sioux were down 2 a couple times I believe before pulling out an 8-5? win.

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

That game was insane!!  What an awesome Regional that would have been to attend.   Especially considering it was in Denver and packed full of Sioux fans!!!

2 hours ago, Blackheart said:

I remember going to Senser’s in Bloomington to watch that one.  It was packed to the rafters in there; ended up standing the entire time.  Sioux were down 2 a couple times I believe before pulling out an 8-5? win.

From what I remember yes. It’s probably my all time favorite game.

The reason I noticed that was because I was actually looking at the ESPNU schedule thinking there might be some Frozen Four re-broadcasts today/tonight/this weekend since today would have been the 2020 Frozen Four semifinals.  Unfortunately, ESPN is giving no love for college hockey on what would be the sport's biggest weekend.