SiouxSports.com Forum

Best Sioux hockey memories

GeauxSioux

Josh Seimbida, with his white goalie helmet and non-UND colored pads in goal for North Dakota as the Sioux overcome a 2-0 deficit with a 4 goal third period for the win. Seimbida had 37 saves (according to the box score) for UND.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Blackheart said:

Josh Seimbida, with his white goalie helmet and non-UND colored pads in goal for North Dakota as the Sioux overcome a 2-0 deficit with a 4 goal third period for the win. Seimbida had 37 saves (according to the box score) for UND.

Siembida played great, but that was one sloppy hockey game. 

UND's Pony Express Line against Furious George's DU Pioneers in the 2011 Final Five.  This game was 2 OT so I ended up splitting it into two videos.  That was even after cutting out the painful interview with former WCHA commish Bruce McLeod; felt like an hour but was probably only 5 minutes.:D

Of course I'm having trouble linking everything from YouTube so for now here you go...

Video 1(regulation time)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jskF_bB6Y8c

Video 2 (both OT's)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwDTIwIxdDE&feature=youtu.be&t=1

broadmoor champs.jpg

• Upvote 4

13 hours ago, Blackheart said:

UND's Pony Express Line against Furious George's DU Pioneers in the 2011 Final Five.  This game was 2 OT so I ended up splitting it into two videos.  That was even after cutting out the painful interview with former WCHA commish Bruce McLeod; felt like an hour but was probably only 5 minutes.:D

Of course I'm having trouble linking everything from YouTube so for now here you go...

Video 1(regulation time)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jskF_bB6Y8c

Video 2 (both OT's)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwDTIwIxdDE&feature=youtu.be&t=1

broadmoor champs.jpg

Looks like my Friday night is now taken care of.......thanks again, Blackheart!

• Upvote 2

Led by Phil Sykes' hat trick, North Dakota defeats the Badgers 5-2 for the NCAA title, March 27, 1982.  Great game as the Sioux took a 2-2 tie going into the 3rd period and won going away.  This is from an old tape so there are a couple really bad spots; especially in the 3rd period. (1:22:00-1:26:00 and 132:00-135:00) 

Gotta say, those Bucky fans are really having a good time.  Enjoy!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

Led by Phil Sykes' hat trick, North Dakota defeats the Badgers 5-2 for the NCAA title, March 27, 1982.  Great game as the Sioux took a 2-2 tie going into the 3rd period and won going away.  This is from an old tape so there are a couple really bad spots; especially in the 3rd period. (1:22:00-1:26:00 and 132:00-135:00) 

Gotta say, those Bucky fans are really having a good time.  Enjoy!

This is a true gem. I remember watching this with my dad when I was almost 8 years old. Thanks for posting this!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

This is a true gem. I remember watching this with my dad when I was almost 8 years old. Thanks for posting this!

Watching these old games you really notice how actively involved the fans are. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

I'm amazed at how out-numbered the Sioux fans were. Probably for the last time?

There were still a fair amount of Sioux fans there...we ended up flying into Boston and driving to Providence.  Not quite as easy as the BC fans who had about an hour drive, though.  Shorter distance than Grand Forks to Fargo.

3 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

There were still a fair amount of Sioux fans there...we ended up flying into Boston and driving to Providence.  Not quite as easy as the BC fans who had about an hour drive, though.  Shorter distance than Grand Forks to Fargo.

It sounded like it was the Dane County Coloseum. 

1 minute ago, dden3 said:

Is the Mike Stone on that 1982 team related to the current Stone in the NHL?

that 82 team was really loaded. 

This Gord Sherven was a very good player. Not one of the more recognizable names to me as the others but a helluva player. 

12 minutes ago, dden3 said:

This Gord Sherven was a very good player. Not one of the more recognizable names to me as the others but a helluva player. 

He looked good, didn't he?  Could turn on the jets.

And the Cooperalls Driver wore.   Never seen those in a college game  before--and only a few in high school years ago.  A little surprised Bob Johnson allowed it, but I guess it says something about the man. 

A total of 21 players from this title game played in the NHL.  UND (12) sent James Patrick, Craig Ludwig, Troy Murray, Dave Tippett, Rick Zombo, Phil Sykes, Jon Casey, Dave Donelly, Gord Sherven, Darren Jensen, Jim Archibald, and Dan Brennan to the NHL.  From Wisonsin (9) came Chris Chelios, Bruce Driver, Brian Mullen, Pat Flatley, Marc Behrend, John Newberry, Phil Houck, John Johannson, and Terry Kleisinger.  That's incredible!

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, burd said:

He looked good, didn't he?  Could turn on the jets.

And the Cooperalls Driver wore.   Never seen those in a college game  before--and only a few in high school years ago.  A little surprised Bob Johnson allowed it, but I guess it says something about the man. 

I googled Sherven and he had a few years in North American hockey and then had many years in German hockey. He is a community leader in Calgary in the investment business and works at the same outfit as Perry Berezan. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

A total of 21 players from this title game played in the NHL.  UND (12) sent James Patrick, Craig Ludwig, Troy Murray, Dave Tippett, Rick Zombo, Phil Sykes, Jon Casey, Dave Donelly, Gord Sherven, Darren Jensen, Jim Archibald, and Dan Brennan to the NHL.  From Wisonsin (9) came Chris Chelios, Bruce Driver, Brian Mullen, Pat Flatley, Marc Behrend, John Newberry, Phil Houck, John Johannson, and Terry Kleisinger.  That's incredible!

Thanks Blackheart for giving me all these gems to watch during the lockdown.  You should get a Sioux Award for your work!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Blackheart said:

My pleasure; hope they bring back a lot of good memories.

I think you have brought us more than good memories.  So much is said on this site about the the players, the team, and the game relative to what it once was.  Watching these games from different eras and coached by different coaches in serial fashion really helps with perspective. 

• Like 1

The Sioux punch their ticket to the 2000 Frozen Four with a win over upstart Niagara at Mariucci Arena. Andy Kollar, in for the injured Karl Goehring, backstopped the Sioux to a 4-1 victory.  I was fortunate enough to attend this one and I'll always remember the way Commie went after the Niagara player who plowed into Kollar in the second period. (right after the 1:05:35 mark)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

The Sioux punch their ticket to the 2000 Frozen Four with a win over upstart Niagara at Mariucci Arena. Andy Kollar, in for the injured Karl Goehring, backstopped the Sioux to a 4-1 victory.  I was fortunate enough to attend this one and I'll always remember the way Commie went after the Niagara player who plowed into Kollar in the second period. (right after the 1:05:35 mark)

I was there as well and I went absolutely ballistic when that happened. That punk took two or three extra steps so he could plow into Kollar. If this had happened in a different era, Commie would have ended his career.

56 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

Man was Panzer good. So good at dishing that puck. 
Thank you for posting!!

• Upvote 1

As much as the announcers liked to give Niagara a chance at winning this game, they never had a chance. The first period their strategy was "let's get the puck out of our end." The second period was "let's shoot the puck from the blue line or way out on the perimeter." The third period was pretty much "we're screwed". 

• Upvote 1

Thanks, Blackheart for posting!

Always remembered this Saturday afternoon game from Mariucci. It was three long  years between trips to the Frozen Four. I think UND would have dominated more had this

game not been played on an Olympic sheet. I think that kept their O-zone attack a bit more conservative.

I think there was some grumblings by Wisconsin fans/team about the fact UND got to play No. 6 Niagara while they had to play BC which was the 4 seed.

They believed they should have gotten the easier opponent. That season Wisconsin fell victim to what had happened to UND over the previous two seasons. Win the reg. season league crown and then sort of lose its game. That was a good Badger team, but finished with back-to-back losses.

Yes, Panzer was the difference maker in this one.

• Like 1