SiouxSports.com Forum

Best Sioux hockey memories

GeauxSioux

5 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Blackheart definitely the Siouxsports MOP (Most Outstanding Poster) for the year. In the absence of live sports, these old games are helping fill the void!!  Keep em coming!! 

I second this. And anyone else who has games they want to upload, please do so as well. :)

On 5/6/2020 at 4:38 PM, Blackheart said:

Things were looking pretty tough for the boys in this matchup with Minny during the 2012 WCHA Final Five.  Aaron Dell held the fort until Hakstol could rally the troops for another unforgettable finish.

I watched this game twice in the last two days. Forcing myself to watch the whole game to appreciate the last period.

thanks so much for posting!!

My favorite part: Mario single-handedly battling not 1, not 2, but 3 Gopher players right in front of the net and he’s the one that gets to the puck for a goal. 

The epitome of both UND hockey and UMN hockey all in one scene. :)

• Upvote 1

On 5/8/2020 at 8:29 AM, Blackheart said:

The Sioux go for their 3rd straight WCHA playoff championship against 'Furious' George Gwozdecky and the DU Pioneers.

Denver had zero chance to win that game.  UND would have beaten the Boston Bruins.  God they were playing confident. 

1 minute ago, brianvf said:

That was 2011.  This was their 2012 F5 run.
Although your point still stands.

That 2012 team didn't belong in the same building as the gophers after the injuries and the lineup they had to play with.  They didn't get to the F4, but IMHO that was Hakstol's best coaching job hands down.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

That 2012 team didn't belong in the same building as the gophers after the injuries and the lineup they had to play with.  They didn't get to the F4, but IMHO that was Hakstol's best coaching job hands down.

Yeah no doubt on his best coaching job.
I forgot about the nonstop season-ending injuries that year until Schloss' article reminded me:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/hockey/6483187-Herald-Top-5-memories-The-Timeout-game-was-a-comeback-for-the-ages

In July, the team's top recruit, NHL first-round draft pick J.T. Miller, bailed on UND to play major juniors in Canada. To fill his spot, UND went out and picked up someone with no Division-I offers, Connor Gaarder.

Then, UND lost someone new every month of the season.

In October, rookie Colten St. Clair was ruled ineligible because of a paperwork problem with his online high school.

In November, star rookie Rocco Grimaldi played his last game of the season because of a knee injury he sustained during a preseason skate. Grimaldi tried to give it a go a couple times but only managed to play four games before opting to have surgery.

On Dec. 30, forward Derek Rodwell suffered a season-ending injury.

On Jan. 14, forward Brendan O'Donnell suffered a season-ending injury, leaving UND only 18 healthy skaters. That meant UND had no scratches remaining. Every healthy person would be in the lineup for the rest of the season.

Then, on Feb. 24, walk-on forward Taylor Dickin went down with a season-ending injury, meaning that UND would have to play the rest of the season without a full lineup.

It wasn't just that UND had to play with 17 guys the rest of the year, it was a hodge-podge of a lineup. Several of UND's forwards were defensemen, walk-ons or, in one case, a walk-on defenseman.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Gotta agree with that; unbelievable that they were able to get as far as they did.

The Sioux take on the Huskies again...this time in the 2000 Final Five Semi's!  Andy Kollar is in goal for North Dakota for the injured Karl Goehring.

EDIT:  I butchered this video so bad in editing that I'm resubmitting a revised version; here it is...

• Upvote 2

On 5/9/2020 at 7:41 PM, brianvf said:

My favorite part: Mario single-handedly battling not 1, not 2, but 3 Gopher players right in front of the net and he’s the one that gets to the puck for a goal. 

The epitome of both UND hockey and UMN hockey all in one scene. :)

i have said the same thing many times. mario was never a prolific goal scorer, but no one worked harder on the ice.  he had 1 goal coming into the game, and scores 2 in the game..loved it!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Blackheart, since we are on a Sioux v St Cloud Huskies kick, do you have the 2001 Final 5 Championship game?  I realize we list in OT, but man that 3rd period comeback was great!!

Was that the game they ran our goalie on the OT winner?

23 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Was that the game they ran our goalie on the OT winner?

Yep.  Goehring was interfered with but they let the goal stand.  Sioux scored 3 goals in like the final 10 minutes to tie it up, including the game tying goal with 7 seconds left.  If was my first Final 5 I attended.  We didn't win, but damn was it fun!!

2 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Blackheart, since we are on a Sioux v St Cloud Huskies kick, do you have the 2001 Final 5 Championship game?  I realize we list in OT, but man that 3rd period comeback was great!!

I have it...maybe just put the 3rd period comeback out there...IIRC one of their defenseman forwards (Chris Purslow?)had an own goal trying to clear the puck from behind the net; banked it off his own goalie.

1 hour ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Yep.  Goehring Kollar was interfered with but they let the goal stand.  Sioux scored 3 goals in like the final 10 minutes to tie it up, including the game tying goal with 7 seconds left.  If was my first Final 5 I attended.  We didn't win, but damn was it fun!!

fyp ;)

6 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Here's the 3rd period comeback...man did Travis Roche have a bomb for a shot! (OT not included)