SiouxSports.com Forum

Best Sioux hockey memories

GeauxSioux

Thanks, Blackheart, for posting 2000. 

A couple of things that stand out after watching those old games, especially the '97 and 2000 NCs.   First, how much obstruction was going on in the way of holding, hooking, and interference.   Everybody was doing it.  I know we all became particularly aware of it after Parise arrived, but it was rampant in the "00 NC. 

Also, I remember watching the '00 game, but I didn't recall how dead tired the players were in the third.  It was a very intense game, with a lot of hitting and up and down action.  By the time they got a ways into the third, both teams looked exhausted.  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, burd said:

Thanks, Blackheart, for posting 2000. 

A couple of things that stand out after watching those old games, especially the '97 and 2000 NCs.   First, how much obstruction was going on in the way of holding, hooking, and interference.   Everybody was doing it.  I know we all became particularly aware of it after Parise arrived, but it was rampant in the "00 NC. 

Also, I remember watching the '00 game, but I didn't recall how dead tired the players were in the third.  It was a very intense game, with a lot of hitting and up and down action.  By the time they got a ways into the third, both teams looked exhausted.  

Yeah, I thought we were cooked after the second period; just couldn't seem to get anything going.  Goehring was rock solid in the third and the Sioux finally got a bounce with the first Goren goal.  The party lasted well into the morning, even ran into the team at a pub in Providence.  They were trying to fly back but their flight had been delayed so they were just hanging out waiting.  Too bad none of us had a camera or cell phones back then.  On second thought, it's probably for the best.;)

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

Yeah, I thought we were cooked after the second period; just couldn't seem to get anything going.  Goehring was rock solid in the third and the Sioux finally got a bounce with the first Goren goal.  The party lasted well into the morning, even ran into the team at a pub in Providence.  They were trying to fly back but their flight had been delayed so they were just hanging out waiting.  Too bad none of us had a camera or cell phones back then.  On second thought, it's probably for the best.;)

Conspiracy theory back then was their "flight delay" had more to do with Ralph Engelstad taking the boys out after the game than actual plane difficulties.  :D Not sure if anyone else had heard that story, but I had some pretty well connected sources that said that was likely the case.

4 hours ago, Blackheart said:

I was told the pilot got sick, so they had to find a replacement.

Not sure where he played Major Juniors. Moose Jaw or Regina sticks out. He then went to the Minot Top Guns (SJHL) for a season. I believe he enrolled at UND in the fall of 1996.

Under the NCAA rules, once you play Major Junior you have to sit out a year (lose a year of eligibility). 

Perhaps others can fill in more details.

5 minutes ago, 1972 said:

was wondering if anyone has the footage of commodore absolutely destroying the kid from wisconsin? remember watching it live, but i have never seen it since.  it was like sweeney was calling a boxing match

Alex Brooks, right?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I was told the pilot got sick, so they had to find a replacement.

It's what we heard as well as we flew with the team (I was in the band).  Best part of the night was after arena put keg of beer away all the fans under the stadium then went to a bar couple blocks away.  Somehow UND had gotten a hold of someone in government to allow bar open after hours.  I happened to be outside when police showed up and Roger Thomas put his arm around the cop and they talked briefly and then police left.  

We then went to airport and team showed up with hockey bags full of 30 racks. We still had to wait for flight and were only ones in airport everyone drinking.  Got on flight and someone was pushing cases up the aisle handing beers out with breakfast sandwich.  I'm sure I've messed up some details as a long time ago and I wasn't sober.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Just now, Smoggy said:

It's what we heard as well as we flew with the team (I was in the band).  Best part of the night was after arena put keg of beer away all the fans under the stadium then went to a bar couple blocks away.  Somehow UND had gotten a hold of someone in government to allow bar open after hours.  I happened to be outside when police showed up and Roger Thomas put his arm around the cop and they talked briefly and then police left.  

We then went to airport and team showed up with hockey bags full of 30 racks. We still had to wait for flight and were only ones in airport everyone drinking.  Got on flight and someone was pushing cases up the aisle handing beers out with breakfast sandwich.  I'm sure I've messed up some details as a long time ago and I wasn't sober.

Oh and we sat at the airport for a while.  IIRC plane wasn't even there and was coming in from MSP as chartered out of there so I don't think the Ralph partying stories hold.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

Alex Brooks, right?

i think that was his name.  if i remember correctly, the kid kinda took a run at commodore, and mike turned around and just started pummeling him.  he even tried to drop to the ice, but mike held him up to keep going, if im remembering correctly

• Like 1

Back 10-15 years ago (I think) UND played the Gophers in a best of 3 opening round WCHA playoff series in Grand Forks. The Sioux won on Friday, the Gophers won on Saturday, and then the good guys won the Sunday night rubber match. I would love to see that Sunday night game again. Due to a malfunction of my VCR back then, I didn't get it recorded. Anyone remember exactly what year that was?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NoDak Fan said:

Perhaps the 2005 NCAA Semifinal vs. Minnesota!

The E. Fabian game!

I think I forgot to set the VCR for that one as my oldest son was born that day.  We did have the game on in the hospital room though.(Post delivery).  I always referred to that one as the Travis Zajac game, he had two goals as well. :D

45 minutes ago, Sodbuster said:

Back 10-15 years ago (I think) UND played the Gophers in a best of 3 opening round WCHA playoff series in Grand Forks. The Sioux won on Friday, the Gophers won on Saturday, and then the good guys won the Sunday night rubber match. I would love to see that Sunday night game again. Due to a malfunction of my VCR back then, I didn't get it recorded. Anyone remember exactly what year that was?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Sodbuster said:

WCHA quarterfinals March 12-14, 2010 between Sioux and Gofer.

6-0 win, 2-4 loss, and 4-1 win

• Like 1

Would love to have the Game 3 against DU from 2003 as well.  Watched that game at Joe Sensers in Bloomington.  The entire Gofer hockey team including the Wooger were there as well.  The roof almost blew off the place when the Sioux (Furhrer?) scored the OT game winner.

• Like 1