SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Early Departures

scpa0305

On 3/28/2020 at 11:35 AM, geaux_sioux said:

10,000 hrs thing is hogwash. Repetitive stress injuries and burnout are obvious results of early specialization.

Totally agree.  The best athletes don’t need all those reps early.  It is too much.  

I already see it with my 9 year old’s peers.  After a major tryout a dad asked me in private how many hours per week we trained.  I said structured we did 2 hours of  team practice, 1/2 hour of on ice group skills, 1/2 hour of on-ice individual skills, and 1 hour of off-ice quickness and agility training (non- hockey specific)/ week during the season plus whatever game(s) is on the calendar.  Then he screws around with buddies or in the garage on his own, but I don’t count unstructured, as that is truly playtime.  

He shook his head realizing the error of his ways and said “well that’s why my kid didn’t show as well, the child is exhausted.  We have him doing 15+ hours/week structured.”  My jaw dropped.  

gotta keep it fun and keep them from burning out.  

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, nodakgirl93 said:

I only see JBD having a shot at playing in the NHL next season. Pinto has already stated that two years here was the plan. If anyone else leaves early they will be spending their time on a bus. 

Agree, and If JBD wants to skate next to Chabot, he needs another year of seasoning.  Pinto’s game totally translates to NHL too...that punishing style though will take a toll on the body over 82+ games...better to build it up in college another year.  It is not a race, it’s a process, and the NHL and AHL are not development leagues.  They are finished product leagues.

17 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

Agree, and If JBD wants to skate next to Chabot, he needs another year of seasoning.  Pinto’s game totally translates to NHL too...that punishing style though will take a toll on the body over 82+ games...better to build it up in college another year.  It is not a race, it’s a process, and the NHL and AHL are not development leagues.  They are finished product leagues.

Whoa, the AHL is not a development league? I'm gonna respectfully disagree with you Stevie-Y... Corey Perry, Ryan Getzlaf, Tyler Toffoli, John Carlson and Kyle Connor top of mind for a sample size will discredit your view/opinion. 

17 minutes ago, SiouxForever said:

Whoa, the AHL is not a development league? I'm gonna respectfully disagree with you Stevie-Y... Corey Perry, Ryan Getzlaf, Tyler Toffoli, John Carlson and Kyle Connor top of mind for a sample size will discredit your view/opinion. 

Finishing league then, how about that?  I just don’t see it as developmental the same way as say college or the CHL.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yzerman19 said:

Totally agree.  The best athletes don’t need all those reps early.  It is too much.  

I already see it with my 9 year old’s peers.  After a major tryout a dad asked me in private how many hours per week we trained.  I said structured we did 2 hours of  team practice, 1/2 hour of on ice group skills, 1/2 hour of on-ice individual skills, and 1 hour of off-ice quickness and agility training (non- hockey specific)/ week during the season plus whatever game(s) is on the calendar.  Then he screws around with buddies or in the garage on his own, but I don’t count unstructured, as that is truly playtime.  

He shook his head realizing the error of his ways and said “well that’s why my kid didn’t show as well, the child is exhausted.  We have him doing 15+ hours/week structured.”  My jaw dropped.  

gotta keep it fun and keep them from burning out.  

Watch In Search Of Greatness. It’s mostly about Gretzky and Jerry Rice. It talks a lot about what the difference is between good, really good, and exceptional is. Basically unstructured play is where greatness is cultivated. 

• Upvote 1

Unfortunately many of the same people that tell you not to specialize.....are the same ones renting summer ice on a regular basis for their own kids.  I agree that this can often lead to burnout, but that seems to hit more as they progress through middle school.  By then, how many potential late bloomers already quit because they got discouraged that the A teams were already predetermined each year by.....you guessed it....the kids that skated year round while the potential late bloomer was playing baseball.

• Upvote 1

Samberg, Richards, Perunovich.....

Big shoes to fill on the back end and in the net.  The same program won a national championship after they graduated a ton and got six games to all go the right way, so I'm never counting them out.  

1 minute ago, mattim said:

How many more Dogs will jump ship? Does anyone else feel bad about that? 

There won't be anymore. The only others who you would think had a chance already stated they would return. Looking at there roster, 3 Leaving was almost necessary for them to potentially take a step back. Defense / Goaltending took a big hit, but they will be very strong up front still.

50 minutes ago, mattim said:

How many more Dogs will jump ship? Does anyone else feel bad about that? 

Perunovich was 100% leaving no matter what.  Samburg was also as close as you get to being a lock to leave.  So those shouldn’t be shockers.  Wolf shocked me.

so they basically lost one...don’t feel bad about that.

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

Perunovich was 100% leaving no matter what.  Samburg was also as close as you get to being a lock to leave.  So those shouldn’t be shockers.  Wolf shocked me.

so they basically lost one...don’t feel bad about that.

Wolfe was a senior though so he didn’t have a choice.