SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Early Departures

scpa0305

9 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

In theory, yes, but it's a lot harder to make varsity teams at Eden Prairie or other schools with huge enrollment numbers compared to Branierd. Smith didn't become a D1 prospect until he focused on hockey in juniors, and it took some time. It's one thing to specialize at the age of 9 or 10 and another at 15 or 16.

EDIT: Branierd High has much higher enrollment than I thought. Learn something new every day...

That is a common but unproven belief. Great way to accomplish dreams is to stay in hs play your other sports and graduate with classmates. Plenty of time for juniors after hs. On the other hand maybe the U of Mn studies, Mayo studies, Dr. Andrews out of Birmingham are all wrong. Dr Mike Stuart whose sons played in the NHL was Chairman of Sports Med at Mayo when these were the studies discussed and recommendations made at the annual Mayo Sports Med Conferences on multiple years. What it takes are parents who support what’s best for their student athletes not what self proclaimed experts think is best for their bantam , hockey, elite hockey, hs hockey etc. Gopher Asst Coach Garret Raboin was multiple sport athlete for a mediocre Detroit Lakes team. He and another hockey player were star RB’s on the FB team who helped lead DL to a 4th State Championship their Sr. Year. He then played 3 years of Junior hockey and got a late scholarship at St. Cloud St. He was an All WCHA defenseman , team Captain, Academic All American, and a professional career in Europe for a few years.  Kids who are multiple sport athletes in hs tend to have a higher “upside” than those who played only one sport. Hakstol used to tell kids to stay out for FB or soccer in the fall.  How many “top prospects “ who only played hockey never seemed to develop at the college level after juniors. Too many kids are told from a very young age they have to focus on one sport if they want to play in college. It works for many but studies show they have more injuries and peak earlier. It isn’t just hockey. It’s tough to stay the course but that’s what the evidence says. Multiple sport athletes can still hone their favorite sport skills in the off season and play their favorite sport in the summer or part of the off season but playing one sport year round isn’t good for kids. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, iramurphy said:

That is a common but unproven belief. Great way to accomplish dreams is to stay in hs play your other sports and graduate with classmates. Plenty of time for juniors after hs. On the other hand maybe the U of Mn studies, Mayo studies, Dr. Andrews out of Birmingham are all wrong. Dr Mike Stuart whose sons played in the NHL was Chairman of Sports Med at Mayo when these were the studies discussed and recommendations made at the annual Mayo Sports Med Conferences on multiple years. What it takes are parents who support what’s best for their student athletes not what self proclaimed experts think is best for their bantam , hockey, elite hockey, hs hockey etc. Gopher Asst Coach Garret Raboin was multiple sport athlete for a mediocre Detroit Lakes team. He and another hockey player were star RB’s on the FB team who helped lead DL to a 4th State Championship their Sr. Year. He then played 3 years of Junior hockey and got a late scholarship at St. Cloud St. He was an All WCHA defenseman , team Captain, Academic All American, and a professional career in Europe for a few years.  Kids who are multiple sport athletes in hs tend to have a higher “upside” than those who played only one sport. Hakstol used to tell kids to stay out for FB or soccer in the fall.  How many “top prospects “ who only played hockey never seemed to develop at the college level after juniors. Too many kids are told from a very young age they have to focus on one sport if they want to play in college. It works for many but studies show they have more injuries and peak earlier. It isn’t just hockey. It’s tough to stay the course but that’s what the evidence says. Multiple sport athletes can still hone their favorite sport skills in the off season and play their favorite sport in the summer or part of the off season but playing one sport year round isn’t good for kids. 

Paragraphs are your friends.  :)

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, iramurphy said:

I knew kids forced to play multiple sports that were athletically gifted but had no heart in it, potentially taking a spot from someone who loves the game. Baseball was notorious for this, and the disdain for it likely fueled lacrosse's exponential growth. If you love the sports you play, by all means, but don't let it intrude on academics or do it to boost your college application. 

Injuries increased when summer became about training for sports rather than letting kids be kids. Take the summer off and you'll be much less likely to have issues.

On 3/26/2020 at 3:27 PM, Siouxhky19 said:

JBD - I think he is crazy to not sign pro contract unless the NCAA tourney being canceled is enough fuel for him: This guy has top-4 NHL defenseman written all over him and was the best defenseman on UND throughout the year.  Kiersted gets more points, but he's a gambler and can be a liability in the D-Zone at times.  Also note: UND has a LOT of talent they coming in on the back end for 2020-2021 season.

Speaking of Kiersted though, I think he's in a similar boat as #KawaHobey -  I think he'll end up signing a contract this summer.  His stock may never be higher with how many points he had this year and has great PP ability.  Same with above, there is too much talent on the blue-line joining the team for 2020-2021 that I'm not sure it makes sense to have any of the new guys wait another year (Kleven, Sanderson, Miller, Moore, Bast 2.0). 

As it stands right now, they have 11 D on the roster including incomers, and they probably will shave to 8 or 9 max:  Thoughts or any word on if Reiger would get cut or asked to leave? 

1) JBD  2) Kiersted  3) Gabe Bast  4) Frisch  5) Tychonick  6) Reiger  7) Kleven  8) Sanderson  9) Miller,  10) Luke Bast  11) Moore

No way young Bast is coming in next year. Definitely needs another year in the ushl. TBH Moore should play another year too if JBD and Kiersted come back. 

If they lose JBD and Kiersted, together, we’ll feel it next year.  Sanderson will be good...I could see Kleven struggling a bit on the O side. We already lost poolman and peski...4 of  6 is huge.

20 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

I knew kids forced to play multiple sports that were athletically gifted but had no heart in it, potentially taking a spot from someone who loves the game. Baseball was notorious for this, and the disdain for it likely fueled lacrosse's exponential growth. If you love the sports you play, by all means, but don't let it intrude on academics or do it to boost your college application. 

Injuries increased when summer became about training for sports rather than letting kids be kids. Take the summer off and you'll be much less likely to have issues.

Source?

31 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

Source?

I think the best players play regardless of how much their heart is into a particular sport.  Multiple sports are good for young athletes, reduce injuries, fuel passion for the sport they love.  Keep them busy, making more and different friends, and staying in shape while learning different skills.

summer off means different things too...completely off?  That takes away some great opportunities.  I do say mostly off most years.  Meaning less structure, but still doing a tournament or a camp or two.  Always good to be doing unstructured stuff with buddies.  As long as they are staying active is what really matters-,swimming, biking, skateboarding, tennis, baseball- you name it.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, iramurphy said:

Source?

The same types of studies you cited say year round training is a big part of repetitive stress injuries. They are open to interpretation; we clearly focused on different parts of the findings.

Playing so many sports doesn't leave much time for instruments, scouts/outdoors, travel, language camps, and other extra curriculars that are enriching in different ways. Smith making a career out of sports is great for him, but not realistic for parents or kids to strive for.

This also doesn't really account for the nature vs. nurture aspect of it, or the 10,000 hours to mastery philosophy. But at the end of the day, I just wish we could be watching the Sioux march through the playoffs right now.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

The same types of studies you cited say year round training is a big part of repetitive stress injuries. They are open to interpretation; we clearly focused on different parts of the findings.

Playing so many sports doesn't leave much time for instruments, scouts/outdoors, travel, language camps, and other extra curriculars that are enriching in different ways. Smith making a career out of sports is great for him, but not realistic for parents or kids to strive for.

This also doesn't really account for the nature vs. nurture aspect of it, or the 10,000 hours to mastery philosophy. But at the end of the day, I just wish we could be watching the Sioux march through the playoffs right now.

10,000 hrs thing is hogwash. Repetitive stress injuries and burnout are obvious results of early specialization.

• Upvote 2

On 3/23/2020 at 7:27 AM, AJS said:

Here's hoping for some good news this week on the UND front. Realizing the unprecedented times we are living in, I'm still kind of shocked of how little information has come out about which way UND guys are leaning. As I've written before, need the # to be 2 or less. 

No change at all since I posted this last week. How is everyone feeling about this? Lack of information is a good sign, bad sign? I don't really know how to feel.

1 hour ago, AJS said:

No change at all since I posted this last week. How is everyone feeling about this? Lack of information is a good sign, bad sign? I don't really know how to feel.

I’ve heard Berry on the radio 3 times since the season was stopped. I get the impression the departures will be minimum if any at all. 

But I don’t want to jinx anything by mentioning any names as returning because I could be interpreting things completely wrong. 

• Upvote 1