SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Early Departures

scpa0305

9 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Definitely. 

Kierstad, JBD, Sanderson, Frisch, Bast, Kleven, Moore, Reiger... That's a loaded back end. He definitely saw he'd be battling for ice and that's a tough spot for a junior second round pick.

I wish him the best. Seems like a great kid. Very happy it's Omaha and not UMD or DU.

To me, he  would have been in next year’s lineup hands down. I think the issue for him would have been the type of role. He plays more of a top 4/pp role. He may have had a tough time getting top 4/pp minutes...although I would have slotted him in at 4 to start the year.

I think there may have been more to the whole situation. 

40 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

To me, he  would have been in next year’s lineup hands down. I think the issue for him would have been the type of role. He plays more of a top 4/pp role. He may have had a tough time getting top 4/pp minutes...although I would have slotted him in at 4 to start the year.

I feel like the writing was on the wall at the end of last year unless he took a big step. He was behind Bast and Frisch. He was going to be battling for the 5/6 slot. Agreed with the PP time. 

2 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I feel like the writing was on the wall at the end of last year unless he took a big step. He was behind Bast and Frisch. He was going to be battling for the 5/6 slot. Agreed with the PP time. 

The big knock on him were the d zone turnovers...but at least two other dmen made as many or more than he did.  He also was 4th in pt/gm for the d core...as an underclassmen and having the shortest of leashes. +\- was solid too considering he played less games than all other dmen.

ok I’m done...off this topic :) 

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

At first glance I would think so as well......but it really would come down to how the competition turned out between JT, Sanderson, and Kleven and maybe more so with Sanderson.

Kierstad and JBD are going to play top minutes and likely get most time on the power play.

Really comes down to is would JT have been the Lefty on the 2nd pair and on 2nd power play unit over Sanderson?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, petey23 said:

At first glance I would think so as well......but it really would come down to how the competition turned out between JT, Sanderson, and Kleven and maybe more so with Sanderson.

Kierstad and JBD are going to play top minutes and likely get most time on the power play.

Really comes down to is would JT have been the Lefty on the 2nd pair and on 2nd power play unit over Sanderson?

Agreed....that makes more sense now.  And the answer is no.

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Tough loss for DU.  That means they lose 3 of their top 5 scorers in Pettersen, Mitchell, and Finley...plus Ward transferred out.

Brink, Guttman and Stapley are pretty formidable though, and they will have some experience with the transfers they are bringing in.  Tough hit for them though, especially when next year would have probably been the year he could have made a huge progression.

• 3 months later...