SiouxSports.com Forum

2020-21 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

1 hour ago, NoDakZ11 said:

Anyone know more about the Sean Dhooghe situation? Wondering if he graduated and is similar to Michaud’s situation, or if he’d have to sit out. Would UND have any interest either way?

Not as good offensively as Michaud....

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/hockey/5024100-After-consulting-with-Drake-Caggiula-UND-standout-Jordan-Kawaguchi-opts-to-return-for-senior-season

After UND's season suddenly came to an end due to the coronavirus outbreak, a handful of NHL teams lined up to try to sign Jordan Kawaguchi.

The UND junior forward had a breakout season, finishing first in the National Collegiate Hockey Conference and second in the nation in scoring with 45 points. He was named a Hobey Baker Award finalist and won U.S. College Hockey Online's national player of the year honor.

Kawaguchi had a decision to make: sign an NHL contract as an undrafted free agent or come back for his senior season?

Kawaguchi turned to a player who was once in his shoes for advice.

He called Drake Caggiula, who received free-agent offers after his junior season in 2015. Caggiula opted to return for his senior year, led UND to an eighth NCAA national title and was named the 2016 Frozen Four Most Outstanding Player.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2020 at 7:27 PM, rochsioux said:

Wonder how this affects any bonus for the coaches that are tied into how they finish in the NC$$ tourney?  Nothing paid out ?  If so that would be a bummer for them. 

Similarly I asked Brad what happens to all the host cities for this year's tournament. Nobody hosted. Do they put down any money that was lost? Would they consider pushing all hosts back a year and having a do over or is it just to bad, bid again?

2 hours ago, UNDMOORHEAD said:

I hope Adams and Mismash join him. After the way the season ended I would love to see them get a shot at a national title. 

Cool to see the note in the article that mentioned that Adams and Mismash were two of Jordan's first phone calls after he decided.
Would love to see the three of them come back for another go.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, SiouxForever said:

Is it too early to do a projected lineup and lines for fun during this slow time for next year? Obviously, the team doesn't know who's all staying and who's coming in yet, but we have a pretty good idea. 

Too early. Kawaguchi staying is huge, but Brad also listed five others that he felt had a realistic chance to jump that we still don't know their plans. 

3 hours ago, AJS said:

Too early. Kawaguchi staying is huge, but Brad also listed five others that he felt had a realistic chance to jump that we still don't know their plans. 

Yeah, and as mentioned by others,  defense could be a work in progress if we lose both the candidates for leaving early, having already lost Peski and Poolman.  If Kiersted stays, I could see him in the mix as Captain as well, for sure in the leadership group. 

Kierstad- might strike while the iron is hot...JBD to me is in the Oshie spot after year 2 (probably could go and succeed, but not screaming I'm too good for college hockey)...MIsmash- not ready, but Nashville will likely want to sign him to avoid the risk of him becoming a free agent next year...

Mishmash is even further away from being a regular NHL player than Kawaguchi.  If Mishmash leaves he will do irreparable harm to his long term chances.  If he views European hockey as his future he should leave now. IMHO of course. 

I think the way this season ended and the potential of this team to win it all this year will play a huge roll in whether guys leave early.  "Unfinished business" rings even more true for next year.  This team next year will go out and try to finish what their goal was at the beginning of this last season....winning a National Championship. Hopefully those on the fence to leave will have the same mentality as Gooch.

• Like 1