SiouxSports.com Forum

2020-21 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

3 minutes ago, cberkas said:

There maybe a black banner, depending it the team wants one and how to do it. 

Berry did bring up how UND hangs banners compared to other schools.

This is for winning the regular season?

31 minutes ago, as15 said:

Mismash - Adams - Kawaguchi

Blaisdell - Pinto - Gaber

Rizzo - Weatherby - Caulfield

Hain - Senden - Ness

I'm pretty close with you what you had.  I know Gaber will be an older freshman, but his G/GP this year in the USHL was .72 , compared to .61 for Brock Boeser's last year in the USHL.  Kid can score.  The center depth on next year's team will be pretty ridiculous.  I can see Weatherby being moved up with Pinto similar to some of the last few games of this year just to get him on the ice more.  

I forgot about Budy...given his age and skill level he'll probably crack the lineup.  I don't like how he finished the year in Langley though.  Numbers were not good, but his team was terrible. 

I could see Gaber getting a shot in the top 6....his ushl numbers were no joke. But he is old.  Nice attribute he has is his motor....which is why I slotted him with Senden and Ness.

2 minutes ago, cberkas said:

Berry said maybe 2.

Interesting.

I hope he keeps out better prospects in juniors.  I'm of the opinion playing is better than not playing.  Unless you do very well in juniors, we shouldn't be bringing in these kids unless they know full and well that they will be sitting.  And I still don't like that from a development standpoint.

42 minutes ago, as15 said:

Hain - Senden - Ness

I'm pretty close with you what you had.  I know Gaber will be an older freshman, but his G/GP this year in the USHL was .72 , compared to .61 for Brock Boeser's last year in the USHL.  Kid can score.  The center depth on next year's team will be pretty ridiculous.  I can see Weatherby being moved up with Pinto similar to some of the last few games of this year just to get him on the ice more.  

USHL production doesn't always translate to NCAA production. I hope it does though.

10 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

You mean one?

Just to clarify. Berry named the following. 

Defense: Sanderson / Kleven

Forward: Gaber / Rizzo / Budy  / Ness

Based on Jonny leaving and the Senior Class graduating five, there's a need for one more dman and one more forward that he did not name. 

44 minutes ago, AJS said:

Just to clarify. Berry named the following. 

Defense: Sanderson / Kleven

Forward: Gaber / Rizzo / Budy  / Ness

Based on Jonny leaving and the Senior Class graduating five, there's a need for one more dman and one more forward that he did not name. 

Oh, dman will be Mitchell (although Moore has already been drafted....so).  Not sure on the forward. Bowen?  Big kid but had an off draft year.  Kunz? Portz?

1 hour ago, cberkas said:

It was brought up in the chat. I guess they’d put it off by itself and not with the white or green banners.

Why wouldn't they put it with the Conference Champs banners?  That's what was won on the ice.

• Upvote 1

Posted 1 hour ago

Based on how this team this year, how it ended, and how many guys we got coming back, this may be the most anticipated seasons of UND hockey in a long time!!!  It's barely April and I am already excited for next year!!!!

Just so  you know...if Oct 3 is the start date, there are 184 days till the puck drops...

1 hour ago, as15 said:

Hain - Senden - Ness

I can see this scenario, as Blaisdell really impressed at the end.  It depends on the fits they are looking to achieve.  If they are looking for a hard line, Rizzo doesn’t fit the bill, but if they are looking for a balanced line, this could be the way they go, with the Senden line remaining the grinding line. Rizzo seemed to be a good set up guy, so I could see him setting up Pinto’s one timer  as well.

11 minutes ago, LuvHockey said:

Posted 1 hour ago

Based on how this team this year, how it ended, and how many guys we got coming back, this may be the most anticipated seasons of UND hockey in a long time!!!  It's barely April and I am already excited for next year!!!!

Just so  you know...if Oct 3 is the start date, there are 184 days till the puck drops...

We’ve seen loaded teams struggle out of the gate and never quite live up to expectations.  The gophers were heavy favorites to threepeat but never quite put it together.  We’ve seen how team chemistry can change from one year to another, but with a solid core of leaders coming back that have seen both ends of it, I like our chances for the chemistry to stay strong.  If Berry is anything like Hakstol, he has already talked to the guys on the fence of coming back about the commitment required to have another great year, because sometimes when a team is loaded with talent they can assume it is going to come easy.  The guys have seen what that kind of commitment can do with their turnaround last year.  The players and fans should both be super excited, but I’m sure the coaches will remain all about the process, especially when things aren’t going perfect and fans are freaking out.

Nice to have some good news after a miserable few weeks. Really liking the look of the roster so far. Some proven production up front, very talented D group, and two goalies who have seen a good amount of time. I think my lineup would look like this right now.

Mismash-Adams-Kawaguchi
Hain-Pinto-Gaber
Weatherby-Senden-Ness
Keane/Rizzo-Blaisdell-Caulfield
Kiersted-JBD
Kleven-Bast
Sanderson-Frisch
Scheel
Thome

• Upvote 1

Remember when Rizzo was the prize recruit everyone was excited about?  Frankly, I have no idea what to expect from him.  He could struggle to be consistent at what it takes at this level to be relevant, much like Adams the first few years, or hopefully his nagging injuries are behind him and his skill level is such that he works well playing with top end talent.  Hopefully it’s the latter, because I don’t know if he would be the type of role player Blaisdell was before he moves up in the lineup, but then again, the coaches probably already have a good idea where he will plug into the program. I think we have the depth if there is a bit of a learning curve.