SiouxSports.com Forum

2020-21 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

4 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Frisch-Kiersted

JBD-Sanderson

Bast-Kleven

Moore.....

Seems like Reiger's days on D may be over with. 

I'd almost see:

Sanderson-JBD

Kiersted-Bast

Kleven-Frisch

A good mix of experience and talent on each pair.  The top two are basically interchangeable, both very good 2-way pairings.  Kleven-Frisch could get some easier matchups as they further develop.  Could be a heck of a pairing in the second half of next year.

Here's where we sit.

Leaving

• Tychonick

Waiting On

• Pinto
  • Bernard-Docker

Here's my question. Are we actually waiting on word from Pinto? Or is this more of a JBD situation from last year? By that I mean he was never an early departure risk, so we wouldn't get a statement like we have from Kawaguchi, Kierstad, Adams, Mismash. 

I'm not going to move the goalposts, I said before anyone announced their decision, if this team keeps the # of early departures (now including transfers as well) to two or less, they will be in great shape. 

2 hours ago, AJS said:

Here's where we sit.

Leaving

• Tychonick

Waiting On

• Pinto
  • Bernard-Docker

Here's my question. Are we actually waiting on word from Pinto? Or is this more of a JBD situation from last year? By that I mean he was never an early departure risk, so we wouldn't get a statement like we have from Kawaguchi, Kierstad, Adams, Mismash. 

I'm not going to move the goalposts, I said before anyone announced their decision, if this team keeps the # of early departures (now including transfers as well) to two or less, they will be in great shape. 

Pinto stated coming in the plan was two years. I don't see how a shortened season would change that. 

On 4/8/2020 at 3:18 PM, as15 said:

I'd almost see:

Sanderson-JBD

Kiersted-Bast

Kleven-Frisch

A good mix of experience and talent on each pair.  The top two are basically interchangeable, both very good 2-way pairings.  Kleven-Frisch could get some easier matchups as they further develop.  Could be a heck of a pairing in the second half of next year.

If miller AND Moore come in next year they’ll push Frisch/Bast hard.  Also, what if miller gets drafted before kleven?

15 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

If miller AND Moore come in next year they’ll push Frisch/Bast hard.  Also, what if miller gets drafted before kleven?

Frisch is fully aware of the stakes at hand. He almost deferred and backed out/ left UND prior to coming to UND.

He had a great year and exceeded expectations, no question.  However, if Miller comes in and he's the real deal. Play your best players. I think EF will understand. He's a team player and knows he's a 4-year college guy and with the correct attitude and work ethic can develop into a real nice player that "could"play professionally somewhere when it is all said and done. 

Also have to take into context, freshie d-man take awhile to adapt to the college game. Kleven or other freshie D could see some healthy scratch games right away. Sanderson, not so much...

1 hour ago, SiouxForever said:

Frisch is fully aware of the stakes at hand. He almost deferred and backed out/ left UND prior to coming to UND.

He had a great year and exceeded expectations, no question.  However, if Miller comes in and he's the real deal. Play your best players. I think EF will understand. He's a team player and knows he's a 4-year college guy and with the correct attitude and work ethic can develop into a real nice player that "could"play professionally somewhere when it is all said and done. 

Also have to take into context, freshie d-man take awhile to adapt to the college game. Kleven or other freshie D could see some healthy scratch games right away. Sanderson, not so much...

Ethan Frisch will play even if Miller, Moore, Sanderson and Kleven come in and they are all as good as advertised. He's exactly the type of player the UND coaches love. He's a good skater, is smart with the puck, and he's a very good character guy. When he gets stronger, he is going to be very good. I see him as a Colton Poolman type player. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, skateshattrick said:

Ethan Frisch will play even if Miller, Moore, Sanderson and Kleven come in and they are all as good as advertised. He's exactly the type of player the UND coaches love. He's a good skater, is smart with the puck, and he's a very good character guy. When he gets stronger, he is going to be very good. I see him as a Colton Poolman type player. 

I don't know if it'd be such a bad thing for Miller, Moore, Kleven, and Frisch to each play 20-25 games and rotate on the 3rd pair.  Injuries are inevitable.  Kiersted and Bast will be seniors, JBD most assuredly will leave after next year (if not this year, fingers crossed).

Going into 21-22 season, you'd have:

Sanderson (So.) - Miller (So.)

Kleven (So.) - Frisch (Jr.)

Moore (So.) - Morrow (Fr.)

Extras:  L. Bast (Fr.), TBD (probably a C. Johnson/Rieger type replacement)

That is a lot of youth in the lineup even with Miller and Moore coming next year.  If they both defer til the fall of 2021, UND will probably have to ice 3 rookie dman every night in 2021.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SiouxForever said:

Weird...wonder why he would have left before last year???  As opposed to play another year of juniors. He was an undrafted true freshman, basically unheard of.

3 minutes ago, as15 said:

I don't know if it'd be such a bad thing for Miller, Moore, Kleven, and Frisch to each play 20-25 games and rotate on the 3rd pair.  Injuries are inevitable.  Kiersted and Bast will be seniors, JBD most assuredly will leave after next year (if not this year, fingers crossed).

That is a lot of youth in the lineup even with Miller and Moore coming next year.  If they both defer til the fall of 2021, UND will probably have to ice 3 rookie dman every night in 2021.

Berry has shown that he is very conservative when it comes to injuries, and I would guess he will sit someone with a few dings just to make sure there aren't any nagging injuries come the second half of the season when you need all your players fresh. 

5 minutes ago, as15 said:

I would really like to see Miller come in, and possibly Moore, but not at the expense of JBD. IMHO, JBD is/was the best defenseman in the NCHC, including Perunovich. Perunovich is a difference maker with his vision and offensive abilities, but JBD is no slouch offensively and he's WAY better defensively than Perunovich. JBD is special. I have followed UND hockey for many years, and only James Patrick and Travis Roche would qualify as defensemen as good or possibly better. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, skateshattrick said:

I would really like to see Miller come in, and possibly Moore, but not at the expense of JBD. IMHO, JBD is/was the best defenseman in the NCHC, including Perunovich. Perunovich is a difference maker with his vision and offensive abilities, but JBD is no slouch offensively and he's WAY better defensively than Perunovich. JBD is special. I have followed UND hockey for many years, and only James Patrick and Travis Roche would qualify as defensemen as good or possibly better. 

My post was referring to the 21-22 season.  I'd say there is almost 0% change JBD would return for his senior season, so there is no one coming in at his expense.  He is arguably ready now, imagine what he'll be a year from now.

It's kind of funny, because all of the hype a year or two before they came here was all about Tychonick, not JBD.  In fact it wasn't a sure thing that JBD was even going to come in when he did until closer to his draft year.   It just goes to show you that things can change fast and that guys that we think would be replacing certain players aren't always going to produce.  Who would have thought Frisch would play as much as he did this past year?

23 minutes ago, skateshattrick said:

I didn't see Roche in person much, and your really need to be in the rink to get a full idea of someone's play in all areas of the ice.  That said, I did not think Roche was at Patrick's level defensively.  But he had those wonderfully soft hands to go along with his on-ice intelligence, which would serve him even better in today's college game.  

3 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

Weird...wonder why he would have left before last year???  As opposed to play another year of juniors. He was an undrafted true freshman, basically unheard of.

He didn’t want to play another year of juniors. Rumor has it, he was looking to play elsewhere. 

Not necessarily in these positions but this team without new blood would make the top 15 pairwise: Three lines that would play on any team in the country and two sets of D that would also play major minutes anywhere:

Mishmash-Adams-Guchi

Weatherby-Pinto-Caulfield

Hain-Senden-Blaisdell

Keane-Albrect-Reiger

Kierstad JDB

Frisch Bast

We’re pretty sure of some who are coming in but not all, Berry has some difficult decisions to make. He will have to do his best to convince someone(s) to hold back another year. I know there is a limit to how many can dress, but what is the limit of how many he can carry on the roster. If he does not know what to do with one of his returnees or recruits can he carry an extra player (defenseman) who may not see much ice unless we have injuries? Albrecht, for example, is a practice player and it appears he will not see ice time except for an exhibition game, how many can we carry like him rather than cut a returning player? Does he shorten the number we can have on the roster?

1 hour ago, mattim said:

Not necessarily in these positions but this team without new blood would make the top 15 pairwise: Three lines that would play on any team in the country and two sets of D that would also play major minutes anywhere:

Mishmash-Adams-Guchi

Hain-Senden-Blaisdell

Keane-Albrect-Reiger

Kierstad JDB

Frisch Bast

We’re pretty sure of some who are coming in but not all, Berry has some difficult decisions to make. He will have to do his best to convince someone(s) to hold back another year. I know there is a limit to how many can dress, but what is the limit of how many he can carry on the roster. If he does not know what to do with one of his returnees or recruits can he carry an extra player (defenseman) who may not see much ice unless we have injuries? Albrecht, for example, is a practice player and it appears he will not see ice time except for an exhibition game, how many can we carry like him rather than cut a returning player? Does he shorten the number we can have on the roster?

It was not many years ago we could only dress 17 due to injuries.  Guys like Albrecht and Keane and Reiger are a surprisingly indispensable part of the equation.

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

Our defense is going to be filthy next year.

If the forwards play their role, which I think they will.   Watching those games (all winning, which makes them easy to watch anxiety free),  when the team was strongest, our forecheck and backcheck game was amazingly good.   Other teams just could not get comfortable.  It made our D game easier, and I think it led to more scoring from D, who skated up into the play a lot.

9 minutes ago, squirtcoach said:

It was not many years ago we could only dress 17 due to injuries.  Guys like Albrecht and Keane and Reiger are a surprisingly indispensable part of the equation.

I remember when we only had 17 healthy players, they did well and some players stepped up who had not seen much ice that season. But, how many can we carry on the roster? I do not mean to belittle Albrecht. Keene is a valuable forward who we will count on next year. Reiger may be in a defenseman numbers crunch if it comes down to losing one of our D recruits. So, how many we can carry on the roster? Is that a viable option to the numbers problem we may face next year. Carry more than we need and make everyone earn their ice time?  It is just a question that I do not know the answer for. 

2 hours ago, mattim said:

Mishmash-Adams-Guchi

Hain-Senden-Blaisdell

Keane-Albrect-Reiger

Kierstad JDB

Frisch Bast

Of those 9 forwards watch out for Weatherby........IMO he'll make the biggest jump from this past season to next.